Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyo RA1's vs Hoosier ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 12:06 PM
High 11s
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Toyo RA1's vs Hoosier ??

Has anyone tried both Hoosier R6 and Toyo RA1's?

How much slower are the RA1's and then how much longer do they last?

I do several open track days and have always used Goodyear GSCS's (DOT race tires) but wear is a real problem....I am lucky to get 4 days out of a set. I do push the car pretty hard, as I have been doing the lapping days now for years!

Trying to reduce my costs a little....your opinions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks...jdm
Old 04-18-2007, 12:17 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by High 11s

I do several open track days and have always used Goodyear GSCS's (DOT race tires) but wear is a real problem....I am lucky to get 4 days out of a set. I do push the car pretty hard, as I have been doing the lapping days now for years!

Trying to reduce my costs a little....your opinions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks...jdm
I do not have a direct comparison but the R3S04's we bought last year have worn well and have produced some good times. I think Hoosier is clearing them out real cheap too. I take it you must run waterford a bit.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:26 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks...jdm
The RA1 are definitely slower than the Hoosiers but their grip is still very good. If you are doing less than 10 track weekends per year they will probably last you the whole season.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks...jdm

I've used the Hoosiers, Goodyears and the Toyo RA1's.. I've found that the grip is best with the Hoosiers, then the Goodyears, with the Toyo's offering the poorest grip. As far as track life is concerned the Toyo's will last longer than either the Hoosiers or the Goodyears. If you're looking for more miles per $$, then the Toyo's will serve you best, but if you're looking for lower lap times and greater cornering grip, go with the Hoosiers.

Jim
Old 04-18-2007, 12:35 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Toyo's are very slow. They have too much tread to be used without shaving, then don't last very long if you shave them to WC depth. Not a good choice unless you are forced (by rules) to use them.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:52 PM
High 11s
Racer

Thanks everyone for your advise!

Frankly, once I am out on the track my goal is to go as fast as possible.

Thought maybe I had found a lower cost option.....seems there is no replacement for Goodyear or Hoosier!

And yes AUTO_X_AL, I do run at Waterford......actually go to the Shelby Club events....they are a blast for those in out area. (I have a Mustang track car also).

Maybe this year I will try another track or two!

Any thoughts on the new BFG R1? I used to run those years ago....they were great but no match for the then new GSC-S's.

Thanks.....jdm
Old 04-18-2007, 08:14 PM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Multiple weekends of comparison resulted in about 2 seconds a lap on a 90 second course. This was not adjusting anything but changes tires.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:59 PM
High 11s
Racer

Originally Posted by Z06 Silver Bullet
Multiple weekends of comparison resulted in about 2 seconds a lap on a 90 second course. This was not adjusting anything but changes tires.
Slightly more money for good tires is likely the least expensive way to gain 2 seconds when you are approaching the limit of the car IMO.

I see many people running Kumho tires (the treaded DOT Victoracer) at track events with a better car than I have, and consistantly run 2-3 seconds slower on our 80 second lap track.

I have also been told that the Hoosiers are better from laps 1 to 6 then about lap 8 the Goodyears are faster.

Guess you only get what you pay for!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:41 PM
blkz
Pro

What Goodyear tires have you found to be the best?
Old 04-19-2007, 09:54 AM
High 11s
Racer

Originally Posted by blkz
What Goodyear tires have you found to be the best?

Goodyear GCS-S. The -S stands for shaved...these are are DOT very stickly race tires. Very slight tread is molded in and usually gone in the first or second session, then they become almost like slicks.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:34 AM
dmwhite
Racer

Trying to reduce my costs a little....
toyos are cheaper and (in my experience) last a lot longer...hoosiers have more grip until they are "cycled out" then the grip falls way off and is less predictable...

for driving schools, i don't see the point of buying new hoosiers...they aren't going to make you a better driver...
Old 04-19-2007, 03:27 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Goodyear GCS-S. The -S stands for shaved...these are are DOT very stickly race tires. Very slight tread is molded in and usually gone in the first or second session, then they become almost like slicks.
i have searched but found no info or place that sell this tire ?

any tip on where to look ?

TIA

Rune
Old 04-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Racin Jason
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwhite

for driving schools, i don't see the point of buying new hoosiers...they aren't going to make you a better driver...

true, but they will make it a lot more fun!
Old 04-21-2007, 12:12 PM
High 11s
Racer

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
i have searched but found no info or place that sell this tire ?

any tip on where to look ?

TIA

Rune

Goodyear sells them through their distributor called Competition Tire.

We have one in Michigan and you can order the tires and they will deliver on a regular race day to your local track. That is what I do and they mount an balance on the spot for me at Waterford Hills road race track.

You should be able to find contact info from the Goodyear website.

jdm
Old 04-23-2007, 07:43 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Originally Posted by dmwhite
toyos are cheaper and (in my experience) last a lot longer...hoosiers have more grip until they are "cycled out" then the grip falls way off and is less predictable...

I agree completely.

Really, comparing RA1s to Hoosier R6s is like comparing apples to oranges. Nobody, including Toyo, would claim that the RA1 serves the same purpose. It's a "drive to the track" tire. Try that with the R6s!
Old 04-23-2007, 10:24 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JiminVirginia
I agree completely.

Really, comparing RA1s to Hoosier R6s is like comparing apples to oranges. Nobody, including Toyo, would claim that the RA1 serves the same purpose. It's a "drive to the track" tire. Try that with the R6s!
Already had this debate in another thread........

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1684923

Joe
Old 04-23-2007, 12:19 PM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
Already had this debate in another thread........

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1684923

Joe
Yep, and there will be more threads like this, I suppose.

Someone should make a FAQ about autox/track tires.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:57 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep this is a comparison about different types of tires. I see in the Z06 section where people constantly compare running a Nitto R2 to the GY F1 Supercar. Apples and orange... I class them apart more like this.

Hoosier R6/A6 + Kumho V710 = r-comp, super sticky, 40 treadwear.
Toyo RA1, Nitto R2/NT01 = r-comp, sticky, 100 treadwear.
Supercar, RT-615, PS2, KD = High end street tire, sticky for a street tire but not like an r-comp, ~200 treadwear.

These tires fall in different categories of competition. To compare a Supercar to an R2, or an RA1 to a Hoosier isn't equal.

Get notified of new replies

To Toyo RA1's vs Hoosier ??

Quick Reply: Toyo RA1's vs Hoosier ??