Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 04:33 AM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 110 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Trailer Question

I am looking at buying a used Haulmark trailer to tow my Z06.
The trailer is much longer than I might need, but I am also considering a dedicated track car in the near future and may need the room for spare wheels, parts, tools, etc.

The HAULMARK trailer was built in 2005. Looks to be in mint condition. Triple 5200lb axles - 15K gross weight
28'long 8.5' wide
D rings for tie downs
includes a winch and many other extras

Towing with a 2005 3/4 ton Dodge Cummings

Any thoughts(good or bad) about a 2005 Haulmark trailer. This is their 'Race Trailer' model#RT85X28WR3. Any body know of any issues I should be concerned with on this trailer?

Any advice with regards to towing will be appreciated too. I am considering buying a Eaz-Lift equalizer. Is it necessary?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Old 05-13-2007, 05:50 AM
jdonnelly
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom:

The trailer should be fine. Hubs,brakes and tires as well as the wireing should be checked. You will also want to add the trailer weight your car,tools tires,gas cans... to get to your gross weight. A weight distribution hitch and anti sway bars will help with pulling.

With your truck and the tripple axle you should be in really good shape. If you load the vette over the axles you will need ramps in the trailer or you will be crawling in and out the open drivers window. You will also need to put all your gear up front to get weight on the tongue. A winch is a good investment. I like the Superwinch S5000 with the wireless remote. I found the best price through Amazon. Good luck.

Jeff

http://www.amazon.com/Superwinch-145...9049624&sr=8-5
Old 05-13-2007, 09:50 AM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I bought that same winch have it mounted for quick removal on my trailer, and it comes with a 20ft corded remote. For a tow vehicle I bought an 06 Dodge 1500 4x4 slt crew cab 8ft bed with the 5.7muti displacement. so far have gone to Limerock(steep inclines), and Watkins Glen(steeper inclines) and the truck has performed flawlessly towing the car/trailer and track gear.(4 rain/street tires, propane grill, rotors, tools jack,pads, oil etc..) In comparison to the group I go with, my trcuk has the best mpg avg @ 14. I don't have the weight distribution hitch/bars, but they can only help.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

What is the gross vehicle towing capacity of your truck?

My 1500 is 13,000 but it is not a disel either. A 28' triple axle with 15k capacity is a pretty stout trailer and probably weighs in the 5k range. There should be a plate near the tounge that shows capacity and possibly weight.

My 1500 weighs about 5,800, the trailer 3,100, the car 3,300 and stuff about 300. This puts me just shy of the capacity

do the math and make sure the combination isn't going to put your 3/4 ton over its rated towing capacity.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:57 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

i would have the trailer inspected for safety. Have the hubs and brakes checked to make sure they are in good shape. How are the tires?? Trailer tires should be replaced every 5 years regardless of tread remaining.

Does your truck have a factory towing package? Typical factory tow packages will have a tranny cooler, larger radiator, big battery and alternator, and wiring for a 7-pin trailer harness. There should be a connector for a trailer brake controller.

In any event, have a large tranny cooler installed (assuming you have an auto trans). IMHO, the tranny in the Dodge when used for heavy towing is suspect compared to Fords and GM so have a fluid flush done at the same time you install a larger cooler. Don't tow in OD.

Get a good trailer brake controller. I use a Tekonsha Prodigy contoller for my trailer. Plug and play design and you can get a custom connecting harness for your specific truck so you don't have to cut wires. I would add either helper/overload springs or a set of airbags. Your truck tires should be LT rated and Load Range E to handle the weight at the rear (including the tongue weight).

You will need a Class 5 hitch and definitely get a weight distributing (equalizer) setup. Add an anti-sway bar to the tongue as a trailer that long will want to move around in cross winds or when getting passed by big trucks.

Remember to calculate the total cargo load in the truck when you figure out the gross vehicle weight. Adding friends, the kids, dog, wife, coolers, luggange, and whatever into the truck will add to the weight total real quick.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Originally Posted by jdonnelly
Tom:

The trailer should be fine. Hubs,brakes and tires as well as the wireing should be checked. You will also want to add the trailer weight your car,tools tires,gas cans... to get to your gross weight. A weight distribution hitch and anti sway bars will help with pulling.

With your truck and the tripple axle you should be in really good shape. If you load the vette over the axles you will need ramps in the trailer or you will be crawling in and out the open drivers window. You will also need to put all your gear up front to get weight on the tongue. A winch is a good investment. I like the Superwinch S5000 with the wireless remote. I found the best price through Amazon. Good luck.

