Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG Motorsports race report, Utah World Challenge race(Spoiler)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:32 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default LG Motorsports race report, Utah World Challenge race(Spoiler)

Race Televised on Speed TV Saturday 26th at 1pm Eastern time.

Hi guys,

Well by now most of you know the results of the race. I finished 2nd behind the archer Viper with my team mate in third.

Qualifying was a bit of a disapointment. We went out after posting a great practice time of 2:55.9 which was just under our qualifying record from last year. I stickered up and did a practice qualifying attempt just to see what we had. What this time did was to pull the Viper out of their sandbagging routine and they beat the time by a full second in qualifying.

At any rate, the standing start was "Fast". Meaning that when the red lights come on they will turn off anywhere from 1 sec to 5 seconds later. Well this time they turned off 1 second later, so lucky I was ready and hit the light just right.

The photos posted by JeffVette showed that I was a full car length ahead of the #30 C6 before he moved. It also allowed me to pull along side of the Viper and go into turn one right next to it. Going into turn one, I locked up the brakes but kept the position but when I went back to the throttle, "no one was home" because I was still in 4th gear by mistake. So by the time I got into 3rd gear and pounded the pedal, the Viper pulled ahead and I had to fall into 2nd.

The Viper has had 100 pounds removed and less restrictor by 10% in only 2 races, so they were in the cat bird seat. He could toy with me at any time and control the race. There was not a single time that I thought I could even make a pass attempt. I might have been able to "punt" him but that is usually not my style.

The Porsche also got 100 pounds off and 10% less restrictor in just 2 races so they were bagging it all weekend so as to not show how fast they really are. (too much manipulating)

It is not how fast you really are, it is how fast you make your car appear to position yourself for adjustments from the sanctioning body.
But this season, I think the tech dept is 100% better than in 06 and the management is so much better, I doubt that trying to fool them will be as easy this season.

Back to the race. The Porsche 997 with the new lighter weight and more power just tagged along on my bumper on lap 3 down the straight and passed me under braking with ease.

So with the fast Porsche chasing the Viper they both stepped it up and pulled away from me. It would have turned into a Porache/Viper parade running away if it was not for the bone head move by the Porsche two laps later.

The Porsche went into turn 1 on the bumper of the Viper and attempted an out braking pass but this time he locked the brakes up and slid into the Viper. This caused the Porsche to spin out and lose a ton of time. it also slowed the viper for an instant but the viper was still in control about 3 seconds ahead.

Funny thing about having a superior Viper. The Viper slowed down so by the middle of the same lap at about turn 12, we were nose to tail again.

I tried to use our Corvette high speed handling and our excellent braking capabilies to close the gap and surprise him but any time I got close, the Viper just stepped it up and moved out of harms way.

So we settled for a close second place a half second behind. Never really being able to contest the win.

My team mate, Doug Peterson came in third about a second behind doing a great job this race. Last season he did not compete in the full series. He skipped a few races and also split his time between Pro Mazda and World Challenge. This is hard to do, so he is concentrating on the Corvette full time this season. Doug is a formula Mazda National Champion so he is no slouch. Hopefully he will see the podium again this season.

Remember the Porsche 997 that complains about being out classed? well after his spin, he came back up to 4th place setting a fast lap almost 2 seconds faster than my 06 race lap record. And when he got to 4th place, he made the decision to stay there for "Political" reasons. It is hard to complain that you are the weakling in the series when you set fastest lap and climb back up into the top 3 after a spin, so he stayed in 4th.

I on the other hand am not as skilled at sandabagging. I just like to go fast and pass cars. So the cars with self control can sit back and go slower than they can to gain adjustments. Not My Style.

So far we have not mentioned the Cadillac CTSv of Pilgrim at all. Well on the start, he got caught by the light and jumped the start. So he had to come in for a "Stop and Go" penalty. Then charging through the pack, he went off track. Those problems kept him out of the top ten this race, after 2 good finishes at Sebring and Long Beach.

The #30 C6 of Curran was running in 5th place I believe, when the Porsche checked up for some gravel on the track, and he ran into the back of the Porsche. This pushed the radiator shroud into the radiator and punctured their radiator ending his race. Eric Curran was the winner of the first two events so this was a great disapointment to their team. The whole Whelen Engineering team is a great bunch of guys and real racers. It is fun competing with them.

Next, we go to Charlotte for the "Modified Oval" race. in 3 days. The good thing is that we race right after the Cup Qualifying, under the lights, in front of a ton of spectators who have not been exposed to our kind of racing. We may come back with alot of new fans. Yes, racing on this kind of track will be different but like I have said before," if you set up two barrels and put up some prize money, I will be there."

