Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How mant track days should Hoosier R4's or R6's last?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How mant track days should Hoosier R4's or R6's last?

My R4's still have plenty of tread left, but they are getting slippery after 4 track days (each day= six 30 minute sessions). Is this average or should they last longer?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:51 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I race in SCCA and don't do track days, but the tires don't know the differance. I run my tires for the first 5 heat cycles in races. Then use them for cycles 6 thru 10 for practice/qualifying. After 10 cycles I throw them away. There is plenty of rubber left at that point, the grip just isn't there anymore. I would say that what you are seeing is quite normal. You can keep running them but the grip is deteriating rapidly.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:20 AM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Similar experience though I guess it depends how fast you drive.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:15 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Tread depth has nothing to do with tire wear. Heat cycles do.

so 4 days time 6 sessions = 24 session. There are shot. You could use them untill they cord at reduced speed. Best to toss them.

15 heat cycles tends to be max

Heat cycles 1-3 the most grip

4-5 or 6 good grip

6 or 7 to 15 much reduced grip but ok for practice and track days.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:25 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jrz1
Similar experience though I guess it depends how fast you drive.
How fast you drive isn't directly related, but I get your point...you can be driving aggressively but slowly and chew them up much more quickly than smooth and fast...

Dr. Chill, try putting your old ones on the rear tires and learn finesse. That's always an enlightening excercise.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

You can try and extend the life of them with some tire softener. There are several brands on the market and if you search under tire softener you will get some old SCCA forum info on the subject. From what I saw people were able to improve year old slicks by applying 14 treatments of Formula V Traction Treatment (FVTT). It looks like the tires have to be treated before each use. Still could be cheaper than replacing tires with perfectly good tread. A local race shop sells a brand that goes inside the tire and is guaranteed not to be detectable by a race track operator. NASCAR prohibits the use of tire softeners and Jeff Gordon was accused of using treated tires to win a race several years ago but nobody could prove anything.

Bill
Old 06-06-2007, 02:46 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I swap the tires on the rims then swap the rims left to right when doing track weekends. Last weekend was TWS CCW, but the weekend before was TWS CW so I left them alone for the first day. TWS is 15 turns or so with five turns being opposite ten, so one side receives a lot more wear.

At $300/tire it's worth the $40/pair to swap them on the rim and then swap the rims on the car. If you do both front and rear, it's $80, but getting more time on the $600/pair is great.

I have a reset tool, so that helps too.

JK

Get notified of new replies

To How mant track days should Hoosier R4's or R6's last?

Quick Reply: How mant track days should Hoosier R4's or R6's last?