Jeff

http://www.amazon.com/Superwinch-145...9049624&sr=8-5

Jeff,

The trailer has a winch, but I'm not sure which one. Climbing out the window is not what I want to do. 6'2" and bad knees would make it very difficult. That is why I want the winch. I hope that I can just drine the car onto the ramp and then winch it in.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tom
Old 05-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
I bought that same winch have it mounted for quick removal on my trailer, and it comes with a 20ft corded remote. For a tow vehicle I bought an 06 Dodge 1500 4x4 slt crew cab 8ft bed with the 5.7muti displacement. so far have gone to Limerock(steep inclines), and Watkins Glen(steeper inclines) and the truck has performed flawlessly towing the car/trailer and track gear.(4 rain/street tires, propane grill, rotors, tools jack,pads, oil etc..) In comparison to the group I go with, my trcuk has the best mpg avg @ 14. I don't have the weight distribution hitch/bars, but they can only help.
I guess if the 1500 can handle the trailer, then I should be good with my 2500 and Cummings. 14MPG - is that while towing. That is extremely good. I get about 15-16MPG when the truck is empty.

Limerock is one of my favorite tracks. I ran a couple of race seasons with Skip Barber 10-1 years ago. I sure do miss that place.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tom
Old 05-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
What is the gross vehicle towing capacity of your truck?

My 1500 is 13,000 but it is not a disel either. A 28' triple axle with 15k capacity is a pretty stout trailer and probably weighs in the 5k range. There should be a plate near the tounge that shows capacity and possibly weight.

My 1500 weighs about 5,800, the trailer 3,100, the car 3,300 and stuff about 300. This puts me just shy of the capacity

do the math and make sure the combination isn't going to put your 3/4 ton over its rated towing capacity.
Gary,

The trailer is rated at 15K. Empty, the trailer is just over 5k. As far as the trailer goes, I have way more capacity than I need, The heaviest vehicle I will carry is my Z06. If I use your figures above with my trailer, I should end up with about 9200lbs for the trailer, and he truck must be about 6500ilbs. That would put me around 16K gross. My GCWR is 20K, so I should be good with that.

Thanks for making me go thru this exercise. Rather than assuming I'm okay with the weight, it made me, as you said, "do the math"

Tom
Old 05-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
i would have the trailer inspected for safety. Have the hubs and brakes checked to make sure they are in good shape. How are the tires?? Trailer tires should be replaced every 5 years regardless of tread remaining.

Does your truck have a factory towing package? Typical factory tow packages will have a tranny cooler, larger radiator, big battery and alternator, and wiring for a 7-pin trailer harness. There should be a connector for a trailer brake controller.

In any event, have a large tranny cooler installed (assuming you have an auto trans). IMHO, the tranny in the Dodge when used for heavy towing is suspect compared to Fords and GM so have a fluid flush done at the same time you install a larger cooler. Don't tow in OD.

Get a good trailer brake controller. I use a Tekonsha Prodigy contoller for my trailer. Plug and play design and you can get a custom connecting harness for your specific truck so you don't have to cut wires. I would add either helper/overload springs or a set of airbags. Your truck tires should be LT rated and Load Range E to handle the weight at the rear (including the tongue weight).

You will need a Class 5 hitch and definitely get a weight distributing (equalizer) setup. Add an anti-sway bar to the tongue as a trailer that long will want to move around in cross winds or when getting passed by big trucks.

Remember to calculate the total cargo load in the truck when you figure out the gross vehicle weight. Adding friends, the kids, dog, wife, coolers, luggange, and whatever into the truck will add to the weight total real quick.
c4cruiser, you raise a lot of good questions and made me look at it little closer.

The trailer is 1.5 years old. Had very limited use(about 1500 miles). Owner was as **** about hi trailer as some of us are about our vettes

My truck did come with the factory towing package, and has a Tekonsha Voyager controller. Also comes has a gooseneck in the bed and wiring to both places-7 pin connector. Trailer has the same.
GCWR of the truck is 20K

Tires on the truck are new and Load Range E

I will get the weight distribution hitch. I'm on the fence with regards to the anti-sway. I have heard that they sometimes make it difficult to make tight turns. From some other people I spoke to, they said that the triple axle should help eliminate some of the sway and bounce. I may wait and se how it handles before adding it.

Thanks for bringing up these very important items to consider.

Tom
Old 05-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Default Any HAULMARK TRAILER Comments

Looks like I have the truck to handle the trailer.

