Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch/Puke Can Setups - What have you done to keep oil out of the top end?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:39 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Catch/Puke Can Setups - What have you done to keep oil out of the top end?

Well, long story short I consumed 3.5qts of oil at Grattan last weekend over the course of 7 sessions in my AFR H/C car with AMW catch can. I found the smoke to be most notable on my heel/toe blip after braking on the main straight. Presumably the high vacuum condition with TB closed pulled the oil up out of the valve cover?? I have an 02 LS1 PCV and the AMW can only caught about 1-2oz/session. The car doesn't smoke notably under street conditions. Possibly unrelated but my car idles poorly as of late even with a small 224 114lsa cam.

Who else here has had issue with sucking up lots of oil at track days and what have you done to remedy the issue?

Pics would be nice.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:40 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I'm thinking about this setup for a 2nd catch can:

Old 06-14-2007, 01:59 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If/when the problem develops for me, I thought that this unit would
be worth learning more about.

Elite Engineering Catch Can - A Macro View [Pictures]

If it works as well as it looks ...

Old 06-14-2007, 03:09 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I'm not so sure it's the quality of the catch can as it is how you have things hooked up in my case. I have an equally nice AMW can that does it's job (i think) yet oil is still getting by...likely via the hose from the valve cover to the TB, which is why I'm considering a dual catch can setup.

I'll have to admit I do prefer that the Elite can screws off on the bottom.

Last edited by BQuicksilver; 06-14-2007 at 03:17 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:16 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

Put in Smith Brother pushrods with oil restrictors. If you can prevent flooding the top of the heads, you won't have oil to overflow. Keep the oil low in the engine where it belongs.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Check with RAFTRACER he runs two cans ->http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ight=catch+can
Old 06-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I'm running an Elite Engineering catch can on my PCV line... nothing on the valve cover line... that's a fresh air line.

You could cap that line and run a breather oil cap.

EDIT: You may want to talk to Jemoia Oil consumption after AFR Heads/Cam Install
Old 06-14-2007, 09:48 AM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I'm running an Elite Engineering catch can on my PCV line... nothing on the valve cover line... that's a fresh air line.

You could cap that line and run a breather oil cap.
I tried using a breather cap in place of the fresh air line and the cap puked oil making a real mess. I don't reccommend it.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Really?
Old 06-14-2007, 10:45 AM
JimBacus
Got LAPS?
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Very interesting thread, my Z06 is having the exact same problems after returning from LGM's shop. The catch can seems just like a patch (which was added after my car returned from Texas), I can fill it up and overflow it in about 20 minutes on the track. Also, the car sometimes will idle, and then at times it doesn't like to idle at all.

AFR205 heads and a G5X3 cam, also an oil cooler and an accusump on this car... there is a lot of oil contained in this system now.

I'd love to get a solution to this problem, David Farmers suggestion of pushrods with oil restrictors seems like a good idea.

P.S. I should also mention I had no problems with oil consumption prior to the addition to the heads and cam.

Last edited by JimBacus; 06-14-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Your idle issues are in herent to the large cam... thy're hard to tune perfectly.

The one thing consistent in this post is the AFR heads... I'm wondering if there's a valve seal issue?

I have a G5-X2 cam kit but w/ stock heads. I have no excessive oil consumption and put a minimal amount in my catch can every few thousand miles. I have a Dewitts racing radiator w/ oil cooler and a LS4 high volume pump.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:21 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I had several track days on my AFR's before this past weekend with no significant increase in oil consumption/smoking. That being said, I've kinda noticed AFR coming up a LOT in these threads.

It doesn't smoke at startup or particularly bad at WOT. It seems that high vacuum (like while braking with the TB closed at 6500rpm) is what gets the oil up there, and then that oil all gets burnt when I blip for the heel-toe and I make a huge cloud.

David, can you explain the pros of those pushrods? It seems that these may be the only true "fix" to the issue rather than just trying to catch the oil before it gets burnt. Danny recommended the comp "high tech" pushrods. I'm not sure which would be best to purchase?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Wierd... I wonder if there's something about the AFR head that makes oil hang up more than other designs?
Old 06-14-2007, 02:18 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

People always ask why DRM doesn't use aftermarket heads

Randy
Old 06-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
People always ask why DRM doesn't use aftermarket heads

Randy
Because you don't know what you're doing and are scared of change?
Old 06-15-2007, 01:41 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BQuicksilver
I had several track days on my AFR's before this past weekend with no significant increase in oil consumption/smoking. That being said, I've kinda noticed AFR coming up a LOT in these threads.

It doesn't smoke at startup or particularly bad at WOT. It seems that high vacuum (like while braking with the TB closed at 6500rpm) is what gets the oil up there, and then that oil all gets burnt when I blip for the heel-toe and I make a huge cloud.

David, can you explain the pros of those pushrods? It seems that these may be the only true "fix" to the issue rather than just trying to catch the oil before it gets burnt. Danny recommended the comp "high tech" pushrods. I'm not sure which would be best to purchase?

I just reread the first part of this. This is a new problem on a old setup that changes everything. Sence you haven't had major problems until now I wouldn't band aid it with a different can. You are having a new problem and it should be fixed. Two cans will help the puff but that is it. Leakdown test are a very good thing and should be done often. This would be the first thing that would indicate a problem in the ring area, also check your plugs for a bad hole or two. Start on hole 7 or 8, I hate to say this but it could save a lot of time

If everything above checks out ok. Then pull valve covers and get dirty. First take a flashlight and look at every seal. If all checks out ok pull valve springs and check valve to stem clearance.

If that is ok all so then put a can on and run it. But plan for a winter rebuild.

Randy
Old 06-15-2007, 01:42 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Have you used the breather setup before with good results??? Or is this the first time using it.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Catch/Puke Can Setups - What have you done to keep oil out of the top end?

Old 06-15-2007, 01:47 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

What if I'm going to Putnam monday? Bring the 5qt jug of Mobil1?

I'll try to sneak a leakdown in over the weekend.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:51 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Have you used the breather setup before with good results??? Or is this the first time using it.

Randy
You talking to me Randy? I have had the H/C and AMW can for several track days without issue. I don't have a breather. The car started idling crummy and tune went bad (for no reason) last Aug, was 14.5AFR on the dyno last month --- corrected and made 431whp with 13.0AFR, but now running rich 12.0's at WOT.

The car still feels strong, but isn't acting too good. The smoke was new, but I'd never driven Gattan before.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:36 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BQuicksilver
You talking to me Randy? I have had the H/C and AMW can for several track days without issue. I don't have a breather. The car started idling crummy and tune went bad (for no reason) last Aug, was 14.5AFR on the dyno last month --- corrected and made 431whp with 13.0AFR, but now running rich 12.0's at WOT.

The car still feels strong, but isn't acting too good. The smoke was new, but I'd never driven Gattan before.
I was talking to you. The computer have a learn fuction in them which can cause weird changes in the AF ratio. The tunner must use a tech 2 or simular to see what the long and short terms are. This will help the learning of bad issues. I suspect that something broke or is just worn out in your motor and that is the reason for the change in oil useage. 3.5 quarts isn't horrible in the amount of time at the track but it's not good either.

Randy

Quick Reply: Catch/Puke Can Setups - What have you done to keep oil out of the top end?