Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn brake fluid ( + paint = blech)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 11:43 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Damn brake fluid ( + paint = blech)

First guys, sorry I have no freaking idea the best place to put this, but when I'm on the CF I'm typically in this section... Mods, move it if there's a better place & thanks.

Just found that my M/C cap doesn't seal (must be all the on-offs and bleed jobs) and leaked all down the frame rail on the left side. After cleaning it up, I'm down to metal in an 8" section (I think it had been leaking all winter when I didn't do any maintenance on the car with a few 'round town drives).

So the question is, is there a good/better/best paint to recoat the frame rail?
Old 05-14-2007, 12:09 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,392 Likes on 745 Posts

What a bummer.

As far as paint goes, I assume you're just going for rust protection.

If that's the case, then I'd clean up the area with some acetone/MEK (if it's going to peel the paint off, you probably wanted it to come off anyway), and paint it back with your favorite enamel.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-14-2007, 08:30 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

POR15 Chassis black tough as nails and will stop rust. You can get a 1/2 pint probably

http://www.por15.com/ it is called chassis black

Here it is http://www.por15.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1410/.f

doesn't chip or peel real tough very little to no prep. Wire brush or wheel no grease and paint. Metal ready is good but not require if you clean it decent. I had a few things real rusty and just painted over them to see and it is 5 years of utside exposure no rust back. It is hard to even sand blast off. My friend did a battery box on a restoration and had a run so he wanted to remove it all and it was tough. Wear gloves it doesn't come off skin until it wears off!

Last edited by John Shiels; 05-14-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:30 PM
R Mackow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't over fill the reservior. Keep the level down to the horizontal seam. Also, I have to replaced the cap with a new GM cap due to leakage under somewhat benene conditions. No, the Auto Zone replacement rubber gasket didn't work, but they sure look like the GM.
The ATE cans make it easy to add fluid because they don't plop and splash fluid. Is plop a technical term?
Old 05-16-2007, 08:58 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys. It definitely wasn't overfilled, I think using the motive (which screws on very tight) may have scarred the plastic a bit, the stock cap doesn't seal so hot anymore. I'll have to figure something out.

John, thanks for the pointer, I will get some of that stuff!

Cheers!
Jon
Old 05-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Red Gump
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be more concerned about the fire hazard than the paint. had my clutch bleeder leak once and dripped onto the headers, glad I carry a fire extinguisher!
Old 05-16-2007, 02:48 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Red Gump
I'd be more concerned about the fire hazard than the paint. had my clutch bleeder leak once and dripped onto the headers, glad I carry a fire extinguisher!
Yeah, I carry one too, and I am concerned. Fixing it was a given Once fixed I want to repaint the frame for corrosion protection.

Get notified of new replies

To Damn brake fluid ( + paint = blech)

Quick Reply: Damn brake fluid ( + paint = blech)