Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple of pics from the weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:44 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A couple of pics from the weekend...

A little too tight on my line here:

This was a long, decreasing radius sweeper. It was key to stay very tight on the exit since the next gate forced you left. I probably should have been out about half a car-width and made more of a late-apex out of it (I did in other laps).

Ready to rock:

Gettin' mah lean on even w/ the 38mm T1 front bar:

I'd actually like thoughts on this pic (and the 1st), you can compare to static ride-height in the 2nd pic. FWIW this pic follows the 1st pic, just after apexing the car and as I'm getting back into the throttle heavy. It really doesn't look like I get too much compresion on the outside. Looking at the static pic wheel-gaps seem about the same, but I wonder if I'm bottoming out the stock length shocks on the outside corner? I am un-weighting the inside front a good bit: too much bar front bar/not enough spring?

-TJ
Old 05-09-2007, 07:14 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

bars only can do so much. First and last time I went auto-x I got lost so many cones and plenty were down when I started. I felt like a idiot lost. May be if they number them for me
Old 05-09-2007, 07:40 PM
B-rent
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by John Shiels
bars only can do so much. First and last time I went auto-x I got lost so many cones and plenty were down when I started. I felt like a idiot lost. May be if they number them for me
thats gonna be me
Old 05-11-2007, 06:04 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

No thoughts on the suspension setup? I think running no back sway is letting the back outside corner drop enough that the front inside starts to lift (with the giant T1 front bar adding to the cross-lift). But the Catch 22 is that any back bar makes the car very twitch in transition (and everything is a transition in AX) and a hair loose mid-turn to exit (a LOT loose if I put the T1 back bar on. So I think maybe the answer is a bit more rear toe-in to allow for at least some back bar, stiffer springs to reduce roll in general, and shocks matched to the springs. But that's a lot to change at once... I could end up going the wrong way on the whole setup. That's why I lean towards coil-overs though so they're adjustable and easy to change spring rate.

-TJ
Old 05-11-2007, 06:22 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
John that is not a 4" splitter you have. it s 4" cone mover
Old 05-11-2007, 06:38 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

You probably are getting into the bumpstops on the outside rear shock, probably causing some of that oversteer. The bumpstops are progressive, but do start kicking in early on stock length shocks.

In my experience, T1 bars front and rear on stock Z06 springs give the car a moderate push at autocross speeds. This was even with equal sized tires front and rear (315/17)

Try for around 1/4" toe in in the rear to help reduce power oversteer, and maybe raise the car 1/2". Also, rear pressures should be in the mid 20lb range with your wheel setup (hoosier or kumho) to get some bite back there.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:41 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tjZ06
I think running no back sway is letting the back outside corner drop enough that the front inside starts to lift (with the giant T1 front bar adding to the cross-lift).
-TJ
You're not running any rear bar with a T1 in the front??
Old 05-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Are those fully annodized classics? Any pics?
Old 05-12-2007, 12:11 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by XPC5R
You probably are getting into the bumpstops on the outside rear shock, probably causing some of that oversteer. The bumpstops are progressive, but do start kicking in early on stock length shocks.

In my experience, T1 bars front and rear on stock Z06 springs give the car a moderate push at autocross speeds. This was even with equal sized tires front and rear (315/17)

Try for around 1/4" toe in in the rear to help reduce power oversteer, and maybe raise the car 1/2". Also, rear pressures should be in the mid 20lb range with your wheel setup (hoosier or kumho) to get some bite back there.
I probably am bottoming out the shocks... I need to check on that. With the stock Z0 springs, '04 Z0 shocks and both T1 bars (on 315 & 335 tires) it had tons of oversteer and was very snappy at the limit.

Originally Posted by TedDBere
You're not running any rear bar with a T1 in the front??
Correct. Believe it or not it's a common setup. The SS class guys that like to skirt the rules a bit run no back bar since the rules are writen you can't take it off... but if it breaks you don't have to replace it (or so I'm told) and run larger front bars (since they're open).

On the road course it's very unbalanced. Both T1s on work great for road course (go figure, that's what they were developed for). AutoX it just makes the back of the car go everywhere.

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Are those fully annodized classics? Any pics?
Nah, they're just rattle-canned outters. I'm tempted to have the outters annodized though.

-TJ
Old 05-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Oh... a local buddy of mine had a set on his Nissan 240 done in full annodize from CCW.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:35 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Old 05-21-2007, 03:36 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Old 05-21-2007, 03:37 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Old 05-21-2007, 03:40 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Some shots from yesterday. This was a slower speed AutoX than I usually attend, on some pretty slick asphalt. Even still you can see the body movement.

-TJ
Old 05-21-2007, 05:53 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by XPC5R

My experience was just the opposite. When I went square 315's and T1 bars Front and Rear (albiet on T1 springs not Z springs and Bilstien sports) the butt was nearly uncontrolable. No actually was was completely uncontrolable. I unhooked the rear bar and it was better but still not neutral. It's perfect with a nice stagger and both bars on. and as you narrow the fronts it induces understeer more with each tire size drop.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:29 PM
brenb
Instructor

Does the host club line the lot/poles with tires?
Old 05-21-2007, 09:28 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by brenb
Does the host club line the lot/poles with tires?
Haha. The event is a once a year event (the Duel at DeAnza) to benefit the Auto Tech program at a local community college. The lot leaves a lot to be desired, but you work with what you have. They put the tires around the light-poles, curbs/berms at the ends of the lot, and other obstructions.

-TJ
Old 05-21-2007, 10:16 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

The tires look a little fat for the rim.

What size tire/rims do you have?

Of course, if they're working for you, who cares!
Old 05-22-2007, 02:30 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
The tires look a little fat for the rim.

What size tire/rims do you have?

Of course, if they're working for you, who cares!
315/30-18 Hoosier A6 on a 18x11 front and 335/30-18 Hoosier A6 on a 18x12 rear.

-TJ

Get notified of new replies

To A couple of pics from the weekend...

Quick Reply: A couple of pics from the weekend...