Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR VIDEO...Seasoned drivers I'm looking for your comments and feedback!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default VIR VIDEO...Seasoned drivers I'm looking for your comments and feedback!

Happy Fathers Day all!

I'm looking forward to driving VIR for the first time in two weeks at the NCM HPDE. I'm still trying to get the Beast ready but time is my enemy. Those of you that have experience at VIR, can you please tell me if this video (click the blue link)

VIR VIDEO represents the speeds of a C5/C6 Z06 or more of a race prepped Corvette.

Those of you that do not frequent the C6 Z06 section, here's my car a week ago.

Full build here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1560646293

Chief Instructor AU N EGL has first dibs!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Mike
Old 06-17-2007, 12:33 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Mike

Use these two Videos:

T1 Lap Record

FLying FreeFall
Old 06-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I just watched the first lap after green and it looked pretty slow (2:20)for a race prepped 'Vette. Chris Ingle in his T1 C5 does ~2:04-05'ish. I'd guess a prepped C6 Z will do 2:00 flat.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:46 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

I agree with Jody.

The most that car got to on the back straight was 138. I did see a 2:16 on a clean lap.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:57 PM
gfacter
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice Build, I heard it's real hard to build a cage for a new Z06 due to the aluminum frame.

The fastest lap on the video was a 2:09, top speed seems down (maybe the sensor is off?) the driver is braking way early for 14,
Old 06-17-2007, 01:13 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMFG - what a beast!!! I'm going to enjoy seeing that on track.

Here's some more vid from a month back - it was pretty warm and due to the tire size, speeds on the overlay video will be ~6% slow. With a set-up c6z, I'd expect good lap times to be in the 1:5x range.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...23328385411169
Old 06-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Falcon
I just watched the first lap after green and it looked pretty slow (2:20)for a race prepped 'Vette. Chris Ingle in his T1 C5 does ~2:04-05'ish. I'd guess a prepped C6 Z will do 2:00 flat.
Thanks Jody.

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I agree with Jody.

The most that car got to on the back straight was 138. I did see a 2:16 on a clean lap.
Tom, he did hit 140, but we both know that isn't an exact measure with those data loggers.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:01 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I'm a newbie, and cannot comment on any of it except that, damn I love video's like that. thanks for posting.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:05 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
I'm a newbie, and cannot comment on any of it except that, damn I love video's like that. thanks for posting.
Did you notice how nice and smooth driving both Chris and John's videos are?

Smooth consistant driving. Hitting the same marks lap after lap after lap. Almost being board out there. Consistance builds confidence. Then increase speed 1/10 here or 1/10 there.

Next thing you know,

Edit: Chirs's video is also the Corvette T1 lap record on VIR. smooth, yet bloody fast.

and videos, dont really give you a feeling of speed.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 06-17-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:11 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Did you notice how nice and smooth driving both Chris and John's videos are?

Smooth consistant driving. Hitting the same marks lap after lap after lap. Almost being board out there. Consistance builds confidence. Then increase speed 1/10 here or 1/10 there.

Next thing you know,
Not the fastest in my run group yet, (ignore the boasting avatar)but I think I am one of the smoothest, and I've been told from drivers behind me, I run a very nice near perfect line
Old 06-17-2007, 03:23 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
Not the fastest in my run group yet,
Don't worry about that....once you become better you will move to a run group where you're the slowest ....there's always somebody faster....those are the guys you ant to chase...they make you better!

Keep up the smoothness!
Old 06-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Tom,

We run races at Autobahn where consistency wins, not the fastest!

We take our handicaps, run our best laps and try to deviate from them. Not as easy as it looks, especially in traffic!
Old 06-17-2007, 07:11 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Mike,
I'm not sure if that's you in the video or not, but I watched the first 8 laps and has been mentioned before, consistency is the key. The driver in this car on laps 4 and 5 did completely different entries to turns 15 and 16. Whether this was on purpose or not, I don't know. I also noticed a lot of "schmoozing" of the corners. That's a highly scientific term (NOT!) that basically means anticipating the turn in...and not using all the entry space available - in essence, early apexing.

