Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wilwood Brakes: Without "Thermlock" Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Silverton
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wilwood Brakes: Without "Thermlock" Pistons

Several vendors on this forum (TByrne and ECS) are offering very good prices on the Wilwood SL6 6-piston calipers (front). However, these caliper do not have the "thermlock" pistons. LGM, however, offers the thermlock pistons for an extra $400. How good are the SL6 calipers without the thermlock pistons? Is is worth it to "step up" to the Stoptech ST-40 (4-piston) brakes (front only)?
Old 04-15-2007, 11:35 PM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked a similar question here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=thin+wilwood

I never really got a straight answer, but for the cost of the Wilwoods I ended up deciding on the 6 piston Stoptech package just recently.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:41 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silverton
Several vendors on this forum (TByrne and ECS) are offering very good prices on the Wilwood SL6 6-piston calipers (front). However, these caliper do not have the "thermlock" pistons. LGM, however, offers the thermlock pistons for an extra $400. How good are the SL6 calipers without the thermlock pistons? Is is worth it to "step up" to the Stoptech ST-40 (4-piston) brakes (front only)?
i really would like an answer on this as well. i'm drawn to the LG package, because I can continue to use the wheels i have, as well as my napa rotors.

will the sl-6 with thermlock pistons do the trick for a race setup? i mean, it HAS to be better than the stock calipers, but is it comparable with the other BBK's out there?
Old 04-16-2007, 01:56 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverton
they also use the thin pads on those setups. Those pads are near the same cost as thick ones. What are the prices for each of the three calipers?
Old 04-16-2007, 01:58 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I have been running the SL6 kit from LGM for two years. No Thermlock pistons. No problem with boiling the brake fluid but I never had a problem boiling it with the OEM calipers. I use either Wilwood 570 or 600+ brake fluid. Biggest advantage is consistent pedal feel due to not being sensitive to pedal taper and really thick brake pads that will last for 10 track days.

Bill
Old 04-16-2007, 03:50 AM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have been running the SL6 kit from LGM for two years. No Thermlock pistons. No problem with boiling the brake fluid but I never had a problem boiling it with the OEM calipers. I use either Wilwood 570 or 600+ brake fluid. Biggest advantage is consistent pedal feel due to not being sensitive to pedal taper and really thick brake pads that will last for 10 track days.

Bill
What upgrades did you do to your OEM calipers?
Old 04-16-2007, 10:18 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bill
Bill,

What pads are you running? Is this the setup that can be run with the OEM/NAPA rotors and stock Z06 front wheels?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-16-2007, 11:44 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Bill
Same here. Love 'em like crazy. Alot of fun catching people at the end of straights... seeing their brake lights come on and just waiting... waiting... then braking (and watching the instructor pushing the passenger side brake pedal if it's his/hers first time in the car ).

But I do bleed every time out, do have cooling ducts (don't have spindle ducts yet).

I do suffer some knockback, but nothing a quick touch on the pedal doesn't solve. Setup definitely fits under stock Z06 wheels.

I run the stock NAPA rotors and the extra thick pads that do last forever.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

What upgrades did you do to your OEM calipers?

The only thing I did with the OEM calipers was use track pads. I never boiled the fluid in those calipers although I had lots of problems with long pedal due to pad taper. The Wilwoods solved that problem.

What pads are you running? Is this the setup that can be run with the OEM/NAPA rotors and stock Z06 front wheels?

On the street I run the Wilwood Q compound and on the track I run the Wilwood H pads and NAPA rotors with stock Z06 wheels. My 17 x 9.5 AFS GS wheels will not clear the calipers without a spacer so I went to 17 x 11 GS wheels front and rear. This also helps when it comes to buying tires since I can buy more used T1 tires.

One thing I found out over the weekend is that I may be generating more heat with this setup. Previously I have wrapped my front tie rod ends with Thermotec heat shield and that has worked very well to keep the boots from burning. While prepping the car this weekend I pulled the Thermotec loose to inspect the boots and found both of them brittle and torn. First time that has happened to me since I had one go bad 9 years ago on my 97. That was when I started using the Thermotec.

Bill
Old 04-16-2007, 03:48 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bill I forgot if you are running spindle ducts?
Old 04-16-2007, 04:48 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

As previous LG SL6 user, I have nothing but good things about this caliper. Unfortunately, I can't tell you if the thermo-locks made a difference, compared to a non-thermolock caliper, but when it comes to brakes, I think it is worth the extra $$$ for piece of mind. I will say that the LG caliper is ROCK SOLID and I beat the crap out of them over and over again. Also, I thought the LG caliper was slightly different from a standard SL6 C5 package. The caliper is thicker which allows for thicker pads, which will also help with heat transfer.

Also, the LG kit came with SS lines. You can't re-use your C5 lines with the Wilwoods, so make sure you are comparing apples to apples. $400 becomes a lot cheaper if you have to buy 4 additional SS lines + thermolock pistons. Also, the LG package, I beleive comes with 1 set of the pads of your choice.

My advice, call LG and ask them what he includes in the total package and call the other vendor to make sure they include the same. I would bet they don't include SS lines or a set of pads!

Hey...and if in the end it's another $50...it's going to Lou. If there is anyone I don't mind paying a small premium to, it is LG. Support and stand behind their product #1
Old 04-17-2007, 01:19 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Bill I forgot if you are running spindle ducts?
I do not run the ducts yet. I have the DRM ducts with the hoses pointing at the back of the rotor. Hoses are right up against the ABS sensor connector mount so most of the air gets to the rotor.

Bill
Old 04-17-2007, 01:21 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 95jersey
As previous LG SL6 user, I have nothing but good things about this caliper. Unfortunately, I can't tell you if the thermo-locks made a difference, compared to a non-thermolock caliper, but when it comes to brakes, I think it is worth the extra $$$ for piece of mind. I will say that the LG caliper is ROCK SOLID and I beat the crap out of them over and over again. Also, I thought the LG caliper was slightly different from a standard SL6 C5 package. The caliper is thicker which allows for thicker pads, which will also help with heat transfer.

Also, the LG kit came with SS lines. You can't re-use your C5 lines with the Wilwoods, so make sure you are comparing apples to apples. $400 becomes a lot cheaper if you have to buy 4 additional SS lines + thermolock pistons. Also, the LG package, I beleive comes with 1 set of the pads of your choice.

My advice, call LG and ask them what he includes in the total package and call the other vendor to make sure they include the same. I would bet they don't include SS lines or a set of pads!

Hey...and if in the end it's another $50...it's going to Lou. If there is anyone I don't mind paying a small premium to, it is LG. Support and stand behind their product #1
I believe Lou sells his version of a Wilwood kit and the standard Wilwood kit so one phone call can cover every question.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Wilwood Brakes: Without "Thermlock" Pistons

Quick Reply: Wilwood Brakes: Without "Thermlock" Pistons