Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 Design Flaw?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 Design Flaw?

Have you guys seen this post?

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showt...=IMPORTANT+LS7

If this is true, what a joke- the Z06 will be undriveable at the track! There must be a fix for this or this is just flat wrong.. Just use the brakes? There are not a lot of 3 lap races.. Anybody else heard this from a different source?

I had ordered an '08 for track stuff, but I will cancel it and get another 911 if this is for real...
Old 05-15-2007, 12:09 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

"brakes are cheaper than engines, and much easier to replace".

Several ppl have put in oil catch cans and remove the screen from the bottom of the tank. These two things have helped.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Helped as in this fixes the problem or helped as in it takes longer for the detonation?

Brakes may be cheaper, true, but a car that uses brakes and engine braking will pass you at every corner....
Old 05-15-2007, 12:19 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tintin
Helped as in this fixes the problem or helped as in it takes longer for the detonation?
SO far, it allows drivers to run full session on the track without going into limp mode.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Criminy, I am not sure I can even drive a car without downshifting!! It is hard to unlearn what has been a lifetime of habit... Think you would be able to do it every time? Good grief what a fiasco, I don't like screwing around with cars that have a 100K warranty...

By the way I never complemented you on the clever use of the periodic table - very good! As a former MPC triple major, I love stuff like that...
Old 05-15-2007, 12:59 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Criminy, I am not sure I can even drive a car without downshifting!! It is hard to unlearn what has been a lifetime of habit... Think you would be able to do it every time? Good grief what a fiasco, I don't like screwing around with cars that have a 100K warranty...

By the way I never complemented you on the clever use of the periodic table - very good! As a former MPC triple major, I love stuff like that...
Thanks I use to be a Univ Prof. ( Not chemisty) and like to make ppl think.

Had a guy follow me for 4 sessions one day, trying to figure out what my Lic Plate said. ( same as my handle) and he was a Chemical Engineer.

Go figure.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Thanks I use to be a Univ Prof. ( Not chemisty) and like to make ppl think.

Had a guy follow me for 4 sessions one day, trying to figure out what my Lic Plate said. ( same as my handle) and he was a Chemical Engineer.

Go figure.
I get emails from MBAs that are essentially illiterate...

Looks like the Z06 may be a Pb Balloon...

Oh well, there is always another RennWagen...
Old 05-15-2007, 01:09 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Brakes are for stopping and engines are for going. I have seen too many timming chains cause major-total damage, to say anything different. Sorry Geoff, this is for educational reasons only
Old 05-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=Randy@DRM;1560258674]Brakes are for stopping and engines are for going. I have seen too many timming chains cause major-total damage, to say anything different. Sorry Geoff, this is for educational reasons onlyQUOTE]

I am at a loss here, what has a timing chain to do with hydraulic problems?

The thread is referring to a basic design flaw in the LS7 wherein the emission control system for the dry sump system is flawed in such a way that compression pressure in the intake causes oil to pool there and be pulled into the cylinders on throttle application causing hydraulic lock and a big bang ! That is about $15K to remedy methinks.
At least that is what it appears to be from the Z06.com posting. I had hoped that this was a speculation on the part of the poster, but it looks like it isn't according to my colleague Goldie..

If you are using a car at the track, it is critical to engage engine braking to be efficient (i.e. quick) and to have the brakes not overheat in a few laps. If this is not possible with a Z06 then obviously it is not a very good track car so I should get a regular C6 because it will not explode after a short track ride. I should add that anyone who tracks a car recognizes that they shorten the life of it....
Old 05-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I told tom when i first met him it meant golden angel - in german engel (engl) is angel ...
Old 05-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Timz06
I told tom when i first met him it meant golden angel - in german engel (engl) is angel ...
I see Golden Eagle.. am I a Philistine?
Old 05-15-2007, 01:42 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

I

Looks like the Z06 may be a Pb Balloon...

Oh well, there is always another RennWagen...

Here are more suggestions:

"Suggested that we remove the pads (which we have done). Also suggested that we only fill the oil tank half way between the low and full marks. We are looking at removing the breather tubes from the top of the oil tank and routing them through an oil seperator and catch can"
Old 05-15-2007, 01:44 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm confused - I downshift, but I hit the brakes hard enough where the engine revs fall down VERY quickly... you'd have to be coasting to actually engine-brake.

This does explain alot thought - there was a new Z06 at TWS last year that came in with oil all over the front end and damned if we could figure out where it was coming from... now I know.

Interesting.

Last edited by yellow01; 05-15-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:46 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

The LS7 actually has an "engine brake" mode that reduces engine torque under deceleration. I assumed it was to prevent tire spin under non-rev-matched downshifts, but it could be to address this issue.

I ran a new Z06 at VIR quite hard last month, and will be doing it at Roebling this weekend, but I don't do much "coasting" personally.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:42 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I drove all the way down Pike's Peak w/o using my brakes.

Remind me never to do that if I'm ever driving a C6Z06
Old 05-15-2007, 07:12 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=Tintin;1560258861]
Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Brakes are for stopping and engines are for going. I have seen too many timming chains cause major-total damage, to say anything different. Sorry Geoff, this is for educational reasons onlyQUOTE]

I am at a loss here, what has a timing chain to do with hydraulic problems?

The thread is referring to a basic design flaw in the LS7 wherein the emission control system for the dry sump system is flawed in such a way that compression pressure in the intake causes oil to pool there and be pulled into the cylinders on throttle application causing hydraulic lock and a big bang ! That is about $15K to remedy methinks.
At least that is what it appears to be from the Z06.com posting. I had hoped that this was a speculation on the part of the poster, but it looks like it isn't according to my colleague Goldie..

If you are using a car at the track, it is critical to engage engine braking to be efficient (i.e. quick) and to have the brakes not overheat in a few laps. If this is not possible with a Z06 then obviously it is not a very good track car so I should get a regular C6 because it will not explode after a short track ride. I should add that anyone who tracks a car recognizes that they shorten the life of it....

I was trying to get the point across that the engine is used for going not stopping. I don't really have a comment on the oil issue on the new car. There is a lot of new stuff going on there. Simple breathers can fix just about any oiling problem out there.

Randy
Old 05-15-2007, 08:16 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

from Z06.com
QUOTE=RocketSled]Seems like it shouldn't be much trouble to block those lines when you go to the track (I wouldn't want to advocate modifications to the emissions system for street use).[/QUOTE]
simple answer, with all the other things we do, this wouldn't be hard to add to the list.
As for me I'll take a new Z06 any old day

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 Design Flaw?

Old 05-15-2007, 08:33 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I just looked the an LS7 setup, and nothing special. There is a vent line from the rock cover to the tank, and from the tank to the air-bridge. Pretty much same thing as any other LSX setup.

I think that "article" is flawed, as the system doesn not go into the intake manifold (ie vacuum), but the air bridge, which is NOT under serious vacuum at any time, and certainly not while decel.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:37 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

btw, you can easily put a "catch can" in line if you are losing too much oil, just like every other LS engine.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:09 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

This is old news to many of us Z owners. We have been running our cars with the oil level to the center mark with zero problems.

To clarify, if you have the full 8 quarts in your engine/dry sump system, you do not need to down shift to slow the car to get the oil in your intake.

I have always been taught you use brakes to slow and stop and gas to go.

If you use the engine to slow the car you may break something.

Dan

Quick Reply: LS7 Design Flaw?