Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enclosed Car Trailer

Old 04-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Enclosed Car Trailer

I am looking to purchase my first enclosed trailer. The one I am looking at is a new Patriot 20'. Is this considered a good trailer? What should I be looking for?

Thanks, Geoff
Old 04-26-2007, 06:06 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I've never heard of them. What are the axle capacities, tire capacities etc. You want axles that are at least 5000lbs each. I'm not picking on anybody, but I've seen trailers that size with 3500lbs axles, which puts a loaded trailer dangerously close to the limit. And trust me, if you get close to the tire limit, it will seriously shorten their life span.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:14 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

link
Old 04-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Consider a few options that may make your trailer experience better.

a V-nose front will help with stability and reduce drag

a drivers escape door on the road side of the trailer.

a dove tail rear end the makes loading a lowered car much easier

check to see if some of these options come bundled together as a package.

a sway control is helpful in keeping the big box from wondering in high winds or when getting passed by vans & large vehicles.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:23 AM
danswofford
Pro

I'm looking at them too. I'm going to get a 24'. Seems like a little more room inside for tires and spares and whatnot is a good idea. I could even sleep in it at a rest stop. A trailer dealer I talked to recommended 16 inch tires rather than 15 for more load capacity. Some have really cheap luan ply on the interior siding. Look for 3/8" ply or vinyl. Led lights are good. Aluminum diamond plate on the front for rock deflection is good. Check the leading online auction site, I saw a 24' Haulmark for $5900. I've been told that Haulmark's are good.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:27 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Serval things

Trailer

axle weight
Tire capsity
electric brakes on both axles
D ring tie downs in the floor
20 foot trailers might not have the weight capsity that is need

24 footers seem to be the minium
plus 24s have room for extra stuff

Figure a 7000 lb min capsity

Tow Vehical:

What is your tow vehical
towing capsity of your vehical
GOOD electric brake controler
Good brakes
Old 04-27-2007, 08:16 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff17
I am looking to purchase my first enclosed trailer. The one I am looking at is a new Patriot 20'. Is this considered a good trailer? What should I be looking for?

Thanks, Geoff
After buying a new 24' last year I have come to the conclusion that, for hauling a vette and the little extras that you will inevitably starting loading in the trailer, you should look for atleast 24' long, v nose or some sort of wind break, atleast 8 1/2 wide, no less than two 5000lb. axles (3500's just won't cut in the long haul with extra 'stuff'), brakes on both axles and the side walk through door.

The torsion axles require ajustable tongue to evenly distribute weight between the axles (must be level front to back). Conversely, the leaf springs w/knuckle are not as choosey to trailer being level.

My mistake last year was the purchase of a new $5000 trailer with only 3500 lb axles and no wind break on the front. Otherwise, I find the trailer sufficient.

Oh yeah, the 20' leaves no room to maneuver to tie down car or store extras in the front (for the most part, anyway). And another thing, my trailer had old (new) tires. They popped, cost me another $400. Stay away from bottom priced trailers, pay a little extra and get the above mentioned extras.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:33 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I bought a 28 footer used off of the SCCA boards for $5K. It has a wind break, cabinets, work bench, spare tire in the floor, a Superwinch, and dual voltage lights so that the lights work off of the truck power or AC if available. It seems very heavy, but my old Silverado 1500 pulled it OK, although my new Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD obviously pulls it much better. I would recommend that in addition to the above excellent suggestions, go get a bottle jack for the trailer only. If you have a flat tire with the trailer with you car in it, there is no way an aluminum race jack is going to work but for $30 at Pep Boys you can get a 12 ton bottle jack that will. I went through 2 brake controllers because the original basic one I had was very annoying in low speed and stop-and-go traffic. I then went to a Tekonsha Prodigy inertial controller and it worked great. My new truck has an integral brake controller now from the factory and I used it for the first time Monday (4-23-07). I was nervous that it would not be as smooth as the Prodigy, but I was very happy how well it worked. It had plenty of power to the trailer brakes, it displayed the gain and voltage on the dashboard, and was very smooth in traffic and backing up. If you are in the market for a new truck as well, make sure you get one with the brake controller already done.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd recommend a 24'. That leaves room in the front for extra stuff.

Get some overhead shelves/cabinets to stow gear you don't want to keep unloading each week. I'd avoid a work bench with underneath cabinets since that takes up valuable floor space. You can build a work bench shelf and leave the underneath open for tire/parts stowage.

I've put etrack all around my trailer so that I have places to hook straps to hold my tool boxes and fuel jugs.

A winch is certainly nice.

Get a 48" wide side door.

Here's what I bought to raise the trailer if I have to change the tire. All you have to do is back/pull the trailer on to this and it raises the back/front tire so you can change the flat. It requires no jacking.

Here's a link describing how it works.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I just love the Forum. Thanks guys for all your suggestions. I am going with the 24 and am out the door to look at one.

Thanks Geoff

See you at the track!
Old 04-27-2007, 01:31 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

take a good look at construction of it all and the fasteners or no fasteners for the skin. 24 would be my minimum.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

I have a 22' V-nose and it is plenty. I agree that a 20'r would be tight.

