Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

autocrossing on wet pavement - which tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Barbara_S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default autocrossing on wet pavement - which tires

I have v710s and street sumitomos. Tomorrow my club is autocrossing and the weather looks like it will be wet with a passing shower or 2.

The only day I used 710's on wet pavement, we had downpours and you can guess how much grip I had.

So, if it's just wet, would it also be a waste of time to run with 710's or has anyone found there is enough grip to be faster than street tires?

TIA -Barbara
Old 05-19-2007, 09:39 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Barbara_S
I have v710s and street sumitomos. Tomorrow my club is autocrossing and the weather looks like it will be wet with a passing shower or 2.

The only day I used 710's on wet pavement, we had downpours and you can guess how much grip I had.

So, if it's just wet, would it also be a waste of time to run with 710's or has anyone found there is enough grip to be faster than street tires?

TIA -Barbara
The general rule of thumb that I use is: If you can see the tracks of the tires on the wet pavement then take off the A6s or 710s and go to whatever else you brought. FWIW.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Barbara_S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TedDBere
The general rule of thumb that I use is: If you can see the tracks of the tires on the wet pavement then take off the A6s or 710s and go to whatever else you brought. FWIW.
Good advice and easy to remember, Thank you.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:23 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Barbara_S
Good advice and easy to remember, Thank you.
Better yet if you see moisture on the ground put the car on or in the trailer
Old 05-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere

Pretty close to my rule, if you can see the "grain" in the surface, the slick tires will work. If you can't see it you are going skating....

Get notified of new replies

To autocrossing on wet pavement - which tires

Quick Reply: autocrossing on wet pavement - which tires