Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wilwood Brakes: Again!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Silverton
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wilwood Brakes: Again!

OK, I've read all the posts re the SL6R front brakes: the thin calipers use a 0.64" pad, and the wide calipers (available only from LGM) use a 0.80" pad. I've also emailed LGM about the SL4R brakes: they tell me "Currently there is not a rear kit made for the C6's."

So, why can't I order the SL6R wide calipers from LGM, and order the SL4R "thin" calipers from ECS or TByrne? Any reasons why this wouldn't be the "best" Wilwood setup?
Old 06-07-2007, 11:27 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I personally like StopTechs. Try Jeff Ritter @ Stoptech...he's a forum vendor.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:27 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you can but you won't gain much in the rear for added braking and the rotors will be more but should last fairly long in the rear. I have SL4 from LG in the rear.

Last edited by John Shiels; 06-07-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:25 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

We can set you up with whatever you want. It is a matter of rotor to wheel clearance, not vendors as to which caliper you may use. We use the SL4R in the rear of C6's, and it is a full width caliper. Call us for any info you need.
Gary Hoffman
Hardbarusa.com
603-682-8073
Old 06-08-2007, 02:44 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
you can but you won't gain much in the rear for added braking and the rotors will be more but should last fairly long in the rear. I have SL4 from LG in the rear.
I have the SL6 fronts and SL4 rears on my '03 Z with Wilwood H pads. Absolutely love the setup. Let us know how the SL6R/4R setup works on the C6. A buddy of mine has been eating stock brakes on his C6Z and would love to make a change, if this one makes sense and works well.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Silverton
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe that the wide calipers won't fit at the rear with a parking brake. I would think that the standard thin SL4R calipers would be entirely adequate for the rear. Is there any reason I should not use the 13" GT rotors (rather than the 14" rotors) for the rear? Also, is a 3/16" spacer (see zip-products.com) adequate to clear OEM C6 wheels?

As for the front, the wide calipers from LGM are only slightly more expensive than the thin calipers. The only disadvantage is that a 1/4" spacer is required (see lgmotorsports.com) rather than a 1/8" spacer (see zip-products.com). Can anyone corroborate these spacer widths for OEM C6 wheels?

I would prefer to have the Stoptech BBKs, even the "four-by-four" set up, over the Wilwoods. However, there is at least a $1200 difference between these two BBKs. That would more than pay for a set of Pfatty adjustable sways bars!
Old 06-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverton
I believe that the wide calipers won't fit at the rear with a parking brake. I would think that the standard thin SL4R calipers would be entirely adequate for the rear. Is there any reason I should not use the 13" GT rotors (rather than the 14" rotors) for the rear? Also, is a 3/16" spacer (see zip-products.com) adequate to clear OEM C6 wheels?
By running the 13" you are actually moving the caliper closer to the center of the rim. The rim spokes have the most clearance at the far outer reaches. Thus, the spacer might need to be larger. I like you (when considering the Wilwood setup) figured you'd save some weight and cash on the rear by using 13" instead of 14". So, if going with a 13", I'd be skeptical of the 1/8 spacer working.

I've heard a 3/16" has plenty of clearance on the OEM C6 front rims.

As for the front, the wide calipers from LGM are only slightly more expensive than the thin calipers. The only disadvantage is that a 1/4" spacer is required (see lgmotorsports.com) rather than a 1/8" spacer (see zip-products.com). Can anyone corroborate these spacer widths for OEM C6 wheels?
Yep, the main/big disadvantage is the need for more clearance, thus $$$ rims. By running the LG caliper, you can run the thicker pad, which is always a good thing. Not exactly sure HOW big of spacer would be required to run the LG caliper. I know the other calipers can use the STOCK wheel studs with the 1/8 or 3/16.

The standard recommeded kit for the C6 is:

Front 14" kit #140-8922 (GT rotors)
Rear 14" kit #140-9119 (GT rotors)

with the rear 13" kit #140-8032 probably requiring a larger spacer!

If you want red calipers, add a -R to the end of the part number.

Doug @ ECS has great pricing on the Wilwood stuff!

I'm still considering, but think I might just beat on the stock Z51 setup with ducts, fluid, lines for awhile.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:30 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I personally like StopTechs. Try Jeff Ritter @ Stoptech...he's a forum vendor.
Rumor has it that ST now uses chinese caliper castings. The chinese are getting better but their quaility is still inconsistent generally. Maybe the ST can dispell those rumors or tell us about how they are controling this issue if they are using chinese manufacture. I like the concept of the ST products but I have fears at 140mph.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:41 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe it was Taiwan
Old 06-10-2007, 12:40 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I believe it was Taiwan
From their website:

"StopTech's ST-40 and ST-60 calipers are manufactured using a squeeze-forging process at Sanyco, a 34-year old company that is CNS, QS 9000, and ISO 9002 certified. Mitsubishi®, Volkswagen® and Toyota® are among their top customers."

They don't say it directly but Sanyco is a Taiwan company. Sanyco makes the raw caliper then they machine and finish it in CA.

Get notified of new replies

To Wilwood Brakes: Again!

Quick Reply: Wilwood Brakes: Again!