Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head/Neck Restraint

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 08:31 AM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head/Neck Restraint

Has any body out there tried the newer G Force restraint system for DE's? I am considering upgrading to a full face helmet and the G force helmet is considerably cheaper than the Bell or Simpson with the added bonus that their head & neck restraint is about 1/10 the price. I admit to being cheap, but the overall goal is still protection. Any feedback?
Here you go John: http://www.saferacer.com/gfsrheresy.html

Last edited by WNDOPDLR; 04-20-2007 at 11:02 AM. Reason: add link
Old 04-20-2007, 09:47 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

link?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:20 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I can't see how the device fastens to your harness. I personally like the R3 because it has a strap that secures it to your body, then is reinforced by your harnesses. If the little red gizmo is the only thing securing the straps, I'd be concerned about how well it would stay in place in a side-impact.

That being said, anything is better than nothing, and the price is certainly right. I wore a Hutchins for 2 years before everybody decided it was worthless. Still have it around the shop. Amazing how quickly rules and safety requirments change.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:08 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the websites for these safety devices showed an impact test results. The G-Force was made to look pretty bad so I never got one for my G-Force helmet. I hope their new one is a drastic improvement.

One of the more popular devices comes in an economical version made of kevlar webbing instead of steel with shocks or whatever. As I recall about $300 instead of the $900 version. Not great but better than nothing.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Snidley
Burning Brakes

I purchased the G-Force SRS-1 system over the winter. I haven't tried it while driving, but the static tests do seem to stop my head from traveling forward much. The part that stops the movement is a 12" long fiberglass rod (About 1/2" dai.) that gets trapped below the shoulder straps. If your harness is not set up properly, the system will not work. Using it with the Sport seats looks like it will work, but I would not use it with the Z-06 seats. The rod would be likely to slip out from under the belts. I'll try to post a better report about the system after my next track day.

Steve
Old 04-20-2007, 06:24 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 04-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Also very interested. I'm about to purchase a G-Force helmet with plans to get the SRS soon.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:52 AM
L98 DRIVER
Racer

I've been wearing the g-force thing for 2 yrs in My SSC car.
It is just a bit restrictive for side vision. It takes a serious effort to rotate your head more than about 5 deg and 10 deg is about all there is. Beyond that it's not too bad. What you get for what you pay is not too good but a Hans just is not in the budget.

PS It does seem to make me just a bit more aggressive.
.02 from the L98
Old 04-22-2007, 07:40 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Ragtop
Also very interested. I'm about to purchase a G-Force helmet with plans to get the SRS soon.
G-Force will have some new helmet models later this year called the 2000 series. These new helmets will be pre-drilled for HANS.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:25 AM
mgg
Instructor

Default hans device

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
G-Force will have some new helmet models later this year called the 2000 series. These new helmets will be pre-drilled for HANS.
For those of you who might think the Hans device is too expensive and would comprimise I would suggest you think again. After just going through cervical surgery ( 4 disc's fused together ) out of work, pain, and a recovery period of about eight months for normal feeling I would strongly suggest the Hans. If you think cost is too high, you should see my hospital, surgeons & doctors bills after insurance. The hans would amount to a pittance incomparison. I had surgery in Feb.07 and willbe able to get back in my race car at the end of august if everything goes well. I can assure you that I won't even consider belting in without a Hans device: The results of comparison testing shows the competitors are worthless. After my recent experience I fell obligated to tell fellow drivers to please stongly consider a Hans. I hope that an accident never happens to anyone but if it does and a neck injury occurs, not having a hans device for protection will be the biggest regret you will ever have. The thousand dollars you spend now could possibly save you tens times that in lost wages, pain & frustration.
Just my thoughts!
Mike
Old 04-22-2007, 10:10 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Had my HANS for two years now. Dont go out on the track without it.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:35 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The way I see it working is it will keep you chin from rotating forward? How does this device keep your head from moving in a forward parallel plane with the road surface?
Old 04-25-2007, 09:28 PM
hardlight
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought an Isaac Link system today, its their economy model for $295. It is a system that fits on the shoulder harness straps and has attach anchors for the tethers that can be put on any helmet. Its numbers equal the Hans in testing. The fact I can use my existing helmet is a big plus. If you get a G-Force SRS-1 for instance you have to buy a compatible helmet whcih kicks the cost over $500.

Isaac's high dollar units use dampers instead of webbing and it beat the Hans by a significant margin. I emailed some questions to them and got an immeadiate phone call, seems like an on the ball operation.

http://www.isaacdirect.com/

Last edited by hardlight; 04-26-2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:03 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I have a Simpson SIM-50000 restraint. It is not listed here, and nobody seems to have used it??? Does anyone here on the forum have an opinion on this particular restraint system?

Thanks,
Old 04-25-2007, 10:24 PM
fastfb350
Instructor

Does a neck collar not do any good? I was about to order one, I know that somebody has very eloquently stated why the HANS is worth it, but I really just don't have the money for it. But I can swing a $40 neck collar.

Also, I can't recall seeing anybody at TWS using a HANS device.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:44 PM
danswofford
Pro

Originally Posted by fastfb350
Does a neck collar not do any good? I was about to order one, I know that somebody has very eloquently stated why the HANS is worth it, but I really just don't have the money for it. But I can swing a $40 neck collar.

Also, I can't recall seeing anybody at TWS using a HANS device.
I used them at the dirt circle track. They are pretty low tech and in no way are they going to do what a HANS does but they may be better nothing. It won't keep your head from snapping forward but will keep it from snapping down. Buy a round doughnut shaped one, not any kind of U-shape. But buy a HANS if you can.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:02 PM
COBrien
Drifting

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

FWIW I bought a HANS recently and used it for the first time last weekend. For anybody who's reluctant to buy one because they're concerned about it limiting mobility, I can say that it definitely does limit your ability to turn your head, BUT it didn't bother me at all on the track. I could turn my head enough to look through every turn to my track out points. In fact, while on track I completely forgot I had it on. I imagine it could get to be an issue on a tight hairpin, and it's certainly a bit of an annoyance rolling around the paddock (quick and easy enough to unclip, though, in those cases), but IMO well worth it.

Get notified of new replies

To Head/Neck Restraint

Old 04-25-2007, 11:25 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by fastfb350
Does a neck collar not do any good?
I don't think a neck collar is much help, but it does a good job helping to support the helmet while going through the corners!

I looked at the ISAAC® on the web thanks to the link. I am very impressed with what I saw. I always considered a HANS, but never had the budget even know I know I need something to be safer... Thanks for the post with the link. I'd be interested to hear more comments about its use.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:49 AM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by qwik96GS
I don't think a neck collar is much help, but it does a good job helping to support the helmet while going through the corners!

I looked at the ISAAC® on the web thanks to the link. I am very impressed with what I saw. I always considered a HANS, but never had the budget even know I know I need something to be safer... Thanks for the post with the link. I'd be interested to hear more comments about its use.

Very interesting link. Anybody else have ay experience with the ISASC system?
Old 04-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Seems like it would be hard to escape with it on if you had a fire.

Quick Reply: Head/Neck Restraint