Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this bolt on or does it have to be welded?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Black C5 Z06
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is this bolt on or does it have to be welded?

Brey Krause R1115 Harness Mount Bar for C5 and Z06 Corvette
as well as the lap mount bar
Thanks
Old 05-07-2007, 05:04 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

It's a bolt on. No cutting or welding. The bar mounts with the screws that mount your factory seat belt harness. The down bars bolt in the rear bolts that hold your seat in place. The lap and sub strap belts bolt onto their seatbelt kit. It also bolts in.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:34 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto. I have it in my Z06. Definitely a bolt-in. Installed it myself, it's rather easy to do. Same with the seat belt mounts, though they take a bit more effort than the bar.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:51 PM
Black C5 Z06
Drifting

So is this worth it?
Does it do any good?
Or is it a waste on a car that sees the track maybe three times a year max?
Should I just stick with the regular seat belts?
Can I just wrap the shoulder straps around the top of my Z06 seats for a little while 'til I save up more money for Sport Seats?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:29 PM
B-rent
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Black C5 Z06
So is this worth it?
Does it do any good?
Or is it a waste on a car that sees the track maybe three times a year max?
Should I just stick with the regular seat belts?
Can I just wrap the shoulder straps around the top of my Z06 seats for a little while 'til I save up more money for Sport Seats?
I use my 5points every day around town I feel ALOT safer, get alot of positive comments, and it looks bad ***
Old 05-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by B-rent
I use my 5points every day around town
Is that DOT approved?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:36 PM
B-rent
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Falcon
Is that DOT approved?
Im actually not sure and have been curious about that. Its some approval on it, i forget what from what national safety board. Ive been along side, passed, ect but TONS of local, state, sheriff, ect and never had any trouble. Ive also gotten a speeding ticket while wearing them and pulled over another time and neither cop said anything about it.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Black C5 Z06
Drifting

Originally Posted by B-rent
Im actually not sure and have been curious about that. Its some approval on it, i forget what from what national safety board. Ive been along side, passed, ect but TONS of local, state, sheriff, ect and never had any trouble. Ive also gotten a speeding ticket while wearing them and pulled over another time and neither cop said anything about it.
Alrighty, well see, that's what I want to do, use them everyday.
I didn't want to say that because I know when I asked on another board I caught a lot of flak and never got my question answered.
I want those belts that you sit on that keep you from sliding down in the seat. And the shoulder straps, and all that jazz.
But I want bolt-on, like the Brey Krause harness and lap belt bars.
So, Simpson harnesses? If so, which one(s)?
Thanks
Old 05-08-2007, 12:25 AM
Black C5 Z06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Black C5 Z06
Alrighty, well see, that's what I want to do, use them everyday.
I didn't want to say that because I know when I asked on another board I caught a lot of flak and never got my question answered.
I want those belts that you sit on that keep you from sliding down in the seat. And the shoulder straps, and all that jazz.
But I want bolt-on, like the Brey Krause harness and lap belt bars.
So, Simpson harnesses? If so, which one(s)?
Thanks
TTT
Any replies for this last question?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:10 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

If you are sliding around on the seat a lot, and you are not tracking your car, you really need to slow down.

That being said, B-K and Hardbar make bolt in harness bars. The people that sell them can probably recommend a bar/harness package. Check with vendors on left.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:14 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You will probably find that nearly all race harnesses are not DOT approved and therefore would probably be illegal for street use. If you look at the certification tab sewen into the belts, there will usually be no montion of DOT approval or possibly a statement that says they are not DOT-certified.

Here in WA, a race-type aftermarket harness is not legal for street use. Only the OEM belts using the correct attaching points are considered legal.

Best thing to do is to check your states laws regarding the use of aftermarket race harnesses for street use.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:51 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most racing harnesses are NOT DOT approved for street use and should not be used anywhere but on the track.

If all you are worried about is sliding around in the seat, learn to use the stock seat belts. The lap belt can be locked down by pulling it all the way out and then letting it run back in and snugging it down tight. It will ratchet and stay tight until you release it an let it retract all the way. It would be nice if the shoulder harness did the same, but it doesn't, at least on my car.

If you don't have seats with holes for the shoulder straps, using a 5 or 6 point racing harness is not a good idea with stock Z06 seats. Existing Z06 seats can be modified to allow the belts to pass through, or buy sport seats or a real racing seat. There are plenty of seat alternatives out there. Using the stock seat and bringing the straps around puts them too far to the outside and they can slip off your shoulders, or in a crash can snap your collar bones if too far to the sides. Even with a sternum strap, the shoulder belts end up too far apart. If you want to use a racing harness, get a proper seat. To me, this goes in the category with cheap helmets -- how much is your life worth? If you're going to do it, do it right. Otherwise, rely on the stock seat belts; you'll be better off than using an improperly installed safety harness.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
If all you are worried about is sliding around in the seat, learn to use the stock seat belts. The lap belt can be locked down by pulling it all the way out and then letting it run back in and snugging it down tight. It will ratchet and stay tight until you release it an let it retract all the way. It would be nice if the shoulder harness did the same, but it doesn't, at least on my car.
The shoulder belt on my 97 and my 03Z both locked. It took a quick move of the car to get them to lock but they did lock. All it took was a very quick acceleration in low gear (without spinning the tires) and they cinched and stayed that way until I released them.

Bill
Old 05-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Black C5 Z06
Drifting

Thanks for the responses guys.
I'm not worried about it being DOT approved. Frankly, I don't care. Cops around here don't enforce laws like that, as well as exhaust level, etc.
Plus, I really want them for the mountains

I'm really glad someone told me about what will happen if I use the stock Z seats, I figured it wouldn't be good, but that's exactly the kind of response I was looking for
Old 05-08-2007, 05:15 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

I've used them for HPDE and AX with the stock Z06 seat. The argument is during an impact that they will slide off your shoulders due to the angle they are crossing them. That's why you want pass-thru holes in the seat like the sports seats. Or go to an aftermarket seat with better bolstering. The stock Z06 seats sux for any kind of lateral support.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Black C5 Z06
Drifting

Originally Posted by vms4evr
I've used them for HPDE and AX with the stock Z06 seat. The argument is during an impact that they will slide off your shoulders due to the angle they are crossing them. That's why you want pass-thru holes in the seat like the sports seats. Or go to an aftermarket seat with better bolstering. The stock Z06 seats sux for any kind of lateral support.
So could I get some harnesses. Then a while later just get some sport seats?
That would work for a few months wouldn't it?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:28 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

I ran my stock Z06 seats with a harness bar and 6 points for a year for AX. Then did a few HPDE weekends. Then I just got a Corbeau race seat with mounting bracket. Come track weekend I just swap the seats. It takes about 15 minutes.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this bolt on or does it have to be welded?

Old 05-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by vms4evr
I ran my stock Z06 seats with a harness bar and 6 points for a year for AX. Then did a few HPDE weekends. Then I just got a Corbeau race seat with mounting bracket. Come track weekend I just swap the seats. It takes about 15 minutes.

That is the best option out there. Swap in race style seats for the autox or HPDEs and use the stock seats for normal everyday driving.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Black C5 Z06
Drifting

What's the difference between cam lock and latch? I mean, I know they snap together diff. but what's the big deal about cam lock? Why's it better?
Old 05-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Miguels
Melting Slicks

cam lock is snap snap snap snap while latch is feed thru feed thru feedthru feed thru.

Just make sure that the cam lock latches. (click and tug)

Quick Reply: Is this bolt on or does it have to be welded?