Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TTA Terror is getting closer to testing

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 07:12 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default TTA Terror is getting closer to testing

Dropped off Jake's '99 FRC after installing new bushings, springs, anti-sway bars, camber blocks, front studs, new TT bushings, RPM trans, Dewitt rad with EOC and about a dozen other items at the alignment shop. We set the ride height and rake fairly well before hand.

I have used these guys for lots of tire mounting and other stuff so they are pretty good guys. I dropped it off and told them the specs I wanted to use. I talked to the tech since this car has very little in common with a normal C5 alignment. I told him all the non-stock items.

I had a call later today asking if I could come by in the morning since it looked like it was going to take 3-4 days to get the car aligned

Luckily, they called me before they just did something to make it work. In their defense they have never seen a C5 set up like this and did not know about shifting the rear saddle over to get the rear cambers equal (guess they did not spend much time on this forum!) since I have the blocks in.

It looks like 1.5 rear and 2.7 front camber is not going to be a problem.

It is going to be fun sorting this car out at VIR if all works as planned and showing TimZO6 what the back of a winning car at NASA TT looks like....
Old 06-20-2007, 10:47 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Man, you guys try to hard. I just toss on a set of brake pads (randomly take them out of my brake box) & throw some scrubs on and I'm off.

Hell, normally I run with the AC on.

BTW you going to be at MO in Sept?
Old 06-21-2007, 06:02 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Man, you guys try to hard. I just toss on a set of brake pads (randomly take them out of my brake box) & throw some scrubs on and I'm off.

Hell, normally I run with the AC on.

BTW you going to be at MO in Sept?
This car is a little older, with a few more miles, than yours! Much of the "upgrades" were driven by age and mileage. Being a FRC in a ZO6 world we are trying to see if suspension will overcome the LS1 vs LS6 disadvantage (which is very noticeable).

My ZO6 is treated the same way. I had unknown compound Carbotech used pads I picked up from Falcon plus some used tires otherwise it is the car I drive to work (during daylight...headlight issue...)this last weekend at Rockingham. I have even been known to forget to turn off the AC .

One Lap pretty much hammered my play budget this year but we are trying to come up with a proposal that meets the family CFnO expectations to get to MO in Sep.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:50 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Mighty fine looking beast
Old 06-21-2007, 09:03 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by varkwso
This car is a little older, with a few more miles, than yours! Much of the "upgrades" were driven by age and mileage. Being a FRC in a ZO6 world we are trying to see if suspension will overcome the LS1 vs LS6 disadvantage (which is very noticeable).

My ZO6 is treated the same way. I had unknown compound Carbotech used pads I picked up from Falcon plus some used tires otherwise it is the car I drive to work (during daylight...headlight issue...)this last weekend at Rockingham. I have even been known to forget to turn off the AC .

One Lap pretty much hammered my play budget this year but we are trying to come up with a proposal that meets the family CFnO expectations to get to MO in Sep.

I'm only kidding, you know I take it a little more serious than I claim
Old 06-21-2007, 12:01 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a call later today asking if I could come by in the morning since it looked like it was going to take 3-4 days to get the car aligned
It's a sign to pick up Hardbar's alignment tool and a SmartCamber gauge! :-)
Old 06-21-2007, 05:22 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gkmccready
It's a sign to pick up Hardbar's alignment tool and a SmartCamber gauge! :-)
I hope the buying spree has abated a bit.....
Old 06-21-2007, 05:25 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

I'm only kidding, you know I take it a little more serious than I claim
I saw your takeoff tire at CMP - so I know you are my kind of guy I think I can give a few more tips there to beat us even more next time...

jeff
Old 06-21-2007, 05:49 PM
racer02
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The camber on this thing looks impressive now.....a view from the side in the parking lot at work is subtle the masses, but surely noticed as "purposefully racy" by me and a few others. Not everybody understands the pure sexiness of lots of negative camber and a roadkill dragging ride height.

Forget the LS1 vs. LS6 battle. I will have to get some brake pads and and decent alignment and see how the LS2 truck motor and runflats compare to the LS1 and track suspension

Don't worry...my point by finger probably still works.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jeff, I just want to apologize in advance to you and other members who will be passed by a lowly camaro at the ncm and chin events the week of July 4th.

Tim
Old 06-22-2007, 08:20 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I saw your takeoff tire at CMP - so I know you are my kind of guy I think I can give a few more tips there to beat us even more next time...

jeff
I'm all ears but what I really need is Mid Ohio tips.

BTW the steel belts dig in to give you more traction. After one of my fastest laps at the NASA Grattan event I came in to notice a 2 inch ban of metal showing all around my rear tire
Old 06-22-2007, 12:17 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Timz06
Jeff, I just want to apologize in advance to you and other members who will be passed by a lowly camaro at the ncm and chin events the week of July 4th.

Tim
You must mean on the trailer going up or coming back

I ran MO on One Lap for the first time in about 20 years (in a rental V6 Mustang) - what a great track and great time. I really cannot pass on any good tips there at this time for a C5....

It was my favorite track in all of One Lap though.

You have spent too much time with snow chains and studded tires it is ok for track tires to have rubber showing you know

Originally Posted by racer02
.... will have to get some brake pads and and decent alignment and see how the LS2 truck motor and runflats compare to the LS1 and track suspension ....
Come on out in TTA - I have yet to see a C6 there in the SE...no finger needed in TT....(unless you feel the need to express...)
Old 06-22-2007, 12:52 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I'm all ears but what I really need is Mid Ohio tips.
Since you're in TTA also, I'll suggest you short shift and apex early
Old 06-22-2007, 02:06 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Aquaman
Since you're in TTA also, I'll suggest you short shift and apex early

Get notified of new replies