Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cordless impact wrench

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 09:58 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Cordless impact wrench

I just got a new cordless 1/2" impact wrench today at Pboys. It is a 24volt with 200 ft lbs of torque and is labeled Goodyear Racing. I was leary of the specs but I told them I would return it tomorrow if it could not remove the lugs on my car. After charging it for 3 hours it took off all of the lug nuts with ease. The best part is it was on sale for 79.95 + an additional $20 rebate. Now I can change my tires with ease at the track this weekend. Just letting you guys know in case anyone needs one.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:28 PM
jlucas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used mine all last year without a hitch!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:07 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

I love my cordless impact...
Old 04-17-2007, 11:21 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love mine too! But I've started breaking the torque loose on the lug nuts with an old torque wrench. Then using the impact gun to take them off. I torque them down mildly with the gun. Then use the torque wrench to get to 100ft/lbs.

I tried using the gun to break the lug nuts loose. Found I was rounding the edges off and tearing them up pretty quick. Replaced the whole set over the winter. I guess it depends on how many events you do as to how long the lugs will last.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by vms4evr
I love mine too! But I've started breaking the torque loose on the lug nuts with an old torque wrench. Then using the impact gun to take them off. I torque them down mildly with the gun. Then use the torque wrench to get to 100ft/lbs.

I tried using the gun to break the lug nuts loose. Found I was rounding the edges off and tearing them up pretty quick. Replaced the whole set over the winter. I guess it depends on how many events you do as to how long the lugs will last.
If you have the older lug nuts with plastic caps the base lug nut can be hammered on hundreds of times without serious damage. The problem lug nuts are the newer style with the chrome cap crimped on them. They are crap products.

Bill
Old 04-17-2007, 11:42 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I got a sweet 3/8 elecetric overpriced Blue point. It is by far the best tool in the box. That and a small 90 degree drill! Blast wheels off without problems, but it's pushing it a little, so I don't do it often. When I'm at the track, breaker bar to loosen, then impact.

Randy
Old 04-18-2007, 12:54 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I have the Dewalt 18V XRP model rated to 300ft-lb, and the darn thing sometimes can't get my lugs off without banging on them quite a while. I even took it in to get checked and they said it was fine.

Am I the only one whose electric impact is a wimp?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:29 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My dewalt drill is a complete pile of crap. Well it's got 5-6 years of hard use, so I guess thats pretty good.

Randy
Old 04-18-2007, 05:47 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by BQuicksilver
I have the Dewalt 18V XRP model rated to 300ft-lb, and the darn thing sometimes can't get my lugs off without banging on them quite a while. I even took it in to get checked and they said it was fine.

I'm not thrilled with mine, it doesn't seem that strong and it wasn't cheap. Matter of fact the first one I bought broke on the first outing, must have been defective. This one has lasted about a year now and I've only had to use a breaker a couple of times. It is better than the cheapies though. I went through 2 cheapies (the transmissions broke on mine in about a year) before the Dewalt.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:34 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vms4evr

Me Too!

Love the avatar!
Old 04-18-2007, 06:35 AM
jlucas
Racer

BTW, don't use the crappy sockets that come with the Goodyear/Pepboys one except in a bind. They are very poorly sized/toleranced.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:51 AM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Be careful, I tried to use it putting the nuts back on. I figured I could start with the gun and finish with the torque wrench. Went too far with the gun.:o I already stripped three rear studs with the gun, then I broke them with the star wrench, while I was REMOVING them.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:10 AM
racerbob4
Instructor

You should only use the gun to snug the lug nut up and then use a torque wrench with the proper setting to tighten them. As far as rounding off the lug nuts........obviously you arent using the right size socket.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our 18V De Walts worked great for a year or so,got tired. Had rebuilt but still would not meet the orginal as new performance.Now use the 36V DeWalt,its balanced better than the Snapone 36Volt.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:23 AM
dmwhite
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I'm not thrilled with mine, it doesn't seem that strong and it wasn't cheap. Matter of fact the first one I bought broke on the first outing, must have been defective. This one has lasted about a year now and I've only had to use a breaker a couple of times. It is better than the cheapies though. I went through 2 cheapies (the transmissions broke on mine in about a year) before the Dewalt.
interesting, i've had my 18v dewalt for over 2 years now and it works like a champ, no trouble at all with it...it gets a LOT of use, especially on race weekends, and sometimes several of us will use it...i rarely even use my air impact gun at home anymore...

i do know that dewalt now has a few different models that are similar to the one i have but don't have as much torque...
Old 04-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
Be careful, I tried to use it putting the nuts back on. I figured I could start with the gun and finish with the torque wrench. Went too far with the gun.:o I already stripped three rear studs with the gun, then I broke them with the star wrench, while I was REMOVING them.
Yea... another thing to watch for...

I broke 3 studs before I figured to stop using the cheap *** lug nuts from House of Wheels. They work fine for waxers, but if you take your lugs on and off a lot they gall the threads. I switched to better lug aftermarket lug nuts and haven't had any problems.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Another fairly new user of the DeWalt 18V XRP and so far so good--I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Get notified of new replies

To Cordless impact wrench

Old 04-18-2007, 10:12 AM
cendres
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Yea... another thing to watch for...

I broke 3 studs before I figured to stop using the cheap *** lug nuts from House of Wheels. They work fine for waxers, but if you take your lugs on and off a lot they gall the threads. I switched to better lug aftermarket lug nuts and haven't had any problems.
Slightly askew of topic, but McGard lugs are pretty much bomb-proof. They're actually pretty nicely finished, plus chrome doesn't chip or peel.

Has anyone tried Milwaukee's 18v cordless impact?
Old 04-18-2007, 12:40 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

I have a Snap-on Impact that I bought back in 02', before you could buy the cheap ones that you guys are fortunate to have. Crappy thing about Snap-on is the battery's aren't secured very well, and they tend to fall off, cracking the housing. Of course Snap-on doesn't warranty the battery, but they conveniently sell new housings.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I use a DeWalt 18V cordless drill. I break the lugnuts loose with a breaker bar and us the drill (with a 1/2 socket adaptor) to spin the lugnuts off.

It's much safer putting the nuts back on since you can set the clutch to whatever setting you want. I then use a torque wrench to torque to 100#'s.

Plus at home I have a drill that I use for all the home chores.

Quick Reply: Cordless impact wrench