Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Carbotech backing plate and mounting techniques...tested!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 09:45 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Carbotech backing plate and mounting techniques...tested!

Just FYI, Carbotech brought a set of brakes (XP12s) to CMP this past Monday and they were mounted using no rivets or bonding material...just little "teeth" that the actual friction matieral bonds to...and around. I bolted them on my vette and ran several laps and several sessions with them with great results. They will soon be switching to this procedure for all their brakes. They are also looking at using some zinc coated backing plates (no more painting) as well. All of these changes are a good thing and will be available shortly.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Is it normal for the paint to go bye-bye after a few sessions... my front XP-12 turned grey and the rear XP-10s lost the red instantly. I don't really care one way of the other.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:12 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Yep! ...if you're using them the way they were intended/designed!
Old 06-20-2007, 02:15 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The paint literally pealed off my front XP10s. The XP12s after 1 weekend not so bad. We'll see after a couple more.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:26 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

that's nothing, the roof is pealing off of our C6Z!

Actually, you are better off without pain on the backing plates...any coating simply locks the heat in more.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
that's nothing, the roof is pealing off of our C6Z!

Actually, you are better off without pain on the backing plates...any coating simply locks the heat in more.
Are you sure? I thought there was no difference with paint holding in heat. Many calipers come painted. There are also paints that reflect heat.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:08 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

it is minor of course, but any layer of anything (unless it is something like a heat sink) will have some insulation effects. Reflecting heat is a different matter, but I'm talking about the friction heat that is generated INSIDE the pad being able to escape through the metal backplate.

Painting the calipers is a different matter. The heat is generated outside of the caliper, and you are trying to keep it out. Paint may or may not help with that. There is no direct friction heat generated in the caliper, just convection/radiation from the rotors, and conduction through the pistons.

I mentioned in another thread that I like running Ti backing plates on the piston side of the caliper, between the pad and the piston. However, I've found that If I run them both inside and outside, and don't drill some breather holes as well (except directly around the piston), the pads get overheated and actually glaze over quicker. By keeping heat away from the calipers, it actually keeps too much heat in the pad.

This is all the minutiae of racing....details that only come out if you race LIKE I USED TO when I was fast!
Old 06-20-2007, 04:08 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

it is minor of course, but any layer of anything (unless it is something like a heat sink) will have some insulation effects. Reflecting heat is a different matter, but I'm talking about the friction heat that is generated INSIDE the pad being able to escape through the metal backplate.

Painting the calipers is a different matter. The heat is generated outside of the caliper, and you are trying to keep it out. Paint may or may not help with that. There is no direct friction heat generated in the caliper, just convection/radiation from the rotors, and conduction through the pistons.

I mentioned in another thread that I like running Ti backing plates on the piston side of the caliper, between the pad and the piston. However, I've found that If I run them both inside and outside, and don't drill some breather holes as well (except directly around the piston), the pads get overheated and actually glaze over quicker. By keeping heat away from the calipers, it actually keeps too much heat in the pad.

This is all the minutiae of racing....details that only come out if you race LIKE I USED TO when I was fast!
Old 06-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Dave Farmer said "I mentioned in another thread that I like running Ti backing plates on the piston side of the caliper, between the pad and the piston. However, I've found that If I run them both inside and outside, and don't drill some breather holes as well (except directly around the piston), the pads get overheated and actually glaze over quicker. By keeping heat away from the calipers, it actually keeps too much heat in the pad."

Dave, a little clarification. If you just run them on the piston side, do you still need to drill some breather holes in that single backing plate? And, do you currently run one with or without holes or two with holes?
My plates are setting in the shop ready to be installed and I wondered where all that heat was going to go.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:22 PM
99BlackZ51
Racer

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Just FYI, Carbotech brought a set of brakes (XP12s) to CMP this past Monday and they were mounted using no rivets or bonding material...just little "teeth" that the actual friction matieral bonds to...and around. I bolted them on my vette and ran several laps and several sessions with them with great results. They will soon be switching to this procedure for all their brakes. They are also looking at using some zinc coated backing plates (no more painting) as well. All of these changes are a good thing and will be available shortly.

Hey Chris,

Have you tried the XP16's yet? I am planning on running them for the first time this weekend at the Sprints and was wondering if they were as good as Carbo claims.

Scott
Old 06-21-2007, 10:58 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Yeah, I tested them. I didn't really notice any appreciable performance increase (over the XP12) and I think they actually wore a bit quicker....from what I remember. They are always coming up with new compounds, so test them and let us know what you think.

Best of luck to you!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To New Carbotech backing plate and mounting techniques...tested!

Quick Reply: New Carbotech backing plate and mounting techniques...tested!