I have added some Air lift to the rear of the Av since these pics were taken.

Last edited by Gary2KC5; 04-27-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
I have a 22' V-nose and it is plenty. I agree that a 20'r would be tight.

I have added some Air lift to the rear of the Av since these pics were taken.
Hey Gary, what is the HP and TQ of your truck engine? What is it's tow rating? How much does your trailer weigh? Do you have problems towing?

The trailer I looked at yesterday was very heay (4,100 lbs) and with the car, 4 mounted spares etc I am getting pushing my 8,700 tow limit.

Thanks Geoff
Old 04-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Geoff,
The HP & torque is stock for an 03' Av is 285 & 325.

the gross tow rating is 13,000#, the trailer weighs 3,100 with a max load rating of 7,000#.

The thing tows great. I have a sway control and have just added some Airlift bags for the rear springs.

Since my Z weighs about 3,300#, the Av is 5,800#, trailer 3,100# I've got just 800# before the limit, I went with a heavier load rating on the tires (i think D's instead of C's)

I never have to have my foot to the floor with the Av, like I did with the Dodge Ram I had before.

I get about 9.2 MPG towing fully loaded .

Last edited by Gary2KC5; 04-29-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
Geoff,
The HP & torque is stock for an 03' Av is 285 & 325.

the gross tow rating is 13,000#, the trailer weighs 3,100 with a max load rating of 7,000#.

The thing tows great. I have a sway control and have just added some Airlift bags for the rear springs.

Since my Z weighs about 3,300#, the Av is 5,800#, trailer 3,199# I've got just 800# before the limit, I went with a heavier load rating on the tires (i think D's instead of C's)

I never have to have my foot to the floor with the Av, like I did with the Dodge Ram I had before.

I get about 9.2 MPG towing fully loaded .
Thanks Gary, very useful info. I think I am okay then with a 24" trailer but I need to get one not so "tricked out" as the one I was looking at (it was 1 year old but was the "show trailer" with a very heavy but nice interior etc).

Thanks again, Geoff
Old 05-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Cbntmn
Racer

Originally Posted by danswofford
I'm looking at them too. I'm going to get a 24'. Seems like a little more room inside for tires and spares and whatnot is a good idea. I could even sleep in it at a rest stop. A trailer dealer I talked to recommended 16 inch tires rather than 15 for more load capacity. Some have really cheap luan ply on the interior siding. Look for 3/8" ply or vinyl. Led lights are good. Aluminum diamond plate on the front for rock deflection is good. Check the leading online auction site, I saw a 24' Haulmark for $5900. I've been told that Haulmark's are good.
Haulmark makes a great trailer. Pace also builds a very nice trailer. Some of the managment at Pace went and created their own company and started Haulmark. I raced motorcycles for years and put many miles and had both makes with no problems at all. My haulmark was custom built at the factory and they did a great job with the cabinets, internal water tank, built in pressure washer, and special size doors. I baught it in 2000 and just sold it for only about 1500.00 less than i paid for it so they seem to hold their value pretty well. When i go to get an enclosed ill probably buy a Haulmark
Old 05-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Cape Cod Bob
Account disabled by user request 2 March 2009

Just got a Haulmark Thrifty Hauler last month. Great trailer!
Just got back from Bowling Green, KY. It was about 1150 miles each way and the trailer towed great.
Get the 5200lb axles. I also got a winch and a trim package.
Whole deal was under 8K.
Bob B.

Get notified of new replies

To Enclosed Car Trailer

Old 05-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Cbntmn
Racer

Where did you get the Haulmark?

So you winch the car in everytime becuase if you drive it in you cant get back out the door. Where do you hook up the winch to the car?

How about your ramps? do you need some 2x12s along with the ramps to get the car in? My vette is pretty low.

Your pull vehicle looks like a 150 ford. That would man my expedition should be able to pull the same trailer. Do you have sway bars on the trailer and anything special on the truck?

Thanks
Old 05-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Cape Cod Bob
Account disabled by user request 2 March 2009

Originally Posted by Cbntmn
Where did you get the Haulmark?
From my local dealer here in MA

So you winch the car in everytime becuase if you drive it in you cant get back out the door. Where do you hook up the winch to the car?
I have a "V" strap I bought from A&W with a "T" hook on either end. Hook those to the front jacking holes and the top of the "T" has a ring I hook to the winch.

How about your ramps? do you need some 2x12s along with the ramps to get the car in? My vette is pretty low.
Mine is very low and I use 6' ramps.

Your pull vehicle looks like a 150 ford. That would man my expedition should be able to pull the same trailer. Do you have sway bars on the trailer and anything special on the truck?
That's a Nissan Titan. Great tow vehicle. I use the Equal-i-zer for sway control. Seems to work the best.

Thanks
Tows great...hope this helps.
Bob
Old 05-06-2007, 01:50 PM
Cbntmn
Racer

This is the one I am thinking about. The Aluminum frame is pretty attractive for weight reduction.

Let me know what you guys think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/22-We...QQcmdZViewItem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Enclosed Car Trailer