Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS, icemode, went for a ride.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 09:12 PM
corvettenilesg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS, icemode, went for a ride.

Originally Posted by nogomoto
If you were the one who sent off coarse, through the mud and onto the runway past the cones, you were about 2 feet from ripping off a wheel on that raised manhole cover! I worked corner 4. I saw that when I went to get the cones that got tossed by the wind.

I believe you are talking about me, yes hitting that raised manhole cover or the landing light beside it would have truly been bad for my car. AS low as my car is, there is no telling how much damage that manhole cover could of done to my car, it was at least 6-8 inches above ground.

Luckily a have a little mud on my car, and flatspotted front tires. Stupid ABS in the early 97-98 C5 Corvette sometimes locks up during autocross under certain conditions, and your going for a ride, Matt Coleman knows what I'm talking about.

I wish there was someway to fix this, reprogramming the ABS computer, maybe with newer software or something. I was braking early enough, when we went back to look at it, my skidmarks started plenty early, I had time to release the brakes after I knew I was in a slide and then reapply brake pressure. There was the early skid marks, a short length without skid marks where I release brakes, then a second set of skid marks.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:28 AM
rickkym
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been there, Done that, where's my tee-shirt?
I got lucky though, when my 97 went Ice Mode on me I slipped into some scotch broom and just tore my headlight cover an put some spider cracks in the front fascia. I say lucky because I didn't punch through the tree-sized trunks of the brush and end up in the car-eating ditch on the other side.

I always turn my active handling off now, but can it go into ice mode with it off? Is there a way to program it out?

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: ABS, icemode, went for a ride.