Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A good weekend at the track

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 08:58 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default A good weekend at the track

Well, I like to tell my brother Corvette owners that they would of been proud of the C6 Z06 this weekend at the PCA event at Barbers. I was asked to help out at their event instructing. I am at the moment carless, but I have a lot of friends who let me drive their cars. A good friend of mine Rob and another good friend of mine Tom, who is also my brother let me beat on their pride and joys. It all stated after lunch. I asked my student, who by the way is one of the main people who works for Zoom that manages all the events be it cars or bikes, if he wanted to take a couple of hot laps in the C6 Z. Didn't have to twist his arm. So we go to the grid and are the first car to go out on track. As we are waiting, a yellow 996 That is tuned APR pulls be side us.The driver pulls down on his helmet and says "Hi, I'm Randy Probst would you mind if we went out ahead of you, we will be out of your way shortly". I gave him a thumbs up and said no problem. Well, three laps later he had to give me a point by. Now that being said, He is one of the nicest guys I have ever met. We talked about an hour. DAY 2 On Sunday I take the Z back out on the track. I am first on grid. I have a gentleman with me. He apparently has dealings with APR. He told me that he had just taken a ride inthe 07 997 twin turbo and said it was real fast. While we are talking, the APR 997 pulls right behind me. The planets must of been all in a line. This time It was Ian Bass, who by the way is also as nice and as easy to talk to as Randy Probst is. Well, pit signals for us to go. I hit the track and the 997 is right on me. I told my rider to hold on. We dice it up for about three laps. I noticed he is getting a little further back as we go. Then, as I come out of the corkscrew I am heading for the esses I look in mirror and the car is sideways. I was gone. the ONLY thing that was not stock on the z were the tires and wheels. 315s on the front and 345s on the back. The car is unreal and is very easy to drive. I think the 996 had around 500awhp and the 997 had around 600. Those AWD P cars are unreal when you are behind them. I watched all four tires leave black marks as it exits the corners. Amazing.

Quick Reply: A good weekend at the track