Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would like to try this

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Tomsred84vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would like to try this

Hello all, I am new here and was wondering if you could give me some information. I am very close to Sebring and would like to run my car around the track for fun. Who do I need to contact about this and what do I need. Is there anything special I have to do, school etc. ? My car is an 84 Z51 with a couple of bolt ons, I just want to go out and have some fun, I can use all the help I can get
Thanks a lot Tom
Old 06-19-2007, 02:38 AM
linutux
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are several clubs that run at Sebring listed here:
http://www.sebringraceway.com/clubracing.lasso

I can personally recommend Chin MotorSports; lots of track time; great instruction; lot's of different cars to pass ; and all skill levels.

Expect to pay around $300+ per day including instructor fees.

For your first event, all you really need is DOT4 brake fluid, fresh brake pads, and your regular street tires in good shape. All the clubs will have "tech" forms you'll need to get filled out by a mechanic when he inspects your car.

It's a great experience; but, I warn you... it's addictive.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Tomsred84vette
Intermediate

Thanks a lot I will be contacting them, I have allways wanted to try it. I already have dot 4 brake fluid and am running nitto nt555 255/45/17 up front and 285/40/17 in the rear. hope tp see you there
Thanks Tom
Old 06-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Tom... for your first events you don't need much. Just go over the car to make sure it's in sound mechanical condition and not leaking. Most importantly make sure the brake fluid is fresh and the pads have at least 1/2 life in them.

Then just bring a helmet and an open mind... and always remember that you suck at driving... you completely suck... that's what your instructor is for, to teach you how

As you progress you can tweak your car to suite your needs... most end up getting harnesses and a seat and better wheels/tires. Then comes cooling/longevity mods... power comes last (says the guy w/ the cam'd Z06 )

Have a blast... but be prepared... it's addicting.

Last edited by Cobra4B; 06-19-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Tomsred84vette
Intermediate

Hi all and thanks a lot. My tires are only six months old and in great shape, same for the rims(ZR1). I will need a new set of pads, what would you recommend and where can I get them at. Hopefully I will be ready soon
Thanks Tom
Old 06-19-2007, 09:39 PM
speedneed
Racer

Default Sebring

PM'd you.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:58 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Default which brake pads?

Originally Posted by Tomsred84vette
Hi all and thanks a lot. My tires are only six months old and in great shape, same for the rims(ZR1). I will need a new set of pads, what would you recommend and where can I get them at. Hopefully I will be ready soon
Thanks Tom
If you're talking about pads that you can get at a neighborhood auto parts store, then look for the Hawk HPS pads. They're a high-performance street pad - not a hard-core racing pad, but much better than a street-only pad. They're also rotor-friendly. They may be a little hard to find, but you should be able to find them at one or two of the auto parts stores.

If you're talking about mail-ordering some pads, then I would recommend Performance Friction Company's Z-Rated pads. They can take the heat of hard HPDE driving, but are still very good for normal street driving also - a good compromise pad. Autozone sells them, but they don't keep them in stock - you order them and they'll come into the store in a few days.

Or you can mail-order the Z-Rated pads from Motorsports Image:
sales@motorsportimage.com or Phone: (916)784-2323

Lots of other folks will give you their own opinions on brake pads. Their opinions are as good as mine. Just keep in mind what you're looking for - a pad that will see occasional track usage and frequent street usage.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ What rollbar do you have in your vert?
Old 06-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Tom,
I would recommend you inspect the cooling system for any hoses that need to be replaced, for a pile of debris between the A/C condensor and radiator (common on C4s), the serpentine belt, etc. Running on the track is especially stressful on the cooling system and it has to be in very good condition or you could have a bad day.

Bill
Old 06-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Good call on checing the cooling system for FOD and the serp belt.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Listen to your car and you will do fine through out the day!

C4's don't have the best power steering systems in the world. Tend to heat up and boil the fluid without much effort while on the track with lots of turns. If you have not changed out the power steering fluid in years it couldn't hurt, or at least suck out the resevior, fill, drive around a couple days, then do it again to get most of it changed out...

A few tips I put together over the years for a variety of car clubs i have been in: http://www.bauerracing.net/Prepare/DriversEd.htm

Good luck and have fun!
Old 06-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Tomsred84vette
Intermediate

Thanks for all the help everyone. I have a new radiator and water pump with all new hoses including the heater hoses. I also replaced the rack and installed valvoline synthetic power steering fluid. I hope this will help. All this was replaced six months ago when I installed vortech heads and a small street cam, chip, cat back, the regular bolt ons. I am now pulling the cross fire injection off. I am putting a carb and intake on it( hope this will give it a lot more top end). I am going to check into the pads as this will be mostly a street car. Thank you all for your help, this has made things much easier and you have answered many questions
Thanks tom
Old 06-21-2007, 05:44 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
^ What rollbar do you have in your vert?
This question was for me, right?

I had it installed by The Racer's Shop here in Redondo Beach, but I don't know where they got it from. They ordered it from someone, welded it together, got it powder-coated, and then installed it into my car. It bolts to the frame in 4 places (could have been welded down, but wasn't), has a horizontal cross bar for your harnesses, and easily clears the convertible top. It looks to me like one that you can buy from Wolf. That's about all I know about it...

Sorry about temporarily hijacking the thread.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:53 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Tom,
I would recommend you inspect the cooling system for any hoses that need to be replaced, for a pile of debris between the A/C condensor and radiator (common on C4s), the serpentine belt, etc. Running on the track is especially stressful on the cooling system and it has to be in very good condition or you could have a bad day.

Bill
It's my experience that C4's tend to run very hot when driven hard. (I don't think their cooling system is as good as it should be.) I strongly recommend that you check the water temp gauge once every couple laps. If it starts getting too hot, then take it a little easier for one or two laps.

Last edited by bobmoore2; 06-26-2007 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:56 PM
Tomsred84vette
Intermediate

Being my first time out I plan on taking it easy. I don't want to be the one spinning in the dirt, did that at the drag strip with an 80( no fun at all)I am going to watch all my gauges and I just noticed my oil temp gauge reads low. Hope its just a bad sensor, I can't wait
Thanks everyone Tom
Old 06-24-2007, 10:51 AM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

First....sell your house, cash out your credit cards, dump the wife(actually if you wait a bit she will do it for you) and have the time of your life.
Club racing is great, the afore mentioned scenario is probably a few months down the road

Get notified of new replies

To would like to try this

Quick Reply: would like to try this