Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS for Open road Race

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

Default GPS for Open road Race

I was looking for a GPS that would help me with a Open Road Race.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Operations
I was looking for a GPS that would help me with a Open Road Race.
Why? There are no deviations from the road... There are mile markers every mile as well so it is not like you are going to get lost... I assume you have entered the hand timing portion of the race, otherwise you will need a rally computer to win as many others have them and the absolutely zero out. The way to win your class in hand timing is to have a navigator that is on the ball and the discipline to not just hammer the car all the way to the end. It also helps not to be too ambitious about the speed class you enter. A lot of people , particularily C5 people, think they can average 150 or more. Good luck. I had a Z28 that did a 194mph measured mile in one of those races and we barely made 135 average. There are a lot of turns in some of those things and the one we entered that car in had a turnaround at 50 miles that destroyed our computations.
I have 3 first place trophies from those races and I will tell you that the best thing we ever did was to go to Big5 Sporting goods and buy a stopwatch that runs backwards. You plug in the time you need to hit and run one forward and one backward. When you come along to cross the finish line have your navigator count down from 10 and zero on the line. We missed by only 4 /1000 twice by doing that.... You use the forward watch to do the mile markers, the navigator starts it on the first marker and looks at the number on it every mile to keep you on track. It is also wise to drive as fast as you are able to for the first 65% of the distance, it is easy to lose speed, much harder to make up a deficit. We drove 150-160 in the 120 class for 2/3 of the distance. They may have reduced the tech speeds since then, I have not been out for 7 or 8 years and I know that quite a few people have crashed pretty hard in the events, like fatally hard. Whatever it is , drive the max your car is allowed. If this is your first event, you will want to ask a veteran entrant about tire pressures for your brand of tire as well and try to avoid any sort of race tire if you are under 160. The road is not very clean and a stone will puncture a race radial. I don't know about now, but when we ran only Hoosier tested their tires at over 200mph of all the race tires ao that is what people used. You need a lot of air to avoid the heat from a standing wave in the tire or it will fail and that will be that. I know of one case where the person had race tires on an NSX and really low pressure like 24 psi at the start. The tire exploded in roughly 5 miles due to the phenomenon as he should have had at least 40psi in the tire. He was doing 155mph at the time...

Send me a pm if this is your first orr and I will be glad to go through the fine points of this type of event..

Last edited by Tintin; 04-16-2007 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: GPS for Open road Race