Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear sway bar pops!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rear sway bar pops!

I have a poping noise from the rear and I have isolated it to the sway bar. If I jack up one front side of the car it will pop. If I jack up the same side it won't do it again. However if I jack up the other front side it will pop again. I can repeat the process over and over. I have held onto the sway bar while someone else jacks and I can feel the vibration when it pops. I also disconnected one end link and repeated the process and it doesn't pop. As soon as I reconnect the end link it will pop again.

I assumed it was sticking/binding on the bushings so I took them off and put a little grease on the inside of the bushing....no change.

Ideas? Car has 18K on it with less than a dozen track weekends.

The only time I hear it while driving is when I am going in a driveway or somewhere where a front corner of the car elevates before the rest of the car.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:51 AM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I upgraded my '00 coupe w/ Z06 sway bars, I had a similar popping noise, as well as some groaning and creaking. I solved the latter with a liberal application of white lithium grease on the rubber mounts. The former turned out to be one side's end link not being fully tightened, and it was slipping and popping when the force/tension on it changed. I realized that there was actually more tightening to do by using an open wrench on the small, flat-edged washer on the opposite side of the sway bar end from the end-link nut.

Don't know if this helps any, but you might check that just to make sure...

Fred
Old 05-03-2007, 01:03 AM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had same problem front and rear. Upgraded Z06 to T1's . Had to double bolt the links and use lock tite, front and rear. That helped. The rears still hit the muffler, so I bang the muffler away when ever I get to it.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:38 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Check the torque on the end links; that's the most likely culprit.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What should the torque be? How do you set it while holding the center with an allen wrench?
Old 05-03-2007, 05:09 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

IIRC, torque is 53 ft-lb. Once you get the nut snubbed down with a wrench you no longer need to secure the center.

Besides, if you are using the aluminum end links, there is a flat for an open end wrench on the link side of the stud.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Rear sway bar pops!

Quick Reply: Rear sway bar pops!