Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Report on RacingBrake Rotors and DTC pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 08:51 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

Default Report on RacingBrake Rotors and DTC pads

Like AZ FASTEST I have had very good luck with the RaceBrake Rotors and DTC 70-60 pads. I just returned from Carolina Motorsports park with Turnone and I ran 10-20 Minute sessions the first three on normal active handling and the last 7 in comp mode. the rotors show almost no wear at all 32.60MM new and 32.55 after CMP. The pads show a little less than 2 MM of wear on the front (DTC70)and less than 1MM on the rear (DTC60) after CMP. Personally I,m am very pleased with there preformance They really stopped the great, 2 125MPH straights one with a 120 degree left at the end. Here are pictures of the rotors and pads after CMP event. The car has Racing Brakes rotors all around.

Front left rotor

Left front pads

Left front Center pads
Old 04-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

DTC are Hawk pads right? Why not the RB ET700 pads?
Old 04-24-2007, 10:49 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
DTC are Hawk pads right? Why not the RB ET700 pads?
Because the ET700 is a street and track pad. And I wanted track pads, I don't think you can use street and track pads are meant for extended track use. They also did not have there pads when I bought the setup. However I would consider there ET900 when it is available. I have run the DTCs on the street and they seem fine, however I am in Florida and it is warm most of the time. I drive the car very limited on the street and the DCTs do dust pretty bad so I would not recommend them for a car that is on the street alot. JD
Old 04-25-2007, 09:00 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Nice looking setup... nice to see the pad compoud is holding up. I've heard that the OEM C6Z brakes padlets can be run through in just one track day due to being so thin.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:07 AM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Because the ET700 is a street and track pad. And I wanted track pads, I don't think you can use street and track pads are meant for extended track use. They also did not have there pads when I bought the setup. However I would consider there ET900 when it is available. I have run the DTCs on the street and they seem fine, however I am in Florida and it is warm most of the time. I drive the car very limited on the street and the DCTs do dust pretty bad so I would not recommend them for a car that is on the street alot. JD

according to the RB website and their tech people the ET 700 is track only. the below was copied from the site.

Application Front Rear
Track / Street ET500 ET500
Weekend Tracking / Auto Crossing ET700 ET500
Track Racing ET700 ET700

The ET900 is not show on their site, in all the discusion through the Z06 section, there as been no mention of ET 900's???
Old 04-25-2007, 09:34 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

a new Z needs strictly track pads ( paddlets) on the track. Combination pads are still not a good idea.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
a new Z needs strictly track pads ( paddlets) on the track. Combination pads are still not a good idea.
the question was why not use the RB pads with the RB rotors...the response was ET 700's are not track pads.

However RB does make the claim that they are.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:30 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

the question was why not use the RB pads with the RB rotors...the response was ET 700's are not track pads.

However RB does make the claim that they are.
They are coming with a hi-temp ET900 track pad and as I said they did not offer any pads when I bought the set up. I was'nt aware the Et 700 was a track pad. Based on what I have heard it is more for autocross and light tracking. I personally don't think that any/most Z06s that get put on a track, get light tracking. Just my opinion. JD
Old 04-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

They are coming with a hi-temp ET900 track pad and as I said they did not offer any pads when I bought the set up. I was'nt aware the Et 700 was a track pad. Based on what I have heard it is more for autocross and light tracking. I personally don't think that any/most Z06s that get put on a track, get light tracking. Just my opinion. JD
JD, I would agree with "no such thing as light tracking" I burn through a set of XP12's in less than 4 sessions @ Road America Yes that's two front set for a weekend.

When RB touted their pads as thicker and the ET700's as true track pads they had my attention. Now from what I hear they have recalled the ET700's and are rethinking their engineering (ET900s?)
Old 04-25-2007, 07:22 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

JD, I would agree with "no such thing as light tracking" I burn through a set of XP12's in less than 4 sessions @ Road America Yes that's two front set for a weekend.

When RB touted their pads as thicker and the ET700's as true track pads they had my attention. Now from what I hear they have recalled the ET700's and are rethinking their engineering (ET900s?)
Gary, I don't know all of the details, but from what I understand they have stood behind their product 100% and have offered to pay for any other damage caused buy their product. I have a full set of their calipers on order and plan on running either Hawk DTCs or the new ET900 pads. They offer a full money back guarantee if you are not happy with their products and so far I have no reason to not think that they will not stand behind that and so far I am not unhappy with any of their products. If and when that time comes I will be the first to scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although I have not run at Road America I have spent a lot of time there in my youth. I would not consider RA a weekend tracking type of track nor would I compare it to autocross HAHA!!!! Therefore I don't think that the ET 700 pads should have been used for that application, thats just my personal opinion for what its worth which is nothing. If I were running RA I would want the best track pads available and when and if I do thats what I'll get. JD

