Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carbotech pads cracking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 03:46 PM
02impactblue
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default carbotech pads cracking?

I have a set of xp10 front pads that I've used for 2 weekends and they still have 50% material left. The pads are cracked in the center of the pads. The 3-4 cracks start in the dead center of the pad and continue out of the center in a star pattern almost to the edge of the pad. Are these trashed at this point? The cracks don't appear to be very deep but if this is not normal i dont want to use them this weekend. Any advice? I tried calling carbotech but I can't find their number. The web site is not working. Anyone have the phone#

Last edited by 02impactblue; 04-18-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:05 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

ttt
Old 04-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Darrell@Xtreme
Intermediate

Default Carbotech

The # is 877-899-5024. I have only one weekend on my XP10 front and XP8 rear no problems so far .
Old 04-18-2007, 08:00 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

pads show cracks but should be OK they may start to chunk at the edges. Hard to say without seeing them.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:10 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I have used some Hawks with cracks in them in the past. It doesn't seem to hurt anything. I run them down to the backing plates.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:34 PM
NewC6Toy
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John Shiels
pads show cracks but should be OK they may start to chunk at the edges. Hard to say without seeing them.
This has been my experience also, cracks and chunking at the edges. Absolutely no problems with performance, they look ugly but still slow me up in time for the corner everytime. I have worn even worn them down to the rivets by mistake...
Old 04-19-2007, 08:47 PM
02impactblue
Pro

Thanks for the replies! I will run them this weekend and see how they do. I have a new set I will be taking just incase. I think I will pull them and inspect after a session or two.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:40 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

I've gotten single cracks before - would keep an eye on them though, because carbotech's are attached with rivets (three points) rather than a continuous attachment like the wilwoods (to the best of my knowledge).
Old 04-19-2007, 10:45 PM
danswofford
Pro

Originally Posted by 02impactblue
I have a set of xp10 front pads that I've used for 2 weekends and they still have 50% material left. The pads are cracked in the center of the pads. The 3-4 cracks start in the dead center of the pad and continue out of the center in a star pattern almost to the edge of the pad. Are these trashed at this point? The cracks don't appear to be very deep but if this is not normal i dont want to use them this weekend. Any advice? I tried calling carbotech but I can't find their number. The web site is not working. Anyone have the phone#
Mine cracked nearly as you described; one crack in the center, seemed pretty big. I didn't care, I just threw them back on and drove. But then that is just me.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:30 AM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have a new website:

http://www.ctbrakes.com/overview.html

I just finished off a set of XP8s and noticed when I got home that one of the front pads had cracked. I ran them down pretty thin. They made the 6hr drive each way to Roebling and lots of time on track. First time I've ever cracked a brake pad. The XP10/XP8 setup I'm using now is not cracking or chunking and they are probably only good for another weekend.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:45 AM
NewC6Toy
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by freefall
I've gotten single cracks before - would keep an eye on them though, because carbotech's are attached with rivets (three points) rather than a continuous attachment like the wilwoods (to the best of my knowledge).
The old site had a FAQ about why they still used rivets. The best I can recall, is that the pads were bonded and rivets were just in case. I can't find that FAQ on the new site, but I have found they are always willing to answer questions if really need to know.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:38 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vms4evr
They have a new website:

http://www.ctbrakes.com/overview.html

I just finished off a set of XP8s and noticed when I got home that one of the front pads had cracked. I ran them down pretty thin. They made the 6hr drive each way to Roebling and lots of time on track. First time I've ever cracked a brake pad. The XP10/XP8 setup I'm using now is not cracking or chunking and they are probably only good for another weekend.
I run them with cracks - it seems to happen at about 1/2 pad life...

Graham - So - can you tell the difference in lap times with the XP10 vs the XP8? I have run XP8, 10 and 12 at multiple tracks. I see a difference in rotor and pad life with the more aggressive pads - have not noticed huge differences in braking though. I have a couple boxes of pads from BPKM (mostly rears - 10/12s I think) which means I will need some 12's up front to use these up. I am currently using ~3 front sets to 2 rear sets....
Old 04-20-2007, 10:39 AM
02impactblue
Pro

Originally Posted by varkwso

Graham - So - can you tell the difference in lap times with the XP10 vs the XP8? I have run XP8, 10 and 12 at multiple tracks. I see a difference in rotor and pad life with the more aggressive pads - have not noticed huge differences in braking though. I have a couple boxes of pads from BPKM (mostly rears - 10/12s I think) which means I will need some 12's up front to use these up. I am currently using ~3 front sets to 2 rear sets....
Which pads are you getting the best life out of?
Old 04-20-2007, 12:51 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by varkwso

Jeff - I haven't timed my laps per say other than what I get out of my camcorder. The XP8s on all 4 corners wore quite well right down to under .100 pad left on the front. That is when they finally cracked. My XP10s are about half now. No cracks, chips or anything. The XP10s are harder on the rotors though. That I have noticed. They are only $10 more per set that the XP8 for the front.

I'd say if you're getting through a 20-30min session, in the summer months, and don't have a complaint about brake fade just stick with the XP8s for DEs. Save your XP10 or XP12 fronts for your time trial sessions to get that little bit extra. I have a brand new set of XP12/XP10 that I got from someone who decided not to use them. So I'm trying them at the end of May for 3 days on VIR Full. I'll have an extra set of front rotors that are bedded in. I suspect I'll crack the current rotors that weekend. I have noticed that with the XP10 I got pad taper quicker. Maybe the calipers are just getting worn out. I'm flipping the pads across the front wheels for every event. Might even do it each day for the 3 day weekend. I hate to waste expensive pads that a quick swap could help.

I just upgraded my brake ducts and added home made spindle ducts so now I'm getting air right into the rotor hub. We'll see if it helps any.

The XP8s on the rear are wearing very well with no taper. I suspect 2-3 sets of fronts to 1 set of rears.

Once these are all gone I'm going to try some Ferodo DS3000 and see how they compare.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:56 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which pads are you getting the best life out of?

XP8s - hands down....I leave them on all the time also..
Old 04-24-2007, 01:28 PM
02impactblue
Pro

Well the xp10's held together this weekend. I wore them down to the rivets with no issues from the surface cracks. I experienced a lot of pedal vibration and it got worse the thinner the pads got. I also noticed excessive pad deposits (might be the cause of vibration) on the front rotors. Is anyone else experiencing heavy pad deposits with the carbotechs?
Old 04-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Well the xp10's held together this weekend. I wore them down to the rivets with no issues from the surface cracks. I experienced a lot of pedal vibration and it got worse the thinner the pads got. I also noticed excessive pad deposits (might be the cause of vibration) on the front rotors. Is anyone else experiencing heavy pad deposits with the carbotechs?
Yes. I had this happen to me at Watkins Glen this week. In talking with Carbotech, we think that I bedded them too hot, too fast. I ended up taking some 150 grit sandpaper to the rotors & pads and then re-bedding them according to their procedure. (2 laps with medium brake pressure, 2 laps without braking, then 2 laps hard braking, and then let them cool for 30 minutes. I had no problems on day 2 after I cleaned up the rotors and pads.

I haven't pulled the pads off of the car yet so can't tell if the cracks got worse but after day 1, there was a hairline crack down the center of each pad.

-Matt

Get notified of new replies

To carbotech pads cracking?

Quick Reply: carbotech pads cracking?