Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CLB and SCCA Classes

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 09:58 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default CLB and SCCA Classes

does anyone know if this has an effect on what class you run, specifically scca solo2/prosolo? i realize its one of those things that will likely go unnoticed by 99.9% of people but with my plan to start attending national tour events and to possibly go to nationals, protests are always possible. does this count as modifying the steering column or column mounted accessories? im guessing i could make my case to the scca and get it cleared as a safety precaution but if someone has already done this, id like to know. i know the recall work would be ok but it appears that this doesnt really do anything in terms of preventing the column from locking while driving and while the clb isnt bullet proof, it does help more than the recall work. thanks a bunch.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Does SCCA even allow steering wheel locks to be active?

NASA requests the steering wheel locks to be deactivated.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:33 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could argue C&C...comfort and convenience. No performance enhancement. But since even fuses can't be pulled and non-stock shift ***** are not allowed in Stock, your best bet is to write a letter asking for clarification to the SEB and see what they say. Letters don't cost anything.

Good luck.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:53 AM
ltborg
Drifting

do the cl parts weigh less than 1 lb? if so i might be able to get away with removing it. in the mean time ill be drafting up a letter unless anyone who knows chimes in and ill post the results here.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are running the LG Coilovers on your car that are listed in your public forum, you won't have to worry about the Stock Class rules.

Ted, whouldn't they take him to Street Mod 2?

Yes Falcon, in autocrossing, SCCA does not require the steering locks to be disabled. That mod is reserved for the race track.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:10 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Locke
If you are running the LG Coilovers on your car that are listed in your public forum, you won't have to worry about the Stock Class rules.

Ted, whouldn't they take him to Street Mod 2?

Yes Falcon, in autocrossing, SCCA does not require the steering locks to be disabled. That mod is reserved for the race track.
yeah i am in sm2. but the sm2 rules state that: "modifying the steering column or column mounted accessories" is illegal. they do not say anything one way or the other about the lock mechanism which technically means cant be touched. however since the automatics had it removed, im not sure if you can get away with saying that it was an "option" from the factory. thats why im asking. sorry if i put you under the impression i was referring to stock rules.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Locke
Racer

No problem on which class you meant, Ted's answers were geared toward Stock class, so I continued in that direction.

As far as SM, yours is a much 'muddier' question. I'd have to agree that a letter to the Solo Board would be the way to go.

The evil side of me sez to disable the lock inside the colum and not get noticed. Who'd going to check that during tech!

Do you work with the Stevenson Vettes? Will the Riggins chassis be ready for Daytona?
Old 06-14-2007, 02:30 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it doesn't say you can, then you can't. Write a letter for clarification.

Jerry Onks was protested and penelized for not having a cover on his dash for the radio he removed last year in SM2. He fixed it with duct tape.

The removal for the auto would be allowed since there is a TSB authorizing it's removal. FWIW.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Locke
Racer

I have to agree with Ted.

It really isn't allowed on a Manual Tranny car. The Automatic gets it because of a Service Bulletin.

It is worth a letter asking permission and stating the dual use of the vehicle in HPDEs or Time Trials.

Locke

Last edited by Locke; 06-14-2007 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:03 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Locke
No problem on which class you meant, Ted's answers were geared toward Stock class, so I continued in that direction.

As far as SM, yours is a much 'muddier' question. I'd have to agree that a letter to the Solo Board would be the way to go.

The evil side of me sez to disable the lock inside the colum and not get noticed. Who'd going to check that during tech!

Do you work with the Stevenson Vettes? Will the Riggins chassis be ready for Daytona?
yeah ill be getting a letter together in the next week or so and will let you all know what happens with that.

no i dont work for stevenson vettes, would like to though. thats just a good pic from the rolex 24 i took when i was in daytona last january.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:09 PM
Locke
Racer

Great shot!
Much better than mine.
I'm friends with a couple of people that crew with them. Not the full time people but the part time ones. The straight axle car cannot be ready for Mid Ohio but if they will get to Jacksonville, Tommy has a new front clip ready to be grafted onto the chassis.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:37 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may have missed it but the CLB you can do just involves unplugging a wire and adding in a relay to fool the system. So technically you are adding weight (1-2oz). However if you had the hardware removed, thats definite weight reduction. But in the end I will side with Ted and go with the if it doesn't say you can, you can't and email the SEB.

Get notified of new replies

To CLB and SCCA Classes

Quick Reply: CLB and SCCA Classes