I also agree with the top speeds. I am well over 150 down the back straight in my C5 Z06 with less than 380 HP...and stock gearing...in 4th gear. It almost sounded like the driver in this video was lifting 3/4 of the way down the straight.

A few other points:
1. I'd like to see the driver down-shift a bit earlier...and smoother so as not to be shifting while turning - it's distracting and you can't be on the power as early as possible.
2. Braking: Conservative (as mentioned before). Even in my car, with stock calipers, rotors, etc.; with Carbotech Brakes, I can wait til the 2 marker at the end of the back straight...doing over 150 mph. The compression at the bottom of the hill will help you slow more than you think. And you can use the uphill portion at the end to help scrub even more speed. The funny thing about the braking zone down the back straight is that if you brake earlier, you'll be going down hill, so you actually can't brake any better...than waiting a bit longer. It's a confidence thing more than anything else.

Check out my "hot lap" write-up if you want some more pointers...and of course, you know where to get the videos! Take care and enjoy VIR. It's the best track in America!

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/VA/VIR.html#HotLap
Old 06-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Mike,
I'm not sure if that's you in the video or not,
Chris,

It is not me in the video.

Thanks for the feedback.

I was looking for VIR veterans! I feel quite comfortable giving advice on my home track whee I also instruct at Autobahn. VIR being my first time, I'm looking forward to help from the guys like you.

Here is me goofing off with Jim Bacus a few months back before I made other upgrades to my current Z06.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...00469887&hl=en

He had just taken delivery of the car and is much better with it now. You can hear I had to lift on the straights. It was fun playing cat and mouse.

Mike
Old 06-18-2007, 01:54 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/videos/VIR-02GT.WMV

Full World Challenge race in a Corvette from 2002. This car was similar to yours in power and aero, but on street tires (spec tire was a shaved T1S that year). Obviously, dicing in traffic is different than driving the "line", but should be usefull for you.

And don't for get this one, from an earlier post. There is a "bump" in the uphill S's that can bite you if you are still turning when you hit it, and a few other screw-ups to watch out for.

http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/VIRGAGT.WMV

Hope you get the car done in time! I'll be there instructing in a stock Z06, hope to put some sticky tires on for a session or two.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:28 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

btw gfacter, this is a steel-framed Z06 from earlier pictures I've seen. ie it's basically a World Challenge Z06 bodied/motor'ed C6 frame. It is the safest way to build a full track car.

However, autopower makes a bolt-in roll cage for the Z06. The kit comes with plates that bolt to the frame in 6 locations, and you put it all together. It is not an all-out cage like shown above, but it would be legal for NASA and other club events.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

The things I noticed, early turns, low top speed, early braking, and both to much and to little RPM. The LUG warning was a flashin'. I really don't drive any better.

Get notified of new replies

To VIR VIDEO...Seasoned drivers I'm looking for your comments and feedback!

Old 06-18-2007, 05:20 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
btw gfacter, this is a steel-framed Z06 from earlier pictures I've seen. ie it's basically a World Challenge Z06 bodied/motor'ed C6 frame. It is the safest way to build a full track car.

However, autopower makes a bolt-in roll cage for the Z06. The kit comes with plates that bolt to the frame in 6 locations, and you put it all together. It is not an all-out cage like shown above, but it would be legal for NASA and other club events.
You should check out Jeff Emmanuelson's cage. He races a c6z in ST1 mid-a. He got a rally car cage builder to contact an FIA GT team over in england. He's basically got the same cage/interior setup that they do. Its beautiful. Alu frame too.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:53 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Ian (guy who did that cage) was at Synergy - not sure if he's still there or not. Top notch work though.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:46 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Short-Throw

Tom,

We run races at Autobahn where consistency wins, not the fastest!

We take our handicaps, run our best laps and try to deviate from them. Not as easy as it looks, especially in traffic!
Mike, you'll be fine once you get in a couple of laps. VIR is my third favorite long road course. Driven it many times (mostly in the rain). See you there :-) I'll be at Sebring this weekend with NASA before heading up to Charlottesville, Va.

Last edited by rudyarias; 06-18-2007 at 09:48 PM.

Quick Reply: VIR VIDEO...Seasoned drivers I'm looking for your comments and feedback!