Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Consumption after AFR Heads/Cam Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 01:25 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil Consumption after AFR Heads/Cam Install

I've posted this question in the C5 tech section but I thought I'd post it here too

Back in Jan. I had AFR 205 heads & mild cam (220/224, .581, 114LSA) installed . Intake/exhaust remain stock and the engine tuned to pass Cal. emissions. With the stock LS1 motor I used to average 1-2 qts. oil consumption between oil changes (6000-7000 mi.), which included 8-10 track days. Since the H/C installation I have put 4000 mi. & 8 trackdays on the car and have consumed 8 qts. of oil. This seems to be excessive to me. At a trackday back in Feb./Mar., I noticed that a couple of times when I started the car for the next session there was a big cloud of smoke out of the exhaust but that seemed to be an isolated occurance; it doesn't seem to be happening on a recurring basis. There isn't any apparent external oil leaks.

I have talked to the shop that did the installation and was told that there is not much that can be done in terms of engine tests to determine if the oil consumption is associated with the new heads, short of pulling the heads and having them sent out to be tested.

Is my current oil consumption excessive or should I just consider it normal for a H/C engine that sees a lot of trackdays?

If considered excessive, are there any engine tests/diagnostics that could be done that could point to the heads as being the source of the problem?

TIA

Joe M

Last edited by joemoia; 06-13-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:28 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Joe, see my recent post in C5 Tech regarding my increased oil consumption. I went through 3.5qts in 7 sessions last weekend. I believe after talking to a few people the issue is PCV related. It's too much oil for sure.

I'm getting ready to write up a catch can post here for the guys that corner and see what solutions everyone has come up with.

Danny P also made mention that comp "high tech" pushrods may do some good to cut down on the smoking, but I'm not fully educated on these pushrods yet.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption after AFR Heads/Cam Install