Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen World Challenge LG Motorsports Race Report

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 11:38 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Watkins Glen World Challenge LG Motorsports Race Report

Hi Guys,

Well, we put together another podium after a dismal qualifying of 6th place. (they threw out my best two times for driving outside the rumble strips on the exit of turn 1). Luckily I was able to back it up with another good time to at least qualify 6th.

I got a good start, after watching Pilgrim jump the start again. It is not hard to jump like he did so I won't criticize him for it. It can happen.

My start went well, and I pulled along side of Pilgrim on his left and we went up the hill into turn 2 side by side. I knew he had to stop so I thought he would give in but he pushed me off line and I had to get behind him and let him go.

When he pulled off for his penalty, I assumed 4th place and when the Curran Corvette was in the lead, I was catching the top 3 very easily. I had to fight off Archer's Viper in a good duel racing side by side into the "Bus stop" a couple of times. I had to take the "Defensive" line and I controled the corner. He stayed close for a while and after the full course yellow, but I finally held the position.

After Archer left me alone, I was catching the lead trio fairly easily. The Porsche with their new found advantage, was all over the curran car staying close and probably playing it as though it was hard when in fact he could have taken the lead any time. (good for politics and playing as though it was hard) the Porsche team does a good job of setting fast lap and running up front and claiming they still need help in the rules. Go figure.

At any rate, at the half way point the Porsche took the lead and shortly after the curran Vette came into the pits for a burned plug wire. He lost a few laps and his race was essentially over.

I tried my best to catch up to the Porsche and caddy but after the Porsche took the lead, he set the fastest lap and then "slowed down". He just maintained a clear margin without going any faster than he already showed.(fast lap is bad for Politics )

Then remember the Caddy of Pilgrim that had a stop and go and started from last after the Yellow? Well, he charged through the field and caught me with 5 laps to go.

If they covered this, it was probably the best racing of the day. I had to fight him off, lap after lap in the last 5 laps. Of course after I slammed the door on him a couple of times, I am sure that he figured that he would settle for 4th place and the championship point lead.

Still I had to hit every mark and run near perfect "qualifying laps" to stay ahead. I had saved my tires for the end, and with light fuel and good tires I was able to hold him off and set my fast lap of a 1:55.7 http://www.world-challenge.com/event...lts.php?ID=450

This 3 place along with my 3rd at Long Beach and the second place in Utah put me back up to 6th in the points. Unfortunately the DNF's at Sebring and Charlotte hurt the point total.

Just 5 races left starting at Toronto Cart Indy car event then on to Mid ohio, Mosport, Atlanta and Laguna. 3 of the 5 are great tracks for me so we are hopeful for 5 good finishes. SCCA Pro tech staff is constantly working on getting the cars equal.

I will have to carry an extra 70 pounds at Toronto for my podium finishes which won't help. So be it.

My team mate, Doug Peterson had a great start but got tangled up with a Porsche and he got a flat right front tire, and had to make a pit stop for it. He came back to 12th place after 2 pit stops. Good run for sure.

The 3 podium finishes puts us on top of the Corvette list, but racing is racing and you never know what can happen next.

See you at the races, and for those of you near Texas, you can sign up for my LG Driving Clinic at www.thepreformancedrivingschool.com

Thanks guys.

Lou Gigliotti LGM

SPEED TV Broadcast time
Saturday, June 30
TC Race 2 - 3:00 p.m.
GT - 4:00 p.m.
Eastern Time

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"
Old 06-13-2007, 01:06 PM
KB Aero Biscuit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although you guys didnt win, it sounds like a pretty good weekend all things considered. It seems like there are more competitive cars capable of winning now more than ever? Good job and thanks for putting a Corvette on the podium!
Old 06-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Lou,
Will you be posting any video from the Glen?

Bill
Old 06-13-2007, 02:03 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Lou,
Will you be posting any video from the Glen?

Bill
Yes, and No.

We have had a lot of requests for DVD's so we are going to put up a small "snipet" of the race in car video, then sell the DVD for each race to offset the cost of the equipment and to let the Corvette owners help with our effort in the series.

