Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended Brake Pads for first HPDE

Old 04-27-2007, 12:01 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Recommended Brake Pads for first HPDE

This is my first time ever at an HPDE. I finally got up the courage to go. I will be at Watkins Glen 5/7 - 5/8. I have a '99 C5 with stock motor & 6spd, 3.73 rear-end, Nitto 555 tires, Pfadt Racing Sway bar, Koni FSD shocks. I am installing new NAPA rotors, DOT4 fluid but I'm not sure what pads I should install. I will be driving the car about 300 miles to and from the track for the HPDE. These pads and rotors are only for the HPDE. I have another set for daily driving. Any suggestions or opinions will be appreciated. I plan on doing about 4 or 5 more HPDE's this year if that makes a difference.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:07 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

For a FIRST DE. OEM C5 Z06 pads. Good pads and also streetable. Beyond that race pads, which I dont recomend for the first few DEs
Old 04-27-2007, 01:16 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://brakepads.wilwood.com/01-selection/index.html

BP-10 I would try.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:25 PM
earthman01
Instructor

Stick with stock pads for now. You have a lot to experience before you will notice any difference from pads. Concentrate on your driving first, equipment (except for safety gear) second.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:49 PM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

I agree with both AU N EGL and earthman01. Once you get some seat time and start developing smooth lines and more fluid footwork and shifting, then you can worry about upgrading your brake pads.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 368 Likes on 304 Posts

Do you have ducts? I found the stock pads got used up way to fast, made to much dust, and faded to fast. They were gone in a day and made the whole bottem half of the car black. Last time I was out I had Hawk HPS on and left them on, they had some fade but came back quickly with the ducts. They had good bite, low dust, and did OK for wear. I will be using just a track pad and rotor from now on, there are just to many compromises. I thought the stock pad at the track was dangerous.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

As a novice the OEM pads will do just fine. I ran my 97 at the Glen for 3 seasons without race pads. When I started running it in 97 there were no race pads only OEM pads. I was already an Advanced Driver with 5 seasons of experience so was pushing the car a lot harder than novices do. The stock pads will do fine if you start with a new set that has been burnished in for a few miles before you get on the track. If you are hard on your brakes the whole time they will taper (even race pads taper in the stock caliper) quite a bit over two days but since you are a novice I doubt you will abuse them too badly. If you start noticing the brake pedal travel increasing as the number of track sessions increases just let off the gas a second sooner and double pump the brake pedal to get it back up. I have instructed several novices with C5s and C6s and they did not have any brake problems using stock pads. They are also easy on the rotors. I went 3 seasons on the original rotors while using the stock pads.

Bill
Old 04-27-2007, 02:17 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock pads for the first one. After you get a few under your seat, and you'd notice the difference, change them out. Z06 pads are fine for your first couple of DE's, IMHO.

Some folks say that they fade. It's possible you will feel a bit, but with good DOT 4 fluid and good technique, it's not that common. Besides, you NEED to learn to deal with changing brake force and conditions. Time to start.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:24 PM
geerookie
Drifting

