Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to balance car when using C5Z06 rear wheels all around?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to balance car when using C5Z06 rear wheels all around?

I know some of you hardcore guys like to run the same size rear tires all the way around the car. I like this idea for a lot of reasons, but getting rid of the stagger is going to screw up the balance of the car, right? If your contact patch in the front gets larger to match the rear, that should produce wicked oversteer. How do you guys compensate for that? Less negative camber in the front? stiffer springs up front? Bigger sway up front?

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2007, 12:25 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

i along with MANY other guys run 315's all around. The stock setup has a lot of push built in, so running equal sized tires doesnt produce crazy oversteer. If anything it makes the car more neutral.

It'll just take a track day or two to get used to it.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

Originally Posted by wallyman424
i along with MANY other guys run 315's all around. The stock setup has a lot of push built in, so running equal sized tires doesnt produce crazy oversteer. If anything it makes the car more neutral.

It'll just take a track day or two to get used to it.
That is a good point. I had forgotten that I have an extra half a degree of negative camber up front. Rebalancing the camber and with the bigger tires up front might work out well.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2007, 01:02 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Burgoon
I know some of you hardcore guys like to run the same size rear tires all the way around the car. I like this idea for a lot of reasons, but getting rid of the stagger is going to screw up the balance of the car, right? If your contact patch in the front gets larger to match the rear, that should produce wicked oversteer. How do you guys compensate for that? Less negative camber in the front? stiffer springs up front? Bigger sway up front?

Thanks!
In SCCA T1 we are required to run 17x10 front wheels and 17x11. I've run 315s all around on these wheels as well as 275 front, 315 rear. With the relatively narrow front wheel, the 315s buldge somewhat and you don't get the full 315 contact patch. In fact, I personally don't think the 315s really change the balance of the car all that much. Where I feel they help is under braking where the tire will squat somewhat and get a bigger bite.

I do run a little bit less camber up front with the 315s, but it isn't that significant. I'd check tire temps with a temp probe and base your camber settings on tire temps.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 06-11-2007, 07:44 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Get a set of poly bushings for the front bar and put them in your kit.

If you need a bit more understeer, it only takes 10 minutes to pop them in...

That might be just enough fine tuning to get it back.

I am not one to take out negative camber up front since it can end up chewing up the outside edges of the tires and the Hoosiers don't like that.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:08 AM
MattW_VA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I run a square setup on my C6 and the car is extremely well balanced, can steer with either end!
Old 06-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

A few months back I picked up some 17x11 oem Grandsport wheels w/ 315 V710s all round. I'll be running VIR with them for the first time next weekend.

Before this I was running Hooser RS304s on my oem Z06 wheels. Should be fun.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:56 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

You would think there would be too much front grip, but it just doesn't work out that way. Even if it does, you can easily compensate with tire pressures and alignment.

I'm running 315/18's all around on C5Z06 Speedlines, and I can really optimize my tire wear by rotating tires all around the car as needed
Old 06-11-2007, 12:37 PM
plaster
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
You would think there would be too much front grip, but it just doesn't work out that way. Even if it does, you can easily compensate with tire pressures and alignment.

I'm running 315/18's all around on C5Z06 Speedlines, and I can really optimize my tire wear by rotating tires all around the car as needed
Is this on a a C5 or C6? No rubbing issues on the front 18's?
Old 06-11-2007, 01:48 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

I'm running that setup now on my 02 Z06. It feels neutral. More stable under braking. I love being able to rotate the wheels side/side or front/rear to balance the wear.

Plaster: The only rubbing I get is at close to full lock the tire hits my DRM brake ducts a bit. I just tape up the plastic duct and let the tire hit that. Then replace the tape when it gets chewed up.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Silverton
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What offset do the Speedline 18x10.5 wheels have: 62mm or 57mm? Bob's House of Wheels stated that their Speedline's have the 57mm offset.

Get notified of new replies

To How to balance car when using C5Z06 rear wheels all around?

Quick Reply: How to balance car when using C5Z06 rear wheels all around?