I know that it has been a bonus having the in car video at no charge but we have to move on to the "Nascar" system and sell what we can to help offset the high costs of doing this.

Kind of like selling Tee shirts.

Hope this works for everyone.

Thanks

Lou Gigliotti LGM

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 06-13-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:21 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

So how did you like racing at the Glen?

Which course did you run?
Old 06-13-2007, 04:29 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
So how did you like racing at the Glen?

Which course did you run?

There have been 5 World Challenge races run at the Glen including this past weekend. I did not participate in one of the 5 races but in the other 4 races, I have 3 wins and one 3rd place.

So needless to say, I like the track.

I was brought up at the other end of the lake in Geneva, Ny.

We ran the long course. (if we ran 1:54.xx lap times on the short course, we would be in our Golf carts

It is a great track, and we missed the forcast rain the whole weekend.

thanks
Lou G
Old 06-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

A 1:55 on the long course is pretty awesome. I run 2:15s when I have good tires and the T1 people are in the 2:03 range.

Bill
Old 06-14-2007, 11:41 PM
J Ritt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good work Lou...congrats! I love the Glen...by far my favorite track to drive.

I talked to Louis and Anthony the other day on the road. I have some good stuff in the works for you guys, including some new products for you to sell. I'll give your guys the details either tomorrow or early next week.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:11 AM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Awesome Lou, thanks for the writeup!
Old 06-18-2007, 10:16 AM
z060ntrack
Drifting

Originally Posted by JRitt@StopTech
Good work Lou...congrats! I love the Glen...by far my favorite track to drive.

I talked to Louis and Anthony the other day on the road. I have some good stuff in the works for you guys, including some new products for you to sell. I'll give your guys the details either tomorrow or early next week.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Bville-Bud
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Great job & thanks for the info. Put me in line for the DVD(s)!
Old 06-19-2007, 06:20 PM
mash
Racer

Hey Lou. I know it was hot up there. Did you run your Cool Shirt, and how did it work?

Mash
Old 06-19-2007, 07:22 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mash
Hey Lou. I know it was hot up there. Did you run your Cool Shirt, and how did it work?

Mash
cool suits work great I wore them in offshore boat racing below a closed canopy with little air circulation in 100* temps in Key West. God knows what the temp was inside the cockpit when we would circle / mill waiting for the race to start. Even if you just wear the head cap you will not get brain fade.

Last edited by John Shiels; 06-19-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:32 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by z060ntrack
Jeff released the news today,
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1560824595
Old 06-25-2007, 07:43 PM
LG Motorsports

Mash
Yes I did.

It is not that I can not take the heat but having raced both ways, the cool shirt keeps me thinking better and clearer at the end of the race. In the past I would never use a cool suit and near the last few laps, I would make more mistakes.

Our races are about 1hr from when we get in to the car to the end of the race, and it is still working great at the end.

I would not run without one anymore.

Thanks
Lou G
Old 06-25-2007, 08:48 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool suits are great!!! I even get hot in my iceracer in -20 degrees. Kart racing in a 100+ degrees pretty much sucked.

Randy
Old 06-25-2007, 09:27 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Also remember guys we have portable ones just like the Lou uses in the race car. The kit comes with a small watertight bag, hose, and a HANS friendly cool shirt. Simply plug it into your lighter and you have an instant cool system for your car, and you can take it out before going to work on Monday with no modifications to the car.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:46 PM
mash
Racer

Thanks Lou/Anthony. Isn`t that the system that plugs into a cigarette lighter, and straps to the passenger seat? Very Cool...no fab work or wiring necessary. Awesome for PDX/Track Day/Autox racers. Pack it with ice and water, and go!

mash
Old 06-27-2007, 08:53 PM
LG Motorsports

Thanks Lou/Anthony. Isn`t that the system that plugs into a cigarette lighter, and straps to the passenger seat? Very Cool...no fab work or wiring necessary. Awesome for PDX/Track Day/Autox racers. Pack it with ice and water, and go!

mash
BINGO

LG

Get notified of new replies

To Watkins Glen World Challenge LG Motorsports Race Report

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen World Challenge LG Motorsports Race Report