Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA Roebling report

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:37 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Default NASA Roebling report

Great event, awesome weather, lots of red flags, blown engines here and there etc.. Jody and I had a blast, and the ST1 guys had great races as well.

I don't have official results, but here's a few photos if you're interested

Old 05-20-2007, 09:39 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice. everything held together fine?
Old 05-20-2007, 09:54 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

uh.....no. I've got either a major engine problem, or a burned wire/sensor somewhere. Mine ran good on track....Jody and I were pretty much dead even, but as soon as I slow down and idle, smoke keeps billowing out.

Jody had a good weekend. I think he needs a halfshaft (leaking boot and clunk), but otherwise good. Reese *** ran ST1 on Saturday, but broke on the last lap. I heard it was an engine failure, but not sure.

Hopefully it's an O2 sensor or another easy fix. I'm just happy to have had one really fun weekend.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:59 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take it that they have some restrictive sound limits there???
Old 05-20-2007, 10:46 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by freefall
I take it that they have some restrictive sound limits there???
103db. The only car I know of that got kicked out for exceeding it was a sweet Ferrari 355 Challenge car. Sounded great to me!
Old 05-20-2007, 10:53 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

what kind of lap times were you guys seeing there?
Old 05-20-2007, 11:47 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

I had a ball watching Jody and Dave go at it this weekend. On Saturday Dave qualified 9th and Jody 11th but Dave was late to the grid and rolled off in about 20th. I thought Jody had a class win in the bag but Dave ran him down after 6 or 7 laps and made a great outside pass thru T1. I thought he'd drive away from him but Jody wasn't having it turned up the wick and stayed right with Dave for the rest of the race and they finished 1-2. Today's race was just as good but was a 3-way battle between Dave, Jody and an ST1 driver in a turbo Lotus 7-type car. Though the Lotus was gridded ahead of them Dave and Jody got a better start and led into T1. The Lotus had amazing grip in the corners, though, and came right back and got between Jody and Dave in T2. After that, Jody and the Lotus had a great race swapping positions 5 or 6 times with Jody passing on the front straight then having to try and fight him off thru the corners. All this is happening right behind Dave who wasn't able to really get away. For a brief time the Lotus got ahead of Dave but was re-passed quickly. Unfortunately, the race was shortened due a red flag then restarted and finished under green with Dave a few seconds ahead winning ST2 with Jody 2nd. Great driving by all but especially by Jody who really upped his game this weekend when the pressure was on on. Nice work for a rookie.
I probably shouldn't have been suprised but I must admit I didn't expect Dave to be so damn fast in his first race out on his new untested suspension and with an old underpowered LS1. The El Corvette-amino may look a little funny but when he puts the spurs to it it flies. Hmmm, maybe Jody needs some of those JC Whitney hood louvers like Dave's got.

Last edited by tcmc5; 05-21-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:52 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Originally Posted by jrz1
what kind of lap times were you guys seeing there?
In qualifying today I think Dave turned a 1:17.xx to Jody's 1:18.6. The fast ST1 guys were in the 14s. The fast GTS Porsches were 14s as well.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:55 AM
Cbntmn
Racer

Reese lost the engine in the race car with a fuel pump. Engine ran lean and let loose. He was running 14s also.

I think he was also running 14s in his c6z. that thing is an absolute rocketship.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:00 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Good Report guys.

Vetts are fast in the straights, but those little cars, fly in the corners.

I See Craig Gelston was there in the Red White & BLue #11 C4
Old 05-21-2007, 07:33 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Craig's C4 was running really well. I think he won at least one of the races.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:29 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Old 05-21-2007, 09:02 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

What a fantastic weekend. It was probably the best weekend I've had at the track. It had excitement aplenty.

David was there is the El-Corvett-o (that is now a sleek roadster, BTW) and had it running strong. In the Saturday's race, although he qualified 9th, he had to start in 20th, but for a driver with David’s skills that’s not a problem.

During the first few laps I was running what I thought was pretty hard and I saw David closing the gap on every lap as I was coming out of T2. I knew it was just a matter of time until he would be on my azz. It was still too early in the race to have much traffic to help me fend him off so he kept coming strong.

On about the 5th or 6th lap he was behind me going into T1 and I had a good lead, but I braked too early. I took the inside line thinking I'd close off a passing opportunity. About the time I was off the brake, he comes shooting by me on the outside of T1. I thought, he’s never going to hold it. The deeper we went into the turn the more I thought, he can’t hold it now, but he kept holding it. Since I was on the inside with a tighter radius and there was no way I was going to run David off track, I then started telling myself, don’t worry about him, you’re about to lose it yourself! About midways through the T1/T2 carousel he was able to complete the pass and pull safely in front of me. It was a thrilling pass and I learned a bunch from it.

From then until the end of the race I stayed on him pretty close.

Sunday’s race was as much fun. David, a fellow in a Locost 7 with a Miata turbo’d car was in the mix with us. He could put that thing anywhere and it’d stick like glue. I could outmuscle him in the straights, but he’d be right back again in the turns. He was so small it was really hard to keep track of him when he's behind you since he can dart back and forth with ease. I had a great seat watching David and him go at it in front of me.

I finished downloading the video to the computer last night and will post some hi-lights tonight when I get some time to upload them.

Wow! What a great weekend.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:31 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey David and Jody,
TCC has a race at Nelson Ledges on June 30th and July 1st. I sure would love to see you guys, and any other NASA Corvettes show up and race with us. I think if you try it, you will love TCC. Great group of guys, fast cars, great atmosphere. You get to race with 15 to 20 Corvettes. Everybody is willing to help out if you break something, my brother and I have been under just about everybodys car at one time or another. Many of us get together after the race for a barbeque, bench racing and a few beers. Great time. Let me know if you need any more information.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:45 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

It's my JCWhitney hood louvers that gave me the extra grip in turn 1........
Old 05-21-2007, 05:10 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to get me some of those louvers then....

The event was a lot of fun and it was busy, busy for me...

Other than the grid guys wanting to put me 23rd (I politely declined) in the line for TT (we lost the transponder in one session) we had no real issues. Traffic was really bad and lots of folks were being aggressive stupid in the HPDE 4/Instructor/TT sessions in the AM.

I am missing my 315s on the ZO6....The 295s are OK but I can tell the difference in grip especially in T7....

Jody I tried to chase you down as you were leaving - I guess you are used to people waving $20 bills at you! You going to be at Rockingham?

Hope to have the FRC together for Rockingham with the new improved suspension...
Old 05-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Here is some video from the event.

Saturday’s race. The start, David’s pass, and the finish:

Giddy Up, Cowboy!

Sunday’s start and finish:

Git along little doggie!

Get notified of new replies

To NASA Roebling report

Old 05-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by varkwso
Jody I tried to chase you down as you were leaving - I guess you are used to people waving $20 bills at you!
Usually when they are waving the $20 bills I have to give a lap dance.

I had to hurry across the track because they were getting ready to close it to traffic. In fact, the tailgate on my trailer wasn't totally closed and it fell open and I was dragging it. That caused some consternation with the officals.

Do me a favor, give Jake the money and tell him congratulations on his graduation.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:33 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Gotcha - the "custom" exhaust work below is why I asked...

Originally Posted by tcmc5
103db. The only car I know of that got kicked out for exceeding it was a sweet Ferrari 355 Challenge car. Sounded great to me!
Old 05-21-2007, 08:31 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I was running similar exhaust work just in case. I am running a stock LS1, but I have LG headers and straight pipes. I'm actually surprised they didn't give us a harder time on sound.

Quick Reply: NASA Roebling report