Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your experience with Motul braking fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 12:19 AM
Kinkajou
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default What is your experience with Motul braking fluid?

I would like to hear your experience from using Motul braking fluid, RBF 600 is supposed to be used in a racing environment where high boiling point is important.

So would you recomend it for a C4, or would it damage the system.
I understand that it is a Dot 5, non silicon fluid, but not sure.

It sounds like it would be difficult to boil so maybe it would be a good choice for track days and even for a daily driver.

I do not know if it absorbs moisture very easily.

So I would like to hear your coments on the subject,
thanks
Roberto

Old 06-08-2007, 06:16 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motul 600 is Dot4. It should be fine to run in your C4. It has worked fine in the C6. No boiling after 16 days on the track.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by outnumbered
Motul 600 is Dot4. It should be fine to run in your C4. It has worked fine in the C6....
Old 06-08-2007, 12:22 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Motul 600 is okay. I used it in the past for a couple of years in my C4. The only issue I had with it was that it seemed to absorb moisture more readily than ATE.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:05 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Works great in our 86. Have yet to have fluid related issues with it.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Motul 600 and ATE blue/amber are considered to be the 2nd best brake fluid out there. I've used both and they work very well. The advantage with the ATE is that you can change the color when you change fluid making it easy to know when the new is in and the old is out.

Castrol SRF is hands down the best fluid on the planet.

cost of a liter of ATE or Motul about $25. cost of a liter of SRF about $70.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:38 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
Motul 600 and ATE blue/amber are considered to be the 2nd best brake fluid out there. I've used both and they work very well. The advantage with the ATE is that you can change the color when you change fluid making it easy to know when the new is in and the old is out.

I've been using ATE SuperBlue for years and love it. It works very well, never had it boil on me even under severe conditions, and it's reasonably priced. Shop around. I've been buying it for about $14/ltr. can. I got lucky recently and bought a bunch of cans for $5 ea. at a race shop close-out. So I'm set for a couple of years now.

IMHO, the only reason to go with Castrol SRF is if you are doing some serious wheel to wheel racing or endurance races. For normal driving and for HPDE and track days or autocross, ATE or Motul are both perfectly fine.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:40 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

/agree. Motul for me, and it's been good. Support the fluid properly by using stainless lines too. Firmer pedal for more laps.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:41 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been good for me.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:09 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Motul 600

I have been using this in my race car for 5 yrs. and in my street/track car for the past 3 years and not a single problem. Because the headers are so close to the reservoir in the C5 I switched to the Motul 600 and it eliminated the brake fade I was experiencing on hot track days.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:28 PM
KBRVETTE93
Pro

I use motul. Good stuff!
Old 06-08-2007, 04:31 PM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
IMHO, the only reason to go with Castrol SRF is if you are doing some serious wheel to wheel racing or endurance races. For normal driving and for HPDE and track days or autocross, ATE or Motul are both perfectly fine.

Even for HPDE and AutoX, SRF only needs a bleed of the calipers and not a full flush every track event. Also has better boiling points for extra insurance. Cheaper over the long run, less work, and you know you have the best money can buy. IMO no reason not to use it.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:51 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Then look at the true cost per mile per liter and that makes it even closer in price. There is no fluid in your car as important as brake fluid.Motor oil may blow your motor but bad fluid may let you hit the wall. Personally I hate Motul and would rather run a Wilwood fluid if not SRF.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I use the Motul 5.1
Old 06-09-2007, 11:26 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I concur.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:33 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Kinkajou
OK, I'm still looking for an answer to this part of the question.

C4's are hard on brakes, brake fade comes in fairley fast during HPDE's and High- Speed autocrosses when sevral laps are run back to back.
Regular brake fluids DOT3 and DOT4 even when brand spanking new have troubles in C4's

So, what is recommended to use, by normal "flushing / bleeding" a system containing DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid for track use and street use combined? (not an all out racecar)

I have been using Valvoline Synthetic DOT 4 (non-silicone) with poor results IMHO on HPDE's even fresh fluid every day.

Motul 600?
ATE blue / amber?
Castrol SRF?

Are these "silicone" fluids?

What do NASCAR teams use?
Old 06-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Kinkajou
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have read that only DOT 3 can be used. Other fluids could damage the components.
Curiously I also red that you could flush perfectly the system with alcohol and then use any fluid without problems.

I have found boiling problems, but I understand that fading comes from a brake pad being so hot that it turns kind of slippery.

Let's her opinions from persons with the facts and knowledge.

Get notified of new replies

To What is your experience with Motul braking fluid?

Old 06-09-2007, 11:52 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kinkajou

It sounds like it would be difficult to boil so maybe it would be a good choice for track days and even for a daily driver.

I do not know if it absorbs moisture very easily.
I used it in my C4 religiously, and now I use it in my C5. It helped prevent brake fade due to boiling the fluid, and I never had a single problem from it.

I don't know whether it absorbs moisture easier than other fluids, but I doubt it. Even if it did, its wet boiling point is higher than the dry boiling point for a garden variety fluid.

I strongly recommend it for any and every car; and especially if it is track driven.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:56 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

DOT 5 is silicone, DOT 5.1 is not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_5.1

I have Motul RBF 600 in mine and it is fine. Any high temp. non-silicone fluid is fine. If you bleed your brakes often you will know how many pumps it takes to clear the caliper of old fluid. Suck the master empty, put in the new fluid, pump six times at most, and your caliper has new fluid. I only use one to two pumps on the bleeder per track day.

If you are having trouble with the fluid each day, I would suggest brake ducts, or a higher temp. pad. Also a better caliper would be in order. I have the C5 calipers on mine.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:35 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

I had ATE blue boil on me last weekend and brake failure because of it, of course I was driving my porsche with brembos on it. Needless to say ATE will never go on track with me again. I did 3 9 lap sessions at Little Talladega with at least 1 hour between. Then on my fourth lap of my fourth session the brakes failed. I am fortunate to not have any injuries and still have my car (in one piece) I have experienced long pedal in the pits several times with the ATE, granted my car is 3400 lbs (without me in it) I am a pretty aggressive driver.

Not trying to scare anyone but I am severely dissapointed in the fluid because I wasnt braking all that hard and it didnt fade much before going. My car is heavier and I turn pretty fast times so if you are HPDE in a lighter car I may not worry but I'm going with SRF from now on.

Quick Reply: What is your experience with Motul braking fluid?