Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire wear on the track

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 01:07 AM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default tire wear on the track

All things being equal for tires on a C5 WRT tread depth and air pressure, etc., how might I expect them to wear on a road course such as VIR where one generally goes in a clockwise direction with various turns and directions in-between? Which rear tire might I expect to wear out sooner?

Just curious. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2007, 06:44 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

VIR has 17 turns, 8 are left handed.

Ideally HOT or when you come off the track tire temps should be 40*

So starting 30-32 cold ( normal ) or 32 front 30 rear for street tires works well. Just take a reading after each session and make adustments prior to the next session
Old 04-20-2007, 07:13 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run 34 rear and 38 front on the OEM super cups and the wear is pretty even . I have an agressive alignment (lots of camber). I ususally run out of front tire first and the rears seeem to wear even consistently. Suggest that you get some white shoe polish and mark the edges of the tires and see where the wear stops and then adjust the pressure from there so that it wears off the paint on the tread and not the sidewalls.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:16 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have corded two left rear tires at VIR - always seem to get the inner side.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:34 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

With a stock alignment, the outside edge of all of your tires will wear a little. Left side more than right. If you tend to spin your tires a bit coming out of OakTree, you can wear the inside edge of your rear tires (especially if you run a lot of camber).

Any clockwise track, in general, will stress the outside edge of the outside tire the most, in this case, the front left!
Old 04-22-2007, 08:32 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Recently, on a clockwise course, 4 track days left my stock aligned c5 with a badly worn front left outside edge wear. All other tires and even the inside edge and middle of the front left tire were about even, with very little wear.

I recently turned the tire around on the rim, putting the worn side to the inside, where I am not getting much wear.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:01 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wore the right rear faster. Partly due to having the wrong pressure and partly due to sliding the car down in hog pen. From left is a given based on clockwise direction.

I've flipped my Supercars across the rims and run them inside out with no problems. Just to get more miles out of them. On a dry track you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. With any race tire or heavily worn street tire. Just rotate at the end of the 1st day and move the left side tires to the right and vice versa. Even rain tires are fine running in the wrong direction on a dry track. I have yet to own a tire I have run in either direction.

Get notified of new replies

To tire wear on the track

Quick Reply: tire wear on the track