Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 08:01 PM
b91857
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a little help

Hello All,

I posted this in the Tech forum but maybe you fellow track junkies can give me some insight.

A quick question to all you C5 owners out there. I have a '02 Z06 and when I shook my left front wheel during a tech inspection at a local event it felt like I had a bad ball joint or a really worn hub assembly. Upon further inspection I found that the bolts that go into the hub assembly from the back were loose and had backed out about a 1/4" each. After removing the bolts and checking the threads I put some loctite on them and re-installed them. The car seems fine now and the right side checked out just fine. My question is what would cause these to back out? The car has never been apart and only has 25k miles on it. Granted plenty of track and autocross miles but I can't imagine why these would back out. Anyone else have this problem? Any guess why it would happen?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 04-22-2007, 08:52 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

never installed properly. Are you the original owner?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:08 PM
b91857
Intermediate

Hi John,

I am the original owner, that's what worries me. Not so sure of GM's assembly line.

Brian
Old 04-22-2007, 09:31 PM
GB'sZo6
Instructor

Default I too !!

I have found the bolts that hold the hub assembly loose also. I check them every other event. I own a garage and have found the same thing with customer cars that do not ever see the track.

Use lock tight !!
Old 04-22-2007, 10:13 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

It just "happens"! That because a regular item to be checked during my world challenge days. I alway torqued them AND used blue loc-tite, but occasional they just came loose.

Be glad you caught it.

Get notified of new replies

To need a little help

Quick Reply: need a little help