Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier Heat Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hoosier Heat Cycling

I am considering the Hoosier R6 tires for HPDE's. I want something that fits my C6 Z06 OEM wheels. Tire rack offers them and for only $15 per tire they will intially heat cycle them. This would seem like a no brainer if it is effective. Has anyone tried this?

Geoff
Old 05-15-2007, 03:03 PM
80shilling
Instructor

Originally Posted by Geoff17
I am considering the Hoosier R6 tires for HPDE's. I want something that fits my C6 Z06 OEM wheels. Tire rack offers them and for only $15 per tire they will intially heat cycle them. This would seem like a no brainer if it is effective. Has anyone tried this?

Geoff
I have been running the Various flavors of Hoosier R tires for about ten years.... DEFINITELY get them heat cycled at the Tire Rack, it is money well spent as they work flawlessly right from the first lap. I used to do the heat cycling myself, but you can never tell if you are going to be able to do the correct number of laps and get the appropriate temperatures into the tires.

I have found that the Heat cycled Hoosiers from the Tire Rack seem to last WAY longer than the ones I heat cycled myself.. I could be full of it, but that's my observation..
Old 05-15-2007, 03:33 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Save your money.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:42 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I agree, save your money. However, Chris and I are racers, and our needs may be different.......
Old 05-15-2007, 04:41 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I agree, save your money. However, Chris and I are racers, and our needs may be different.......
??

You don't think heat cycle is beneficial or you don't think TireRack's procedure for heat cycling is inefficient?

??
Old 05-15-2007, 04:58 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have gotten my last 3 sets of tires heat cycled (V710 and Hoosier) from Tire Rack, and have gotten a full season out of them and more. This is when other people tell me they last like 3 or 4 days. I have never not gotten them heat cycled, so I can't be 100% absolute, but again, everyone tells me how quickly these tires go, and I don't find that to be the case...who knows.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:09 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by petefias
??

You don't think heat cycle is beneficial or you don't think TireRack's procedure for heat cycling is inefficient?

??
Heat cycling is important ON YOUR CAR. not purchasing a heat cycled tire from a vendor.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Well I appreciate the replys. This is certainly not black or white. It would appear that the more serious racers see it as a waste of time. What appears to be more casual racers (like me) think it is worthwhile so I think for the $60 I will do for it but I really appreciate the comments.

Thanks, Geoff
Old 05-15-2007, 06:39 PM
80shilling
Instructor

Originally Posted by Geoff17
Well I appreciate the replys. This is certainly not black or white. It would appear that the more serious racers see it as a waste of time. What appears to be more casual racers (like me) think it is worthwhile so I think for the $60 I will do for it but I really appreciate the comments.

Thanks, Geoff
I have done it both ways and for $60.00 I think it's a no brainer. I am also a racer and used Hoosiers on my Porsche 944 Turbo... 440 RWHP full cup suspension etc.... I felt that the heat cycled tires from Tire Rack were definitely fantastic, immediately I hit the track... Again, just my opinion, but $60.00? It's at least worth trying... If you find no benefit, then just don't do it next time...
Old 05-15-2007, 06:48 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 80shilling
I have done it both ways and for $60.00 I think it's a no brainer. I am also a racer and used Hoosiers on my Porsche 944 Turbo... 440 RWHP full cup suspension etc.... I felt that the heat cycled tires from Tire Rack were definitely fantastic, immediately I hit the track... Again, just my opinion, but $60.00? It's at least worth trying... If you find no benefit, then just don't do it next time...
And I think that you would also because you saw me run. I was the Red Z06 #693 a couple weeks ago at Sears for the HPDE that we were running with NASA. The tires that I was running were a fresh heat cycled set of V710's from the tire rack and they seems to bite much better out of the box. I have tried them both ways and seem to get about one extra day out of them during HPDE events by heat cycling. So for the $60, I would do it. The hard core racers may not agree, but it works well for HPDE's.
RICH
Old 05-15-2007, 06:53 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Heat cycling is important ON YOUR CAR. not purchasing a heat cycled tire from a vendor.
I never purchased heat cycled tires and try to heat cycle them on my car. The problem is on the street I cannot put the heat into it like on the track. At the track it is already too late. I do have two sets of wheels (one set has street tires), looks like I need at least three.

Is it worth the bother trying to heat cycle them when I can't really bring the temp up to 180 (maybe 120)?
Old 05-15-2007, 09:22 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Don't do it !

I was able to jam one tire in my clothes dryer. Couldn't close the dryer door. When wife found out what I did she beat the crap out of me, as I broke the friggin thing.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:21 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...eatCycling.jsp

This explains about heat cycling. What do you guys think.

It made sense to me.

Dan
Old 05-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Code Z
Advanced

I'm a little leary about TR just making a few more bucks on already expensive tires...however

when I had issues with a set of 710's they replaced them. when I got them they had been heat cycled, so I think they certainly believe it helps.

They certainly express, in the marketing/instructional materials you get how important it is and also how nearly impossible it is to heat cycle them on your car.

It's a tough call...at least it's $15/tire now it used to be $25
Old 05-16-2007, 12:21 PM
80shilling
Instructor

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
And I think that you would also because you saw me run. I was the Red Z06 #693 a couple weeks ago at Sears for the HPDE that we were running with NASA. The tires that I was running were a fresh heat cycled set of V710's from the tire rack and they seems to bite much better out of the box. I have tried them both ways and seem to get about one extra day out of them during HPDE events by heat cycling. So for the $60, I would do it. The hard core racers may not agree, but it works well for HPDE's.
RICH
Rich, great to hear from you. I noticed that you were rather quick out there at Sears Point... Your Car was definitely the fastest in Group 4 that day and looked spectacular going through some of the bends. That T1 suspension seems to make it corner VERY flat, almost no discernible body roll at all.

I agree with your opinion on the tires and heat cycling.

When are you at the track next?

Graham
Old 05-16-2007, 02:39 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 80shilling
Rich, great to hear from you. I noticed that you were rather quick out there at Sears Point... Your Car was definitely the fastest in Group 4 that day and looked spectacular going through some of the bends. That T1 suspension seems to make it corner VERY flat, almost no discernible body roll at all.

I agree with your opinion on the tires and heat cycling.

When are you at the track next?

Graham
Thanks for the compliment. The car was doing great that day and was running 1:51's and one 1:50.xx all day with no traffic around. I wanted a series of clean laps to get that 1:49 that I have been looking for.

Sent you a PM Graham.
RICH

Get notified of new replies

To Hoosier Heat Cycling

Quick Reply: Hoosier Heat Cycling