Thanks guys,

Talk to you after charlotte.

Lou Gigliotti LGM

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"
Old 05-21-2007, 08:46 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Good Deal Lou, thanks

Just waiting for the TV and of course your great "in-car" video.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:15 AM
BBQ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in car video!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:25 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,388 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
["If you set up two barrels and put up some prize money, I will be there."
Lou, thanks for taking the time to write up your experiences; sure makes the race more entertaining knowing an inside perspective.

I think you should put the above quote over the door to your racing office!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-21-2007, 11:35 AM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, great run, Lou-- glad to see that sandbagging doesn't cross your mind...how boring would THAT be?! Also good to say "Hello" to you on the plane yesterday-- was fun to turn the corner and see your recognizable face right there in the front!

On the subject of qualifying, do you think you would have improved your position if the session hadn't been cut short when Drissi stalled out on course? Looked to me like you ran a quick lap early, but were working on the car in preparation for another run.

Congrats,
Fred
Old 05-21-2007, 11:44 AM
LG Motorsports

Fred,

Hi and thanks.

The Toyo Tires only have one good lap in them with the "sticky" mold release on them. the second lap at every track we go is Always slower.

Sometimes you can come in the pits and cool the package off and come close but usually your second attempt at qualifying on these tires is slower by .5 to .8 sec on most tracks.

Sandbagging? We don't need NO STINKING SAND!!

Charlotte will be a real challenge. Jimmy Johnson in the #48 caddy and some other NASCAR drivers will add to the mix. But overall it should be a great race. One Day, In and Out. Practice, qualify and race on the same day will be something new. I like the short format. Sink or swim !

The only down side would be if we crash in practice, which would be a bad thing. No time to fix it right.

Thursday night after NASCAR Qualifying. See you there.

thanks
Lou Gigliotti
Old 05-21-2007, 12:04 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

F

Charlotte will be a real challenge. Jimmy Johnson in the #48 caddy and some other NASCAR drivers will add to the mix. But overall it should be a great race. One Day, In and Out. Practice, qualify and race on the same day will be something new. I like the short format. Sink or swim !
Need some additional help?? Will crew for entry
Old 05-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Nice run Lou...
Old 05-21-2007, 12:32 PM
MikeP
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Lou

Great job in Utah. Looking forward to talking to yourself and Louis at Charlotte. I'm working on pit passes as we speak. Do you know what part of the infield they will be putting WC cars? Yes you will have more fans than you can shake a stick at. Take it to the front and let all those sandbagers whine. See yea there.

Mike P.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:21 PM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Lou,
I enjoyed the Utah race, you looked great. After we got to run our two parade laps it amazes me you can remember what portion of the track you are on. I thought we were coming up to the end of the first lap and we still had eight or nine turns to go.
I do have one thing I can proudly say, I passed Ron Fellows on the track, of course he was jogging around the track.
Keep up the good race.

Steve C
Old 05-21-2007, 05:51 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to the broadcast and the video
Old 05-21-2007, 06:30 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Great job Lou

Next, we go to Charlotte for the "Modified Oval" race. in 3 days. The good thing is that we race right after the Cup Qualifying, under the lights, in front of a ton of spectators who have not been exposed to our kind of racing. We may come back with alot of new fans.
Put on a good show for the Lou.
We need more converts
Old 05-21-2007, 07:09 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

good show
Old 05-21-2007, 08:10 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

As always, thanks for the write up Lou, cant wait for broadcast and in car
Old 05-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Cbntmn
Racer

Lou,

Thanks for taking the time out. Its great to here your perspective.

Good luck on the oval.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:57 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Old 05-23-2007, 06:30 AM
ReddyZ06
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Lou, thanks for taking the time to write up your experiences; sure makes the race more entertaining knowing an inside perspective.

Mike

Thanks for keeping us posted.
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To LG Motorsports race report, Utah World Challenge race(Spoiler)

Old 05-23-2007, 10:56 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Hi Lou, Janet and I enjoyed talking with you in the Paddock before and after the race in the Speed GT World Challenge event in Utah! You ran a great clean race. The Porsche 997 was definitely "sand bagging" when he was able to quickly come back up to 4th place after he spun. Watching Lou and team race - Not a bad way to spend part of our 20th wedding anniversary vacation from Virginia, which was Janet's idea - I'm a lucky man!

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 05-28-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:22 PM
LG Motorsports

What a difference a week makes!

Thanks
LG
Old 05-28-2007, 12:26 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

spoiler below possibly

Spoiler

Quick Reply: LG Motorsports race report, Utah World Challenge race(Spoiler)