Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Data Logger Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 08:53 PM
SpudGT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Data Logger Suggestions

Hello,

I was hoping that some of you here could comment on your experiences with data logging systems. I am looking for something to use primarily in an autocross environment (a two driver car) and the occasional track day. I think it would be useful to be able to compare the two drivers, one being more experienced. This will complement my in-car Sony camcorder (which needs to be replaced sometime soon, maybe something like ChaseCam): so any integration between the data and video systems would be a plus.

Looked at the following:
- Traqmate
- G2X
- Race Technology DL1

I end up with lots of questions, including things like:
- is recording to a flash card useful (vs internal storage)
- how do the systems handle run data (esp with 2 drivers)
- how do the systems handle autox (start/finish, etc)
- how much data can be logged before downloading
- software ease of use
- expandability (future sensors, OBDII integration)

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:43 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Scroll down and see if what you want is covered in the thread titled “In-car Video + Data Aquisition systems - recommend!!”
Subw00er started it on 06-03-07.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:55 PM
SpudGT
Advanced

I took a read of that thread before posting this one, and I think we are both ultimately trying to get to the same spot. While video integration will become important to me, I want to start with just good data logging in a 2 driver autocross environment.

For example. From reading the G2X manual it seems the logging will automatically start after going xxx miles per hour, and will stop again after sitting still for 30 seconds. It will then create numbered data files on the compact flash until it fills up. The Traqmate seems to require a button press to stop and start logging, and then will only hold 21 such 'sessions'. Again, this comes from reading the manuals and I could have it wrong.

Perhaps I should have just posted my questions in that other thread instead of starting a new one.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:22 AM
jlucas
Racer

Originally Posted by SpudGT
I end up with lots of questions, including things like:
- is recording to a flash card useful (vs internal storage)
Personally I find flash a lot easier and flexible. You can scale your card size to your data needs. I've used all the units you've listed (and a few more besides) but I can't remember by heart all the data file size/hour. The DL1 is <30MB/hour and the G2X is smaller than that IIRC.

- how do the systems handle run data (esp with 2 drivers)
They don't have anything particular to driver count as they all tend to sequentially number the runs. One advantage here of the flash card based system is each driver could have his own card.
- how do the systems handle autox (start/finish, etc)
Unfortunately none of them are as good at autocross as they are at closed road courses, so expect a little more software fiddling when using them for autocross. The DL1 can be triggered by button or by start speed and AFAIK it's the only one running at 10Hz (so more data points which can be important on smaller courses). I recently heard that the EVO autocross school uses the DL1 and it's cousin the AX22.
- how much data can be logged before downloading
Traqmate says on their site. G2X & DL1 are just limited by your card size. I don't know if the G2X has a card size limit, on the DL1 it's 2GB (which I think is actually the FAT limit for CF). When I did the 25 Hours of Thunderhill. I popped a 1gb card in the DL1 and just recorded the whole thing.
- software ease of use
This is a little subjective. Software that gives you less options will be easier to use because there are less things to manipulate. Based on my testing the DL1 software struck the right balance and fit my needs in other categories so that is what I originally went with before I got into the business of D/A. My opionon on Traqmate is that their focus is on easy to use. G2X is quite robust and stable but probably the most difficult of the 3.
- expandability (future sensors, OBDII integration)
Here is where they start to very quite a bit.
TraqMate is more limited but you can get some analogs & a rpm input with their optional module, DL1 comes with 8 analogs + rpm, G2X can go up to 12 if I recall correctly but you'll pay at least $99 for every input you want to add on due to their proprietary network system for their inputs. MaxQ is the only one with a working OBD2 interface; it's nice but most things don't update that fast, so I found it mostly good for tempertures (oil, coolant, intake) -- but their software is not on par with the others you mentioned.

If you search for my user ID you'll see I've made other posts with examples and other comparisons. Best thing to do is look at what you think you want to hook up from an input standpoint, answer if you need a display and what you want it to do, then finally get sample files of all the units you are considering and try using the software for yourself. If your going to be at the NCM VIR event, look me up and I can show you a few things. If you need some DL1 data, email me and I can send you some. Everyone seems to like what they have so it's hard to say there is a bad unit out there but few people have tried multiple brands. There are some significant difference between them that you will only see if you try more than one.

Last edited by jlucas; 06-11-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:31 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I think the GX2 has one of the best displays, if you want to actually use it during driving. A friend needs to replace a speedo in his racecar, and is likely going to go with the GX2 has a dash replacement in addition to data aquisition. If you just want data, I think they all can do the job. The Traqmate has the neat little ability to race virtually, if that interests you.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

From reading the G2X manual it seems the logging will automatically
start after going xxx miles per hour, and will stop again after sitting
still ...
This is correct.

The default speed for recording to begin is 25 MPH. This is user-adjustable,
mine is currently set for 5 MPH.

Recording stops after the car is at rest for a period of time. Mine stops
after 10 sec, I do not remember whether I changed this parameter.
If the G2X is powered off while recording, the last 5 secs of data
is discarded.

I paid for a licensed version of TrackVision - unlike the practice of other
publishers who remove nag screens and obvious logos from licensed
software, the licensed version of TV continues to display a prominient
logo on video created with it. They are unrepentant about this. My vote
is that if you can find a suitable alternative to TV - use it.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:12 AM
SpudGT
Advanced

Thanks for all the comments.

I called the folks at Traqmate today and asked them about autocross specific features. Apparently they have a 2.0 release targeted for sometime in July that adds some specific autocross functionality, like the ability to automatically start logging on launch. It will be interesting to see what the final 2.0 feature set brings.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:53 AM
Cbntmn
Racer

Just my 2 cents.....

I use traqmate and really like the ease of use of both the unit itself and the program.

I have used it stand alone and now im adding sensors and video.

The other thing about it is that it seems very widely used, they have a pretty good website and forum, and getting questions answered is pretty easy. Im no tech guru but it has been pretty easy to use. I also only have one driver, but I do put mulitple sessions on the program at one time to see how one session compares to the other. Same as mulitple drivers would be.

Hook up is easy and if you are using a street car removal is just as easy. I use velcro to stick the unit down to the carpet in the trunk area, and tape the gps sensor to the roof. Rarely do I use it while im driving, except to peak at the last lap time and maybe a couple of times to see a split time. I doubt you will even look at it in an autocross while driving.

Get notified of new replies

To Data Logger Suggestions

Quick Reply: Data Logger Suggestions