Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR Kumho tire at work at VIR - 2:06

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 08:05 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LR Kumho tire at work at VIR - 2:06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tPvB4zySBw

I mounted my camera under my car while doing a few hot laps at VIR...to watch the tire work with the new Moton shocks. I uploaded it in relatively low res, but you can still see the suspension moving and tire flexing under load.

These were the only two clean laps I got all day long and they were both low 2:06s...with very old tires and brakes, and 91 degree temps. Enjoy!
Old 05-13-2007, 09:08 AM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice vid, good to see some stuff like that. What's the ka-chunk sound you hear when there is a lot of suspension travel? Sway bar?
Old 05-13-2007, 11:33 AM
99BlackZ51
Racer

How are the new Motons working out? Were you able to get that second that you were looking for? Just wondering if it is worth the time and expense.

Scott
Old 05-13-2007, 12:21 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How in the heck did you mount the camera under there!!!! LOL

Joe
Old 05-13-2007, 12:40 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

That "ka-chunk" sound you hear is the VIR lap record falling every time I go out there!! ha ha No, actually, it's the backpressure from the engine. Since we were allowed to remove the cats, there's an exhaust pop when you let off the gas. No big deal though.

I mounted it about where the rear muffler vents are (inside) - at the point where the bodywork starts to curve up to give the exhaust tips clearance. I also mounted a camera on the front of the car...but, uh, it didn't make it.

I like the adjustability of the Motons and they are probably faster...just not sure yet. My crew chief Butch likes to use the Bobby Bowden analogy when he had Deon Sanders and some other really fast cornerbacks: Somebody asked Bobby one time about those superfast backs and he said it was good and bad. "If they run the wrong way, they'll be twice as far away from the play." ha ha The Motons are the same way. They are probably faster, but you have to dial the things in correctly. If you don't, you'll definitely be slower. It's really an art! I'm getting close though.

If you don't have some really serious seat time under your belt yet, I would not recommend you get adjustable shocks....of any kind. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to figure stuff out instead of concentrating on driving and learning. This is my 18th year driving Vettes in "anger" and I finally felt I could benefit from them...maybe. Butch and I are working on a shock chart to help with handling issues... a "what to do if" type of chart. We both looked out there for quite a while and never really found one. Necessity is the mother of invention!

Last edited by wtknght1; 05-13-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:14 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Old 05-13-2007, 08:16 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I put coilovers with 700-750lb springs on my car and I don't know about improvement in lap times but I know I gained 10-15 mph through the uphill esses. It's amazing what a difference an upgraded suspension makes in these cars. My shocks are adjustable but I had MTI set them and I don't mess with them.

My setup is probably a bit too stiff for everyday driving on the road for most people (I laugh when some complain their stock Z06 suspension is too rough) though I put up with it as it doesn't bother me too much but on the track the car comes alive. People who ride with me are amazed at the obscene amount of grip the car generates. It's killer!
Old 05-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Chris for the unique view of "getting around VIR". From the sound and the tire flexing, I can actually visualize where you are on the track, although you're at all these various places on the track for a lot less time that I'm there. Those old tires appear to have plenty of grip left in them. What kind of hot pressures were you running for these 2:06 laps?

Jim
Old 05-14-2007, 01:07 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Yeah, that particular tire you're looking at was on its 11th heat cycle...and the rest were between 10 and 14. Awesome tires! Since I was only able to get a couple of clean laps, I didn't stay out there long enough to develop any serious heat in the tire (despite the high ambient temps), so my hot pressures were between 32 (for the LF) and 22 (for the RR).

I start with really low pressures now and not too concerned about the hot pressures...as long as the temperature spread across the tire is good. The LF tire had a high temp of 210 and the high temp on the RR was about 190. Over the past year or so, I've slowly reduced the tire pressures to where the temp numbers are nice and consistent...not too high or too low.

With 'sticker' tires, I'm going to be really disappointed if I can get into the low to mid 2:04s this year.

Get notified of new replies

To LR Kumho tire at work at VIR - 2:06

Quick Reply: LR Kumho tire at work at VIR - 2:06