Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motive Brake Bleeder

Old 04-15-2007, 01:46 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Motive Brake Bleeder

I bought a Motive GM Power Bleeder-Model 0108 from Apex Performance about a month ago.

Had about 10psi in it, before it started to spew my Motul around the reservoir. Towels weren't enough to keep it from making a mess.

Called Apex, then Motul. It seems some early units had only one small washer (mine). Motul shipped out one thick washer and another small washer. Told me either the thick alone would work or use two small ones.

Question for other Motive owners, which washer combo works?
Old 04-15-2007, 02:22 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought mine last spring. Had no problems like that at all.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:32 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by outnumbered
I bought mine last spring. Had no problems like that at all.
Maybe you had a newer one with the thick washer? Guess I need to take some pics to show the difference.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:14 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Uhmm This may be too late, but dont put brake fluid IN the tank.

Use a 50 cc syrange or turkey baster to suck the old fluid out of the MC and put into an old bottle.

Put new brake fluid in the MC, pump to 12-15 psi then do the rear two calipers.

Release the pressure between the pressure cap and bottle, NOT the MC cap, put more fluid in the MC. Reattach the power bleeder cap and pump back up to 12-15 psi and do the front two calipers.

Release the pressure in the bottle again. and put more brake fluid if needed into the MC.

For a track car only put brake fluid to just above the 1/2 point in the tank ( brake fluid also expands when hot) for a street car fill to normal.

HTH
Tom
Old 04-15-2007, 03:22 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Use a 50 cc syrange or turkey baster to suck the old fluid out of the MC and put into an old bottle.

Release the pressure between the pressure cap and bottle, NOT the MC cap, put more fluid in the MC. Reattach the power bleeder cap and pump back up to 12-15 psi and do the front two calipers.

Release the pressure in the bottle again. and put more brake fluid if needed into the MC.

For a track car only put brake fluid to just above the 1/2 point in the tank ( brake fluid also expands when hot) for a street car fill to normal.

HTH
Tom
a bit too late.

I did drain the old fluid from the master cylinder, using the vacuum bleeder I have (which is how I finished the job).

Isn't the Motive designed to have the fluid in it? That's why they offer the industrial size model for the shops, right?

I did release pressure at the bottle, so got that right.

If I recall, our service manual calls for about 25psi for bleeding. I followed the bleed order in the manual.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:35 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Yes the Directions and a conversation I had with the Prez of Motive say put the brake fluid in the bottle.

However, you experiences one reason why you do should not put brake fluid in the bottle.

An other reason is you dont need as much brake fluid if you drain the MC and put the new brake fluid in the MC.

Do you have a GM Cap for the MC or did you make one?

I made my own cap for the MC with a pressure release valve ( ice maker 3-way valve)

Old 04-15-2007, 03:54 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

....Do you have a GM Cap for the MC or did you make one?....
Model 0108 is the GM cap.

Fits perfectly, just didn't have enough of a seal with the single thin washer in the box.

I'll try it again with the other washers. I'll take a pic later to see if I can show the thickness difference.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:20 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Hi AL;

I'v had mine for about 3 years. After sucking out the MC and refilling I put about a half qt. of fluid in the Motive tank and use 8 to 10 lbs. of pressure to bleed the total system, no problems. I'v also made up a cap like Au N Egl to do the clutch. If need be, I can dig mine out and check the thickness of the gasket.

Mike
Old 04-15-2007, 06:55 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

HTH
Tom

I used it with the fluid the first time and it worked perfectly. However once you put fluid in it the entire tank system needs to be cleaned thoroughly to avoid moisture accumulation. What a pita.

I will use it dry the next time.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:45 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Tom
I spoke to their salesman on the telephone, and they guided me to put the fluid IN the tank.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:06 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all the replies. In this picture, the washer on the right came in the box. The one in the middle is the same thickness and you can see the one on the left is thicker.

So, they told me to use the thick one or two thin ones, which is why I started the thread.

I'll test to see if it can hold pressure without fluid first. After that, I'll try another test with fluid. I've already bled the entire car (vacuum method), so at this point it's just to see if the Motive is worth keeping.

Name:  P1000202w.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  116.1 KB
Old 04-15-2007, 09:25 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I am going out to the garage to check mine for a comparison. I would certainly question using two at a time. That IMO would cause bypass.

Ok, my washer is 1/8" thick. Make sure there is no dirt/dust etc. on either side of the washer.

Last edited by outnumbered; 04-15-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:22 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
I spoke to their salesman on the telephone, and they guided me to put the fluid IN the tank.
YEs and that is what the Prez of the company told me too. I mentioned to him it works better,, less mess and no waisted brake fluid if you dont put fluid in the tank, but in the MC.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

I mentioned to him it works better,, less mess and no waisted brake fluid if you dont put fluid in the tank, but in the MC.
I don't put fluid in the tank either. Just the MC.....
Old 04-16-2007, 08:11 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 76 Posts

Default Bleeding brakes

YEs and that is what the Prez of the company told me too. I mentioned to him it works better,, less mess and no waisted brake fluid if you dont put fluid in the tank, but in the MC.
No fluid works great, no mess just don't forget to refill MC and check after each Caliper!!!!!!!!!!!!!JD
Old 04-16-2007, 12:01 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. I bought mine a year ago. It did not come with a bag of washers. It had one washer, installed on the cap. I have never had leaking problems with it from day one. Must of got lucky...

I agree on the dry method. The 1st time I used it I was doing a full flush and that was ok. But it makes a mess when you let the pressure out. I went to the dry method of just using it to create pressure. No mess and no wasted fluid.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:38 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TooManyIDs
Model 0108 is the GM cap.

Fits perfectly, just didn't have enough of a seal with the single thin washer in the box.

I'll try it again with the other washers. I'll take a pic later to see if I can show the thickness difference.
Anybody know what cap I should have for the '02 C5 Z06? 0108?

Also, if you pull the old fluid out of the MC with the syringe, how far down can you go? Do you have to make sure not to to below the min. fill line? or is allowing in air ok because you will bleed it anyway?

I like this idea of using the syringe, just want to make sure I get it right when the time comes for me to do this.

Get notified of new replies

To Motive Brake Bleeder

Old 04-16-2007, 03:13 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Anybody know what cap I should have for the '02 C5 Z06? 0108?
I made my cap out of a Autozone GM cap, $2.50. a GM 99 blazer was $9.95 and a 03 Corvette cap was $22.95 at the chevy parts counter. ALL three were the same cap. Go figure

Also, if you pull the old fluid out of the MC with the syringe, how far down can you go? Do you have to make sure not to to below the min. fill line? or is allowing in air ok because you will bleed it anyway?

I like this idea of using the syringe, just want to make sure I get it right when the time comes for me to do this.
I take as much out as I can, then pour new right back in.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Ryokosman
Cruising

+1 for no fluid in the tank. I just top the MC to the brim and pump it up.

Mine doesn't seal very well against the Master Cylinder unless you hold your tongue just right.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:50 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If everyone is recommending no fluid in the bleeder, why did I buy it? Why weren't any of you recommending making a cap, and attaching a compressor line with an inline dryer regulated down to 20psi or so?

I am a little disappointed, to hear all this talk now. I let you talk me into this, thinking that there was a benefit, and the Motive guys confirmed there was a benefit, by using the bleeder as the fluid resevoir for bleeding.

You guys aren't going to tell me that you have all this 'stuff' on your vette and in your garage, but you don't have a compressor, are you?

What gives? Why didn't someone chime up and say to build a pressure cap? Am I missing something here? I think I might have a GM Motive bleeder for sale...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motive Brake Bleeder