Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stopping Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 11:07 PM
linutux
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stopping Brake Squeal

I just installed Hawk HP+ pads on my C6 Z06; and they squeal almost as good as they stop.

Has anyone used BG's "Stop Squeal"?

Are the pads still trackable with this treatment?
Old 06-25-2007, 12:30 AM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by linutux
I just installed Hawk HP+ pads on my C6 Z06; and they squeal almost as good as they stop.

I was just about to purchase a set for my car. Is the squealing really bad or just once in a while. My stock pads have just started to squeal a little bit when light braking. Do they also leave more brake dust than the stock pads?
Old 06-25-2007, 12:51 AM
linutux
Pro

Originally Posted by C5Lion
I was just about to purchase a set for my car. Is the squealing really bad or just once in a while. My stock pads have just started to squeal a little bit when light braking. Do they also leave more brake dust than the stock pads?
I've barely bedded them in; so, I'm not sure how streetable they'll be. I installed them primarily for track use anyway.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:06 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I'm not sure anyone in this section cares about brake squeal.

I run HP+ for the street and just live with it. I've tried those stop squeal compounds on other cars and they work temporarily.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:20 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by linutux

Stay away from any antisqueel products if you want to stop your car.

Agreesive brake pads squeel when braking too lightly. HP+ brake pads are agressive street or moderate to light track pads.

Too stop brake squeel brake harder and latter.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:37 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I bought a tube of that rubbery red stuff to put on the back of the pad that claims to stop squeal. It does. Unfortunately, it also chars and disintergrates. After changing my pads a couple of days ago, I discovered nothing left of the rubbery goo. The pads did not squeal, though. So, therefore, I simply installed the next set without anything on them. The clips in the calipers seem to do a fairly good job by themselves.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:50 AM
codysdad
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem here

I did Buttonwillow yesterday and I put HP+ on my C-6 just to have a little better brake. Noticed the sqealing right away(street driving) but when I got to the track they also smelled like they where burning
maybe the burning will stop the sqealing? LOL
Old 06-25-2007, 10:03 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

HP+ pads will squael when they are cold but once you get some heat in them , they are quiet(er). Driving in city traffic where sppeds don't exceed 25-30 or so and you are just slowing down for traffic lights and such is where they will squeal the most.

I run HP+ pads for track days on my 87 but I keep a separate set of HP+pads and rotors just for that purpose. It doesnt take me too long to swap over to these when preparing for a track day. I can run HPS pads for the street and autocross and I don't have to put up with any cold squaealing. The HP+ pads don't have as good a cold bite as the HPS pads which is another reason I swap pads/rotors.

I had read something a couple years ago about swapping Hawk HPS and HP+ pads just for things like infrequent track days and the comment was that re-bedding was not required when the pads were exchanged as the compounds in the HPS and HP+ were similar enough that it was not required. Was this a true statement?
Old 06-25-2007, 10:22 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why I run 2 seperate pads, one for track and one for street. But as a compromise, if you put the HP+ in just the rear and the stock pad up front for the street, they will not squeel or very very little. Then when going to the track, I just replace the fronts and to a race pad, and the HP+'s are fine as a rear pad, so it works out well.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:40 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

The switching of the fronts only from HP to HP+ sounds like a reasonable approach as an approach itself. However, perhaps you might try running HP+'s on the street and then switching to the HP blue on front for HPDE. Just a thought.......

Get notified of new replies

To Stopping Brake Squeal

Quick Reply: Stopping Brake Squeal