Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18 May at Roebling or OLOA Reunion, South

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 07:43 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 18 May at Roebling or OLOA Reunion, South

Josh and I hit Roebling Road yesterday with Jon's Seat-Time event. It was a banner turnout with ~61 cars and lots of familiar faces from other events. There were quite a few recent OLOA runners in attendance - but Whitis did not bring his deer. The event went off without a hitch and everyone seemed to have a great time.

Thanks to Wally's invitation Josh and I went down Thursday night and stayed in the Comfort Suites (nice hotel by the way!). It was nice to have an easy pull on Friday AM to the track. We met up with Jim and his awesome Atomic ZO6 there too.

Josh put on over 150 track miles on Friday in the ZO6. He was a tired young man at the end of the day. We burnt an entire tank of gas down to the fumes. He did great overall. He had a few bobbles - lifting in T8 was the one we had the most discussion about. But he did learn to adjust his line, throttle and braking for earlier mistakes and traffic management. As a matter of fact he did an outstanding job never repeating the same exact mistake. The things he noticed different than the Fiesta, other then the ZO6 has "grunt", is that smoothness is an absolute necessity to keeping the car balanced. Any abrupt maneuvers really upset the car. He also liked the fact the throttle really helps maneuver the car around the track. His favorite turn was T2 when he got it down - tires screaming, motor revving and car pushing exactly where you want it on exit - it is enough to get the juices of life flowing. It also makes it easy to make passes on the short straight there...

We buttoned up the trailer, covered the car and left in the truck to come home for Jake's graduation today. Since Josh was really, really beat from the day at the track I only made him drive 2/3's of the way home last night. I feel it is important to toughen them up while they are young.

After graduation this afternoon all three of us are headed back to Roebling for NASA on Sunday to run Time Trial. I think Jake and Josh should be able to drive me down there tonight.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:32 PM
SavannahVette13
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i saw a bunch of yall down here, i live here in pooler, glad to hear yall had a good time
Old 05-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Cbntmn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great time this weekend Jeff. Good to see you and the boys.

Josh is going to be a great driver. Amazing how young guys pick up on the lines.

The young man I instructed on Friday rode with me and learned the lines in one session. The difference between his first session before the ride and after the ride was pretty amazing. He never repeated his mistakes either. MAKES ME ILL. im still repeating mine. Wish i would have started this stuff when i was 18 years old.

Ill probably be off track for a couple of months. Vacations coming up, time to get the boat going and get some wakeboarding done with my son. 2 weeks in the Keys coming up next month.

HOWEVER, there is a SAFE event at Sebring this weekend.....wonder if i can pull that one off??

Later
Old 05-21-2007, 05:15 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cbntmn
Great time this weekend Jeff. Good to see you and the boys.

Josh is going to be a great driver. Amazing how young guys pick up on the lines.

The young man I instructed on Friday rode with me and learned the lines in one session. The difference between his first session before the ride and after the ride was pretty amazing. He never repeated his mistakes either. MAKES ME ILL. im still repeating mine. Wish i would have started this stuff when i was 18 years old.

Ill probably be off track for a couple of months. Vacations coming up, time to get the boat going and get some wakeboarding done with my son. 2 weeks in the Keys coming up next month.

HOWEVER, there is a SAFE event at Sebring this weekend.....wonder if i can pull that one off??

Later
I try to cut back in the summer time also - we are only planning onve event for June. But July looks like 7 days at VIR and 2 days at CMP....

I would make Sebring if I could!
Old 05-21-2007, 07:31 PM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was good to see you Jeff. It sounds like you did more driving to and from the track than on it.

It was also nice to me you Mark. Thanks for introducing me and Patches to your family. Also for the trailer I think it will work well. I will look forward to see you a RR again in Sept.. I may try and get there for the Seat Time on Friday.

Jeff I hope to see and the boys at the Rock.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:48 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

$94 diesel to and from the track

$68 high test at the track....

I just love those "free" weekends

You need to make Seat-Time - best deal on the planet for track time...
Old 05-21-2007, 09:55 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

Great time last weekend at Roebling, Thanks Jeff and Josh, Wally, Jerry for all of the help. I really learned a lot from all of you. A great time with the Z. See you guys at VIR unless you are going to Sebring this weekend. I will be there. JD
Old 05-21-2007, 11:41 PM
Cbntmn
Racer

I decided to jump on the Sebring bandwagon this weekend. Wifey was a little miffed but her parents are coming down for the weekend so that will keep her happy. Ill get my butt home Sat night and get the boat out Sunday with the rest of the fam. My 12 year old is ready to pit for me. Made up a list of things for him to do to the car.....ck tire pressure, ck oil, download traqmate data. Keeps him busy.

He will also take a bunch of pictures. if anybody wants specific track pics let us know.

Just got back from working on the car to get it ready. Ripped out the headliner to give me more head room. I have a new MOMO steering wheel coming with a flat bottom for more leg room, and a quick release for the wheel that moves it 3" closer to me. I think that will give me a much better driving position. Things were way out of whack this weekend. Heck thats gotta be worth 2 seconds a lap??
Old 05-22-2007, 02:59 AM
jster171
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a great time as well, thanks for the ride Jeff I got moved up to the advanced group after lunch, what a rush!!! Thats a whole new ball game with those guys and it was a GREAT learning experience. I plan to go back in Sept and give it another go. See ya there
Old 05-22-2007, 07:15 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jster171
I had a great time as well, thanks for the ride Jeff I got moved up to the advanced group after lunch, what a rush!!! Thats a whole new ball game with those guys and it was a GREAT learning experience. I plan to go back in Sept and give it another go. See ya there
It was my pleasure - I heard that Jon has the first weekend in August at Roebling also. I will be there in September, also!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:18 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

.... My 12 year old is ready to pit for me. Made up a list of things for him to do to the car.....ck tire pressure, ck oil, download traqmate data. Keeps him busy.

He will also take a bunch of pictures. if anybody wants specific track pics let us know.

Just got back from working on the car to get it ready. Ripped out the headliner to give me more head room. I have a new MOMO steering wheel coming with a flat bottom for more leg room, and a quick release for the wheel that moves it 3" closer to me. I think that will give me a much better driving position. Things were way out of whack this weekend. Heck thats gotta be worth 2 seconds a lap??

In three years you will be checking the oil, tires and data traps for him....ask me how I know
Old 05-22-2007, 01:39 PM
racerjon1
Racer

Yep.. I have added August 11 and 12.. just not on the site yet.

Jon K
Old 05-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Cbntmn
Racer

Good, that gives me a date to shoot for next event after this weekend. Main thing i want to accomplish on the car this summer is get the coilovers set up and get the video/data set up done.

Beyond that get the trailer set up....let me see...

FLoors
walls
generator
cabinets
etc
etc
etc.

Now, where is that credit card that my wife cant see.....
Old 05-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Cbntmn
Racer

Originally Posted by varkwso
In three years you will be checking the oil, tires and data traps for him....ask me how I know
I guess I should ad ck the transponder to that list......
Old 05-22-2007, 06:59 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

I guess I should ad ck the transponder to that list......
Ouch that stings a bit ....you definitely want to see a green light on that bad boy

It is one of the things we check every time now...

Get notified of new replies

To 18 May at Roebling or OLOA Reunion, South

Quick Reply: 18 May at Roebling or OLOA Reunion, South