WOW! Thanks for all the encouragement and the advice. My plan is to take it easy and not get to overboard. I want to learn and have fun but since I'm getting new pads anyway just wanted to get a feel for how to go. Sounds like a street type pad is the best to start with. How do Hawk HPS compare to Z06 or some other?
Old 04-27-2007, 02:34 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I looked and don't see a BP-10 listed for the C5 Corvette. Just Polymatrix E and up. Would the E work about the same? Where's a good place to buy them? Price and service.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:35 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by geerookie
WOW! Thanks for all the encouragement and the advice. My plan is to take it easy and not get to overboard. I want to learn and have fun but since I'm getting new pads anyway just wanted to get a feel for how to go. Sounds like a street type pad is the best to start with. How do Hawk HPS compare to Z06 or some other?
Lots of dust with HPS on the street. I would recommend against it, unless you want to wash your front wheels every other day. I had them for a few months, but for the last year they've been my 'emergency track spare' pads. Just too much dust for driving on the street.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:55 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
Lots of dust with HPS on the street. I would recommend against it, unless you want to wash your front wheels every other day. I had them for a few months, but for the last year they've been my 'emergency track spare' pads. Just too much dust for driving on the street.
Only street driving with these pads, rotors and wheel tire combo will be to and from the track. I have a different set of wheels, tires and rotor/pads for daily driving. I'm not really worried about dust, mostly about making it through a few 2 day HPDE's without having to buy new rotors and pads.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:58 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
As a novice the OEM pads will do just fine. I ran my 97 at the Glen for 3 seasons without race pads. When I started running it in 97 there were no race pads only OEM pads. I was already an Advanced Driver with 5 seasons of experience so was pushing the car a lot harder than novices do. The stock pads will do fine if you start with a new set that has been burnished in for a few miles before you get on the track. If you are hard on your brakes the whole time they will taper (even race pads taper in the stock caliper) quite a bit over two days but since you are a novice I doubt you will abuse them too badly. If you start noticing the brake pedal travel increasing as the number of track sessions increases just let off the gas a second sooner and double pump the brake pedal to get it back up. I have instructed several novices with C5s and C6s and they did not have any brake problems using stock pads. They are also easy on the rotors. I went 3 seasons on the original rotors while using the stock pads.

Bill
Thanks for the insight. Do I need to be worried about heat build up with stock pads? This is why I was thinking about Hawk or some other brand. Mainly to handle the higher temps at the track.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:04 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,082 Likes on 655 Posts

geerookie,
we have a couple dozen sets of Wilwoods in stock at great prices if you decide to go that route, both street and track compound. Feel free to call.609-752-0321

With that being said, for your first event the stock pads should work fine for you. I would however recomend changing your brake fluid though. Again we have plenty of Wilwood fluid in stock.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:10 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
geerookie,
we have a couple dozen sets of Wilwoods in stock at great prices if you decide to go that route, both street and track compound. Feel free to call.609-752-0321

With that being said, for your first event the stock pads should work fine for you. I would however recomend changing your brake fluid though. Again we have plenty of Wilwood fluid in stock.
Thanks Doug. I'll give you a call. Are you around this Saurday..tomorrow?
Old 04-27-2007, 03:10 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
geerookie,

Thanks Doug. I'll give you a call. Are you around this Saturday..tomorrow?
Old 04-27-2007, 03:21 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

stockers can fade in one good shot. Yes you won't be flying the first time out you won't know what's coming next for 2-3 sessions. If you need pads why buy stock you probably over run them the next day your tracking. I see the BP-10 listed in the link right hand column. Even the E compound would be better than stock.

Get notified of new replies

To Recommended Brake Pads for first HPDE

Old 04-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by John Shiels
stockers can fade in one good shot. Yes you won't be flying the first time out you won't know what's coming next for 2-3 sessions. If you need pads why buy stock you probably over run them the next day your tracking. I see the BP-10 listed in the link right hand column. Even the E compound would be better than stock.
I had to leave the track after two laps in my first HPDE and let the brakes cool. It wouldn't make sense to me to buy another set of stock type pads since you are buying this set to be a track set. The stock type pads will be used up so fast it would be a waste of money. Use the cash on a pad that will last longer and work better.

I remember my first HPDE, I way over used the brakes at first. I didn't know the track and I would over brake for corners creating a lot of heat.

Last edited by Aardwolf; 04-27-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:35 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I did 150-30 mph run on stock pads once. by the time I hit 50 I was lookin to open the door and get my foot out to stop. Faded in one shot try two in a row Like labeled they are street pads and what are you capbable of on the is mild compared to track events. You can never have two much brake, especially when starting you may go to deep. Novice will usually hit the brakes even harder trying to scrub speed vs experienced person with confidence.

Strictly a track pad get H compound and swap them out after the event.

Last edited by John Shiels; 04-27-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

[QUOTE=John Shiels;1560003111]especially when starting you may go to deep. Novice will usually hit the brakes even harder trying to scrub speedQUOTE]

That describes my first HPDE, I used to much brake and in cornering bobbled the car around to much, upsetting it. Learn to be smoooooth. After a few corners I'd come in, brake, everything would feel normal but the car would not slow down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recommended Brake Pads for first HPDE