Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR full course (high oil temps)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 12:21 PM
gfacter
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default VIR full course (high oil temps)

I ran the full course this week (Thursday & Friday) with the BMW, Audi and Mercedes club event. It was cool low 70's and overcast most of the time. I was seeing high oil temps 280-292 during my runs, I havent run the car in hot weather yet. I am certain I will see hotter temps

Anyone try one of those Ron Davis radiatiors? Is there another option for just a larger oil cooler?

Brakes

7 HDPE sessions and I went through a set up XP12 fronts, the XP10 rears have 5 track days and hardly show any wear. I like the bite the XP12's have, but need to get more out of them. Is there a pad that wears a bit better with a little less bite?

I think I need steel braided lines as the first bit of pedal travel seems a bit soft still and I have trouble with feel and tend to brake much when wanting just a small bit to set the front end. This was hurting me in turn 10.

The good news is I picked up 3 seconds from my last time here and ran a 2:13.8 in my 2nd to last session on a clean lap chasing a really fast RX7. (2:10's)
Old 06-17-2007, 12:28 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gfacter
I ran the full course this week (Thursday & Friday) with the BMW, Audi and Mercedes club event. It was cool low 70's and overcast most of the time. I was seeing high oil temps 280-292 during my runs, I havent run the car in hot weather yet. I am certain I will see hotter temps

Anyone try one of those Ron Davis radiatiors? Is there another option for just a larger oil cooler?
Seperate oil cooler. Keep the hot oil away from the radiator.

Brakes

7 HDPE sessions and I went through a set up XP12 fronts, the XP10 rears have 5 track days and hardly show any wear. I like the bite the XP12's have, but need to get more out of them. Is there a pad that wears a bit better with a little less bite?
That is common for XP12s. The fronts last one weekend.
Options, Brake sooner. Change to Wilwood H or PFC-01s, Hawk DTC70s-60s However, these pads have much more inital bite and eat rotors.

I think I need steel braided lines as the first bit of pedal travel seems a bit soft still and I have trouble with feel and tend to brake much when wanting just a small bit to set the front end. This was hurting me in turn 10.
SS lines are always a good idea.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:33 PM
gfacter
Pro

I need to go look at the car and figure out how to do that, is there a cooler/kit available or do I need to fab something up?
Old 06-17-2007, 01:07 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the doug rippie unit - comes with everything you need. Give Randy a call, and he'll set you up. Even with the cooler, I get it into the 270's on a hot day. Without it, I'd be up in the 3xx's. I think they're good for around a 30-40 degree temp drop.

Same issue with the XP12's - two days and they're toast up front...switching to something else also.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:12 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the best value I've seen for OC only. The combo units are nice but overkill if you don't need more coolant capacity IMO.
http://www.tpis.com/index.php?module...Kits+%28LS1%29
Old 06-17-2007, 01:33 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I need to go look at the car and figure out how to do that, is there a cooler/kit available or do I need to fab something up?
Here is mine.

Trans cooler left oil cooler right

Old 06-17-2007, 01:43 PM
gfacter
Pro

Thanks for the info

I will look into one of these OC kits, per the brakes, maybe give the wilwood H pads a try once I finish my last Xp12 fronts up

I am going to switch to the C5 blanks since I have a bunch of cracks on the C6 drilled rotors now.

Watching f1 in HD on Fox

Go Hamilton.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:47 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran the full course this week (Thursday & Friday) with the BMW, Audi and Mercedes club event.
Are running again with the NCM in early July? It'd be good to get a Maryland contingent together to drive down.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:54 PM
gfacter
Pro

Sorry, won't be able to make that one. You will have a great time though I am sure.

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Are running again with the NCM in early July? It'd be good to get a Maryland contingent together to drive down.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:04 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, get the seperate oil cooler. much less of a hassle.

as for pads, i ran hps+'s this weekend and had NO problem with them. vir isnt too bad on brakes, so they worked just fine. they were leftover from when i had a street vette...

tom, you still need instructors for the ncm event?
Old 06-17-2007, 02:16 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Ron Davis unit in my car installed and purchased from 21st Century Muscle Cars works flawlessly. My oil temps are never over 265 in 95 degree ambient Texas heat. The advantage of a entire radiator with internal OC is that in cold temps the oil stays warm without an oil thermostat (dont fell like having to block off my oil cooler in the winter) as well as lower coolant temps which we know is also good for performance.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:19 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I doubt you can beat the quality and price of the Carbotechs to be honest. Corvettes eat brakes and rotors and I haven't found anything out there that stops as well, lasts as long and is anywhere near the price of the XP12s. Pad life for the rear XP10s is about twice that of the front. PFC 01 definitely will not last longer and don't have the XP12s bite. The Hawk will bite as well and wear as well, but destroy rotors at twice the rate. They also transfer an insane amount of heat into the calipers and fluid, so you'll go thru those faster too. The Wilwoods fade away after 7-10 laps...every time. Try them all for yourself though, but you'll probably be back to the Carbos.

Take care and good luck!

cwi

ps. We are going to CMP on Monday to test some new compounds...I'll let you guys know the outcome.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:25 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, some people were telling me that the XP16's would last longer than the 12's. Whats your input? I havent heard anything about the 16's on vettes.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:07 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

I talked to the folks at Carbotech - was told more bite but less life...
Old 06-17-2007, 08:09 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I've tried just about all their compounds, although probably called something different at the time, and really haven't found anything better than their XP12s. It's a great all around pad for performance, wear, fade resistance and price. I'm still racing on them and when I find something better, I'll let you know. We'll see how Monday's test goes.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:50 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I had c5 Z06 I had Doug Rippie unit and it worked fantastically. When I sold the car I took it off and sold it separately. Track temps even on hot days rarely exceeded 270 degree range. Before it would routinely run into 300s and have to back off to cool down.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:52 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

DRM's Kit uses the Ron Davis Radiators!!!!

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To VIR full course (high oil temps)

Old 06-17-2007, 09:18 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
Chris, some people were telling me that the XP16's would last longer than the 12's. Whats your input? I havent heard anything about the 16's on vettes.
I've used the XP16's and found them better than the XP12's. Just ordered another set for VIR in July.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jrz1
When I had c5 Z06 I had Doug Rippie unit and it worked fantastically. When I sold the car I took it off and sold it separately. Track temps even on hot days rarely exceeded 270 degree range. Before it would routinely run into 300s and have to back off to cool down.

I had the same setup on my Z and the results were identical to JRZ's.

Best thing I ever did for the car to make it trackable.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:46 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Hopefully I'll get my DRM integrated unit in time to install it before the NCM VIR event ...

Quick Reply: VIR full course (high oil temps)