Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded Brake Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Upgraded Brake Calipers

I've looked at Wilwood, Brembo, Baer and at my wallet and they don't seem to match. Is there an upgraded caliper that doesn't cost $3000 a set. I'm currently running Carbotech pads and stock rotors with Doug Rippie stainless pistons and wonder if just a little more braking wouldn't be nice. I like the idea of three or more pistons, but not at those prices. Any suggestions???
Old 04-20-2007, 04:52 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Last C5
I've looked at Wilwood, Brembo, Baer and at my wallet and they don't seem to match. Is there an upgraded caliper that doesn't cost $3000 a set. I'm currently running Carbotech pads and stock rotors with Doug Rippie stainless pistons and wonder if just a little more braking wouldn't be nice. I like the idea of three or more pistons, but not at those prices. Any suggestions???
LG has a Wilwood for the front.
http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog...oducts_id=1514
You can use your stock rotors. It fits under the stock Z06 17" front wheel and the pads last for years, well maybe not years but a lot longer than most. I have it and love it.
Picture is worth a thousand words.!!!!!
[IMG][/IMG]
Tim

Last edited by TmillerC5; 04-20-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:12 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll 2nd the LG Wilwoods! I use them and love 'em.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow01
I'll 2nd the LG Wilwoods! I use them and love 'em.
I just heard the Wilwoods are not considered street legal and if involved in an accident and your car has them on it you could be held liable regardless of who was at fault. Anybody else aware of this?
Old 04-20-2007, 06:13 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Miaugi
I just heard the Wilwoods are not considered street legal and if involved in an accident and your car has them on it you could be held liable regardless of who was at fault. Anybody else aware of this?
Too many attorny offices around. That is more or less a fail safe way of making sure Wilwood doesn't get Fxxxed in court.

Randy
Old 04-20-2007, 06:43 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

pure and simple

Who told you this? some guy who sells another BBK set up??

Yes some states and provinces are considering ANY changes or modification away from OEM would be illegal.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Here is another possibility to consider.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...highlight=SSBC.

Read post 48. SSBC brakes
Old 04-20-2007, 07:25 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Yes some states and provinces are considering ANY changes or modification away from OEM would be illegal.
This is the interpretation of the law, I was told by a WI state trooper that my exhaust was illegal because it wasn't stock! Now I know my exhaust is illegal as hell (headers no cats and Corsa) but I install aftermarket mufflers all the time, that means that everyone with something other than there stock mufflers are all breaking the law. Which is just untrue. It's all in the interpretation and the one doing the interpreting.
I'm not sure stopping your car in a shorter distance is ever a bad thing.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:26 PM
rbeckham
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Last C5
Is there an upgraded caliper that doesn't cost $3000 a set. I'm currently running Carbotech pads and stock rotors with Doug Rippie stainless pistons and wonder if just a little more braking wouldn't be nice.
I know exactly what you mean. My low-cost solution was the VBP front C5 caliper upgraded with the Ti inserts, plus somebody's (don't recall without a search) thin Ti shields which fit under the pads. Gary (Hardbar) clued me to this. Of course I have cooling ducts to both fronts and rears, use Motul, and bleed regularly. PFC-01s front and rear, but that's a personal choice. The combination works well for me, probably because the main problem to be solved is heat transfer from the rotor to the fluid in the caliper, and this is about as well as it can be done with stock C5 brake components.

While I am not a fan of VBP - mainly because they don't seem to be able to explain their spring rates (another story altogether), their C5 calipers with the Ti inserts are good stuff.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:34 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

STOPTECH. Only system with balanced pistons, and very affordable.

However, if you stay stock, good cooling ducts (like sealed spindle ducts) and Ti inserts on the piston side only will help a good bit.

Cooling is always the limit. If you want to stop faster and more often, you HAVE to get rid of all of that heat.

I have a picture of my old bone stock 2000 with glowing red calipers using STOCK calipers. To me, that just means you need better cooling!
Old 04-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
pure and simple

Who told you this? some guy who sells another BBK set up??

Please don't shoot the messenger.....it was a company here in Canada who specializes in brakes for all makes of cars. They do not carry many of the brands that are popular here on the forum, but Wilwoods were the only ones he signaled out as now being illegal.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:02 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
STOPTECH. Only system with balanced pistons, and very affordable.

However, if you stay stock, good cooling ducts (like sealed spindle ducts) and Ti inserts on the piston side only will help a good bit.

Cooling is always the limit. If you want to stop faster and more often, you HAVE to get rid of all of that heat.

I have a picture of my old bone stock 2000 with glowing red calipers using STOCK calipers. To me, that just means you need better cooling!
The Wilwood won't spread like a stock caliper. How far out of balance are the Wilwood pistons from stock volume? Once you have spindle ducts what better way to cool the brakes for a streetable size hose most here run? Thanks!
Old 04-20-2007, 09:13 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Give us a call and we can get you set up. Our calipers are wider than the normal Wilwood set up and we use the Stock Rotors with our G-Stop LG Motorsports/Wilwood set up.

BY using stock rotors, you can take advantage of the normally highest cost consumable being the rotors. You can continue to buy NAPA low cost rotors to keep your on track fun affordable.

Thanks and let us know if we can help you out.

Lou Gigliotti

PS, if you combine a set of our spindle ducts with your package you will have plenty of brakes.

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"
Old 04-20-2007, 09:19 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My Wilwoods front and rear work great with the NAPA's or the two piece Stoptech rotors from LGM which I use. LGM spindle ducts with the DRM ducts is great.!
Old 04-20-2007, 10:27 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Give us a call and we can get you set up. Our calipers are wider than the normal Wilwood set up and we use the Stock Rotors with our G-Stop LG Motorsports/Wilwood set up.

BY using stock rotors, you can take advantage of the normally highest cost consumable being the rotors. You can continue to buy NAPA low cost rotors to keep your on track fun affordable.

Thanks and let us know if we can help you out.

Lou Gigliotti

PS, if you combine a set of our spindle ducts with your package you will have plenty of brakes.
Lou, Is this package available for the C6 with Z51 sized rotors? Seems like it would be a great and affordable option.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:38 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

SSBs, Stoptech, and LGs for stock size pads and rotors -- Thanks guys, now I have several ways to go.
Last C5
Old 04-21-2007, 02:33 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Mine have been through New York State Inspection twice now and both times they have passed.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Upgraded Brake Calipers

Old 04-21-2007, 06:17 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Mine have been through New York State Inspection twice now and both times they have passed.

Bill
Glad to hear that it was maybe just an over zealous sales pitch....although he did intimate that this was a recent development. They say three times is a charm, hope your next inspection goes just as smooth as the first two!
Old 04-21-2007, 07:52 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Please don't shoot the messenger.....it was a company here in Canada who specializes in brakes for all makes of cars. They do not carry many of the brands that are popular here on the forum, but Wilwoods were the only ones he signaled out as now being illegal.
Nope Not your fault. And Canada seems to be more strick on cars and aftermarket equipment.

We have our challanges here in the states as 96CollectorSport mentioned. Many times it is a matter of interpretation of the law.

We have some federal EPA law about Not removing ( HERE IS THE TRICKY PART) properly functioning OEM catylitic converters. Or some wording like that.

Well after I ran over those rake tynes which punctured my OEM cats, I had to replace them with High Flow cats.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:56 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
My Wilwoods front and rear work great with the NAPA's or the two piece Stoptech rotors from LGM which I use. LGM spindle ducts with the DRM ducts is great.!
Just curious but what kind of life do you get out of the Stoptech rotors?

Quick Reply: Upgraded Brake Calipers