Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to use stock seat belts with Kirkeys?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 06:58 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Is it possible to use stock seat belts with Kirkeys?

The contraption that the belt plugs into on the driver's right seems a little more complex than the simple connector on the driver's left. Is it possible to use?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I'm running an untrashield pro road race... the stock receptical won't fit between the tunnel and the seat.

I've seen where someone got the receptical from a van that was on a floppy piece of belt like an airplane belt. He then could run it through the lap belt opening.

Eventually I'll do that... for now I'll just throw my harnesses on when I'm tooling around.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:13 PM
jrz1
Pro

yeah, getting a different "temporary" receptical probably makes sense. Hadn't even thought of the fit issue, just looked at the contraption on the stock seat and it looked more complicated than simply unbolting a receptical. I'll be swapping out seats most of the time so it won't be an issue but thought it might be nice for quicker ingress/egress (as quick as that can be with a race seat).
Old 06-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Westwopper
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my stock seat belt with my Road Race Deluxe.... Bolt the right side adapter behind the right rear up right...

Email me for pics if you want or search my posts.. I've posted pics before....

Regards,
Tony
Old 06-27-2007, 12:29 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The stock seat belt will not work with a road race seat even if you can mount the inner receptacle. The belt cannot fit through the belt pass throughs in the seat side. It has to go over at least one or both of them. This destroys the usefulness of the belt since the belt has to fit over your hips and be in contact with them not riding a couple of inches in the air over your hips. In an accident your body would slide right under the belt and your neck would do a nice job of catching the shoulder belt and snapping your head off.

Bill
Old 06-27-2007, 02:42 AM
jrz1
Pro

lovely
Old 06-27-2007, 04:18 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couldn't you slot the stock anchor through the left side and mount a floppy right side anchor that fits through the right side lap belt opening? Then the three point would still go across your hips, not sure how it would work for the shoulder part, though.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:05 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

You could, but the stock lap belt goes over the alumium sides and does not sit on your lap. SO it really does little good.

Just ware the harness.

What I have done is pull the stock belt and attach it to the little hook on the center council door / compartment. It looks like I am wearing the DOT belt. Of course there is no safty value.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Westwopper
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The stock seat belt will not work with a road race seat even if you can mount the inner receptacle. The belt cannot fit through the belt pass throughs in the seat side. It has to go over at least one or both of them. This destroys the usefulness of the belt since the belt has to fit over your hips and be in contact with them not riding a couple of inches in the air over your hips. In an accident your body would slide right under the belt and your neck would do a nice job of catching the shoulder belt and snapping your head off.

Bill
Bill,

You had me scratchin... I'm glad you posted that. I hadn't been back in my car to double check till last Sunday, but my seat belt does my contact with my hips. I'll snap a few photos Sunday if you would like. I'm kind of a skinny dude so I have a size 16 kirkey roadrace deluxe.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:30 PM
jrz1
Pro

I'm just swapping the seats out. too much of a pain getting in/out. got a nice bruise where my ***/upper thigh consistently hit the side bolster getting in.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:51 PM
HeyFred
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is what I used when I installed my racing seat.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:50 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by HeyFred
Here is what I used when I installed my racing seat.
That is OK for the inside belt but the outside belt will still go over the seat instead of down against your pelvic bone. If the full belt isn't laying across your pelvic girdle you really are not wearing a seat belt. Just think about the forces in a crash. Your body is going to move forward under the belt and your shoulder harness will not work properly. The way the stock belts work is by holding your lower body in place while the upper part pivots over the lap belt and is restrained by the shoulder harness. This allows the upper part of the body to pivot outward around the shoulder harness and keeps the two (if there are two people in the car) melons from popping each other during the crash. Lift that belt even a little bit off the pelvis and you are in trouble. Pull your race seat and put the stock one in when on the highway.

Bill
Old 07-08-2007, 09:26 PM
HeyFred
Instructor

Bill
Thank you for the input.

I have a solution so the stock belt can be used and work correctly.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by HeyFred
I have a solution so the stock belt can be used and work correctly.

It looks like it might work but you need to wrap that loose end back through the buckle or the belt will pull free from the buckle when force is applied to it. Check the proper way to wrap the belts through a buckle here: http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/docs/Co...structions.pdf The proper way to wrap the belt is shown on page 37 of 73.

Bill
Old 07-09-2007, 12:56 AM
HeyFred
Instructor

The picture is deceiving.
I did it as per the instrutions you listed.

Keith
Old 10-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Silverton
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried HeyFred's solution on a C6? If so, does the Chevy Astro belt receiver fit? I'm ready to install my race seat, so I'm desperate! Thanks!
Old 10-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Since no one else has mentioned it.....
Racing seat belts are not DOT approved. Therefore they are not legal for street use. Hopefully your local patrolman will not know this.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it possible to use stock seat belts with Kirkeys?

Quick Reply: Is it possible to use stock seat belts with Kirkeys?