Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering and uneven ride height - C5

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 12:23 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default Lowering and uneven ride height - C5

Last year I broke my rear spring on the C5 from the heat from cutouts at the track.

I replaced the spring, had the ride height adjusted, and aligned.

Put it away for the winter and now the car is sitting about 5/8" higher on the driver side.

I pulled the wheels and checked the shocks and the rear spring. All in good condition with no problems.

I wanted to set the ride height again and I did a search. Some people say count the threads and others have said measure from a specific spot on the frame. Problem is during the search I could not find where on the frame you are supposed to measure from.

My garage is hardly level so I'm taking it to a place with a 4 post and we'll do it in the air.

I know there are a lot of feelings about lowering cars here for track events but as bad as it sounds, I prefer the look of a lowered car than the 4x4 look of stock. What rake angle should I be looking at? I don't know if the passenger or drivers side is right so I'll double check the angle also.

I don't know if it settled over the winter or what caused the difference in ride height. As always I know I'll get a better answer here than elsewhere.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2007, 05:04 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How can you do it on a lift with the suspension unloaded? You want 1/2" rake measured from behind the front wheel on the frame and in front of the rear wheels on the frame. Everytime you jack it to adjust it you need to roll it to settle it and bounce it. If your floor is out of wack how can you measure it and know it not right?

We all don't have a steel surface plate but the concrete needs to be straight not level. You can buy a cheap 6' level and use it for a staight edge.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:05 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

John,

4 post lift which are generally drive ons.

The floor is not flat enough for me to be accurate but its flat enough to see something is wrong. Its consistent on even flat surfaces.

For the frame measurement just to be sure that should be in line with the jacking puck holes, correct?

Thanks,
Old 04-29-2007, 06:09 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you will still need to settle the suspension. I guess you may adjust it without jacking it on a lift?

Get notified of new replies

To Lowering and uneven ride height - C5

Quick Reply: Lowering and uneven ride height - C5