Last edited by JDIllon; 04-25-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:11 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing pad and rotor durability for the car I saw seriously moving around CMP this weekend. Although you don't use much brake when all you do is pass everyone! Thanx for data & pics Jim.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Gary, I don't know all of the details, but from what I understand they have stood behind their product 100% and have offered to pay for any other damage caused buy their product. I have a full set of their calipers on order and plan on running either Hawk DTCs or the new ET900 pads. They offer a full money back guarantee if you are not happy with their products and so far I have no reason to not think that they will not stand behind that and so far I am not unhappy with any of their products. If and when that time comes I will be the first to scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although I have not run at Road America I have spent a lot of time there in my youth. I would not consider RA a weekend tracking type of track nor would I compare it to autocross HAHA!!!! Therefore I don't think that the ET 700 pads should have been used for that application, thats just my personal opinion for what its worth which is nothing. If I were running RA I would want the best track pads available and when and if I do thats what I'll get. JD

JD your are again right about RB standing behind their stuff and refunding cash paid for pads and even reembursing for damaged stuff. They are doing what they promised they would to make my situation right....but they did recommend the ET700's specifically for RA, that's why I used them.

I have about 1,500 miles of track day experience at RA so I fully understand the demand on brakes. I run in the low 2:30's so I would never run pads that weren't the max temp availible.

apparently the folks at RB really did think the ET700s were better than they were. When they found out they weren't they pulled them and went into development of the ET900, to their credit.

Unfortunately, it made for a very short week end for me, a disabled car, and a 500 mile tow in both directions without fulfilling my need for speed.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:38 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Hey Gary, as I said I don't know all of the facts and I am not a shill for RB. I would probably feel just like you had that happened to me. I can only say that all of my dealing with RB have been fine and the product has performed to my expectations. JD
Old 04-26-2007, 12:03 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

I had a bad experience with the ET700 pads and their recommendation for using them at a heavy braking track...dealing with the folks there has been good, they are stand up guys and do stand behind there stuff. It looks like they are committed to fixing the issue also.

JD with your experience with your new setup do you have a comparison with your old setup? Have you run other pads than the Hawk pads? If so how do the Hawks compare with the other pads?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:37 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

now that you've got some directional rotors on the car, you really need to get some good brake ducting. Getting those rotors cool will make them perform and wear even better.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:29 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

I had a bad experience with the ET700 pads and their recommendation for using them at a heavy braking track...dealing with the folks there has been good, they are stand up guys and do stand behind there stuff. It looks like they are committed to fixing the issue also.

JD with your experience with your new setup do you have a comparison with your old setup? Have you run other pads than the Hawk pads? If so how do the Hawks compare with the other pads?
Gary, I ran ST43 Raybestos pads with std Z06 calipers and stock rotors in one event and they worked fine but they are very aggresive and squeal terrible on the street. As far as braking they seem about the same but I don't think the stock rotors will stand up to ST43 for long. Also I put the street wheels back on the car today and took it for a short spin and the brakes didnt squeal at all with the Hawk DTC70/60s, I know others say they squeal bad??? maybe its the Racing Brake rotors???? I don't know???? JD
Old 04-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Aggie #5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 06 Z brakes on my 04Z and I have run two DE events with the stock pads and I believe I can get one more event out of them. I run the car hard and normally completing for top time. (X formula ford racer) the last event by a few seconds faster then other Zs and Vipers (one Viper days full race car) so I drive fairly hard... The 06 brake conversion has been by far the best upgrade I could do. I have driven the same track with stock brake and hawk pads and was not able to go as fast…I own a 951S race car with great brakes and these brakes work great. I can’t wait to put on my hawk brake compound on the car to see what happens… By the way you will need doug rippie coolers up front.

Regards,
Old 04-27-2007, 11:11 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

according to the RB website and their tech people the ET 700 is track only. the below was copied from the site.

Application Front Rear
Track / Street ET500 ET500
Weekend Tracking / Auto Crossing ET700 ET500
Track Racing ET700 ET700

The ET900 is not show on their site, in all the discusion through the Z06 section, there as been no mention of ET 900's???
I'll let you know on Tuesday. I am running Summit Point with 700's in the front and 500's in the rear.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:20 PM
0RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pursuing a compound that is good for both street and track seems never end. Our ET700 compound was aimed for track but also streetable – It was fully tested in Thunderhill for 25 hours endurance race last December with 40 percent friction left.

The wear resistance has a lot to do with the rotor surface finishes – Plain, slotted or drilled (Z06 stock rotor has 96 for front and 63 drill holes for rear) etc, of course the more drills/slots the more bites (wear) to the pads. The efficiency of rotor cooling also affects the braking temperature, which in turn dominates the life of the pads and how they perform.

Our ET900 will be a fully dedicated track compound which shall be available along with our calipers around May 15.

RB is committed to providing the total solution to Z06 brakes, once we released our 900 series –Track only, high temp (1600 F), high torque and 800 series –Track only, High temp (1600 F) lower torque, we shall have a complete coverage for different driving & racing needs.

Get notified of new replies

To Report on RacingBrake Rotors and DTC pads

Quick Reply: Report on RacingBrake Rotors and DTC pads