Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 track car battery recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 03:58 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C4 track car battery recomendations?

For 1994 12:1 compression 383 LT1 track only C4.

Looking for something powerful enough to crank it, small enough to fit in the cubby hole behind the pass seat, and as light as possible.

What do you suggest?

Any C4 guys with their batter mounted in that hole, and have any pics?

Old 05-13-2007, 05:45 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

With a good gear-reduction starter and short cables, you should be able to get by with a very small-capacity 12v battery. Gear reduction starters typically take less current to run them compared to a stock-type starter. They usually generate more than enough torque to spin high-compression motors.

That assumes that the engine is tuned to where is will easily start when cold or hot. As long as you are not running a lot of electrical accessories, the alternator should easily keep the battery fully charged during a race.

A Group 26 battery is 8 3/16" long x 6 13/16" wide x 7 3/4" high. Will that size fit in the compartment? Here'a s BCI battery group size chart: http://www.rtpnet.org/~teaa/bcigroup.html

If you go with a typical lead-acid battery, make sure the compartment is sealed andr that the battery is vented to the outside. AGM batteries should not need venting but they should be in a case.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That is an Odyssey PC680 dry cell mounted on it's side. Stock compression LT4 with stock starter. No starting problems, even when hot (or cold). Been using it for about 6 months, in 30 degree weather and 90 degree track days with zero problems. Got mine on ebay for about $95 shipped. Weight is about 15 lbs.

I used some rubber matting to build up the bottom of the compartment due to the rib running down the middle.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:06 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
With a good gear-reduction starter and short cables, you should be able to get by with a very small-capacity 12v battery. Gear reduction starters typically take less current to run them compared to a stock-type starter. They usually generate more than enough torque to spin high-compression motors.

That assumes that the engine is tuned to where is will easily start when cold or hot. As long as you are not running a lot of electrical accessories, the alternator should easily keep the battery fully charged during a race.

A Group 26 battery is 8 3/16" long x 6 13/16" wide x 7 3/4" high. Will that size fit in the compartment? Here'a s BCI battery group size chart: http://www.rtpnet.org/~teaa/bcigroup.html

If you go with a typical lead-acid battery, make sure the compartment is sealed andr that the battery is vented to the outside. AGM batteries should not need venting but they should be in a case.
Good info. I plan to use the stock Nippondenso starter. I also plan to use some type of sealed/dry battery so I don't have to vent or enclose it.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:07 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mojave
That is an Odyssey PC680 dry cell mounted on it's side. Stock compression LT4 with stock starter. No starting problems, even when hot (or cold). Been using it for about 6 months, in 30 degree weather and 90 degree track days with zero problems. Got mine on ebay for about $95 shipped. Weight is about 15 lbs.

I used some rubber matting to build up the bottom of the compartment due to the rib running down the middle.
Awesome! Any idea what the cranking amps on that little thing are? That's exactly what I am looking for if it's powerful enough to crank her.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:37 AM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBRA
Awesome! Any idea what the cranking amps on that little thing are? That's exactly what I am looking for if it's powerful enough to crank her.
I'm not sure what it is rated at, but it turns my motor over pretty quickly. It is pretty stout for its size.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:10 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBRA
For 1994 12:1 compression 383 LT1 track only C4.
Looking for something powerful enough to crank it, small enough to fit in the cubby hole behind the pass seat, and as light as possible.
What do you suggest?
Any C4 guys with their batter mounted in that hole, and have any pics?
I use the Optima in the storage area. Theres a pic in my web page. I have a write-up on this that I posted in the ZR1 section.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...hlight=battery
Old 05-14-2007, 09:51 AM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ZR1 MK
I use the Optima in the storage area. Theres a pic in my web page. I have a write-up on this that I posted in the ZR1 section.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...hlight=battery
Old 05-15-2007, 08:24 AM
Bugeater
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second the Odyessey PC680 - it cranks my 488ci motor. Used it this last weekend fri/sat/sun with the only charge to it being the alternator when running on track. I think its roughly 13-14 pounds.

Alot lighter than my ex-redtop optima at 38 pounds.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:33 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Have you guys seen the battery thier putting in the back of the C6Z06, the things tiny
Old 05-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bugeater
I second the Odyessey PC680 - it cranks my 488ci motor. Used it this last weekend fri/sat/sun with the only charge to it being the alternator when running on track. I think its roughly 13-14 pounds.

Alot lighter than my ex-redtop optima at 38 pounds.
And if you're really worried about cranking amp you can go to the Odyssey PC925.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 track car battery recomendations?

Quick Reply: C4 track car battery recomendations?