Anyone have experience with 2005 (or there about) HAULMARK Trailers?

Am I going way to big on the trailer?

I appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 05-13-2007, 03:19 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If you do a search on "trailer" or "enclosed trailer" in this section, you will find some good arguments about going with longer trailers especially in the 24 to 28 foot range.

One of the nice things about a long trailer is that you will have lots of room up front even with the car inside. This allows for a workbench, cabinets, storage racks, extra tires, and whatever. You could even use the space for a cot for overnight events where you didn't want to go back and forth to motels.

One thing you might add to the trailer is a roll-up awning on the side. RV shops have them and if you get one about 15 feet long, it can provide shade or cover for the car or tables and chairs for relaxing. If you are in hot weather areas, consider a roof-top A/C unit or at least a couple of fans.

Get a generator to have 120V power at the track. Beats relying on the 12v internal system or from the truck. Honda has some nice quiet ones that will provide enough power for TV's, power tools, and such.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:35 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when you buy a trailer that has a GVW of over 9999 you are in a whole new ball of wax with DOT, FET and HUT in New York State. It will go by what the trailer is rated for not what you register it as. This is NY but it probably is the same most everywhere.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:50 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 24' Optima. Just personal opinion but i don't think I'd get a 28'. 24' is plenty big enough and enough of a challenge on the road. Keep looking for a nice 24' unless you need to carry tons of extra stuff to the track. My 24' has plenty of space for "accessories"!
Old 05-13-2007, 11:19 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a 28' Pace and I'm glad I got the bigger size. With the car in the trailer, I can still use my work bench and I have room for tires, bikes, tool boxes and other junk. I can still get into the work bench with the trailer fully loaded. The extra 4', over the 24', was money well spent in my book. Some will say 28' is too big, but not for me.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:05 AM
Z Fast
Drifting

Originally Posted by John Shiels
when you buy a trailer that has a GVW of over 9999 you are in a whole new ball of wax with DOT, FET and HUT in New York State. It will go by what the trailer is rated for not what you register it as. This is NY but it probably is the same most everywhere.
John,

You make a good point. I don't think I have to worry about that in Oregon. I new there was a good reason why I left 10 years ago. NY has it issues, but there is a lot of things I miss I never thought I would.

Tom
Old 05-14-2007, 01:07 AM
Z Fast
Drifting

Originally Posted by jrz1
I have a 24' Optima. Just personal opinion but i don't think I'd get a 28'. 24' is plenty big enough and enough of a challenge on the road. Keep looking for a nice 24' unless you need to carry tons of extra stuff to the track. My 24' has plenty of space for "accessories"!
I hear what your saying, but I have cabinets and en extra work bench. I think the extra space might come in handy.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:08 AM
Z Fast
Drifting

Originally Posted by FastZR1
I have a 28' Pace and I'm glad I got the bigger size. With the car in the trailer, I can still use my work bench and I have room for tires, bikes, tool boxes and other junk. I can still get into the work bench with the trailer fully loaded. The extra 4', over the 24', was money well spent in my book. Some will say 28' is too big, but not for me.
Hey FastZR1,

You confirmed what I was thinking. It's good to see I'm not way out there. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer Question

Old 05-14-2007, 08:23 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

with your Dodge 3/4 ton you will be fine pulling the 28 footer. and Yes that little extra space is great for things / junk / or just waiting out the rain to stop while the car is still loaded.

I have a 24 footer, and it is just enough. My buddies 28 has that extra room.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:27 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Z Fast
John,

You make a good point. I don't think I have to worry about that in Oregon. I new there was a good reason why I left 10 years ago. NY has it issues, but there is a lot of things I miss I never thought I would.

Tom
better check that's why all the trailers even dual carriers are listed as 9,999
Old 05-14-2007, 09:34 AM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Z Fast
I guess if the 1500 can handle the trailer, then I should be good with my 2500 and Cummings. 14MPG - is that while towing. That is extremely good. I get about 15-16MPG when the truck is empty.

Limerock is one of my favorite tracks. I ran a couple of race seasons with Skip Barber 10-1 years ago. I sure do miss that place.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tom
That mpg was while towing. Factory tow package, seperate trans cooler, heavy alt etc... I've been running 1500/2500 B series dodge truck/vans since 1987 for my business without fail. got rid of my 92 with 487k miles on it, rebuilt trans and two sets of u joints. My employees routinley overload them. yours should be fine.

Quick Reply: Trailer Question