Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit Point SCCA Natl results...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 10:16 PM
jfaphoenix32
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Summit Point SCCA Natl results...

Q:

AJ
Lance
Hines
Pintarric

Results:

AJ
Kahn
Pintarric

More details to follow...

Last edited by jfaphoenix32; 04-15-2007 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:07 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations to Andy, Dr. Bob Kahn and Dave Pintaric on their podium finishes. Wish I could have been there.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:11 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Frank, we missed you. Not the same when one of the gang isn't there! However there are so newcomers to the T1 family. Rob Hines (of T2 fame) is in a C5, while David Sanders and Phil Di Pippo joined the fun at Summit Point. David is driving Mr. Heinricy's 2005 National Championship car (the yellow beauty) and Phil has an abolutely beautiful 2007 blue C6. Welcome to the family, guys!

T1 qualifying:

1. Andrew Aquilante (C5) 1:18.560
2. Lance Knupp (C5) 1:18.900
3. Rob Hines (C5) 1:19.297
4. David Sanders (C5) 1:19.621
5. David Pintaric (Viper) 1:19.926
6. Robert Kahn (C5) 1:20.621
7. Joe Gaudette (C5) 1:20.892
8. Jason Berkeley (C5) 1:21.174
9. Cliff Murray (C5) 1:22.612
10. Tim Hund (C6) 1:22.936
11. Philip Di Pippo (C6) 1:23.412
12. Judi Warren (C5) 1:26.872

I missed a critical shift on my best lap that caused me to add a few tenths to my time. I really don't qualify well, a problem I need to work on.

Race Results:

1. Andrew Aquilante 1:19.850
2. Bob Kahn 1:19.773
3. David Pintaric 1:19.480
4. Tim Hund 1:22.348
5. David Sanders 1:19.831
6. Jason Berkeley 1:21.964
7. Judi Warren 1:26.079
8. Joe Gaudette 1:21.236
9. Philip Di Pippo 1:23.047
10. Lance Knupp 1:19.682
11. Rob Hines 1:19.682

AJ said this was one of the easest races that he has won...I wonder how much more spped he and Lance had in them. I was running second after Lance DNFed due to a faulty clutch. He reported a weak clutch pedal atfer our qualifying session. To run as well as he did with a wounded car speaks volumes about his abilities behind the wheel of a car. Someone needs to get him out of amatuer racing...please.

Bob Kahn caught me on the next to last lap. We were running into some lapped traffic, he and I split a T3 car and Bob had the advantage. I had to let up "just so slightly" to avoid goosing the lapped car and that was all it took. It is good to see the wise-old doctor back to his old form. He and I always seem to qualify near each other and I have yet to beat him on the track. Someday...someday.

It was so good to see all those beautful Corvettes Saturday afternoon. Yes, I drive something other than a Vette, but I still like the looks of the C5. Maybe a C6 is in my future?

Last edited by BuckeyeZ06; 04-15-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:00 PM
JRD77VET
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Thanks for the write up Dave
Old 04-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Great writeup, Dave!

Good luck at Mid Ohio! Give 'em hell. I can't make it this month, but hope to see you at Mid Ohio in August!
Old 04-15-2007, 11:22 PM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Great being back out on track and seeing everyone after the long winter break! Firstly, a big kudos to the Stewards and folks of the Washington DC Region for having the foresight to see the weather trouble looming, and giving all of the drivers the option of proceeding with an abbreviated format so that everyone could get home before the bad stuff hit. Thanks for that!

About 90% of the drivers agreed to run a 20 minute am qually session, and 30 minute afternoon races.

I had alot of fun at my first race with Lance and the Lady Luck gang- a top notch group of folks! I was just hoping to get my car shaken down after the off-season post-Runoffs disaster rebuild, and try to get a handle on my shocks that I had reconfigured to triple adjustables before the Runoffs. For the most part, mission accomplished for me. The car ran great for the most part, and I got a decent base-line on the shocks. Some more minor shock and tire pressure adjustments based on what we saw during the race should help out some more, too.

Unfortunately, at some point during qualifying before my fast lap, a rear stabilizer bar mount broke, which made the car's handling a bit goofy. I also botched my 3-4 upshift coming out of turn ten on my fast lap which probably added a couple of tenths.

MID-PACK RACE STORY:

With the stab-bar mount fixed, I was pretty excited about the race. I had a good start and managed to get by Joe Gaudette who had qualified just ahead of me, with Cliff Murry right behind me. The three of us had a great race for about the first 2/3 - 3/4 of the race. Cliff had also gotten by Joe, so it was myself, with Cliff and Joe behind. Cliff was pressing hard, and made a nice clean pass, outbreaking me into turn 1 about 1/3-1/2 way through the race. I kept him within a couple of car lengths to ten or so car lengths depending on traffic. In the mean time, Joe was filling my mirrors at certain parts of the track, and I seemed a bit quicker in other parts. I hit some lapped traffic going into nine and got slowed, while Joe timed it perfectly and was right on my a$$ going down into ten. He got a great run on me and made a nice clean pass into turn 1. Cliff Joe and I seemed to be equidistant at about ten car lnegths or so between us the rest of the race, until Cliff got black-flagged for sound on about the same lap that Joe had his LF studs break and wheel depart at turn 10. A major bummer for both guys. We had a fun race up to that point, but now I was pretty much by myself on the track in 5th.

I started having major fuel pick-up problems with about four laps to go (and just under half a tank of fuel according to the gage), which let Tim Hund get by me. Tim's C6 is a sweet looking ride! I guess after 106,000 miles, and four seasons of racing, it's time to replace my fuel-pumps and tank internals! The car is back at Phoenix for a brief visit to take care of this, and hopefully ready to go for the next one.

Thanks to all of the SSC, SSB, T3, and T2 folks- I think that with some pretty big speed differentials, it looked (from my vantage point, anyway) like everyone did a good job of keeping their eyes open and letting the other classes races go on un-impeded while another race moved-on past.

Great seeing everyone and welcome to the new folks in T1.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:13 AM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Keep an eye on that Sanders guy, he's just getting warmed up as a rookie in T-1!

Nice fast laps fellas!
Old 04-16-2007, 06:05 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was on the phone with Joe last night... He's lucky he didn't flip his car... T10 is a very fast right hander that dumps you onto the front straight. Joe's left front wheel came OFF the car at the apex and sent him track out into the gravel trap. Thankfully the car didn't dig in and roll...

It's a shame, because this is his home track and he was doing very well until that point.
Mike
Old 04-16-2007, 07:08 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I was on the phone with Joe last night... He's lucky he didn't flip his car... T10 is a very fast right hander that dumps you onto the front straight. Joe's left front wheel came OFF the car at the apex and sent him track out into the gravel trap. Thankfully the car didn't dig in and roll...

It's a shame, because this is his home track and he was doing very well until that point.
Mike
Does Joe have any idea what caused the stud to break (age?) or what? Thankfully he came out all right.

Good write up, Jason!
Old 04-16-2007, 07:29 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Laps 1-5 for your viewing pleasure...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZGKQVdGKEA

Jody, Joe G is only 35 years old. I don't think his age had anything to do with his (ahem) studs breaking...
Old 04-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice one Dave!

Joe said he had 4 races and the NCM event at CMP on those studs... Just changed out before the run-offs, so he's clueless as to why it happened... He said he'll be upgrading to ARP units while it's down being repaired...

I'll let Rhonda Chime in on the "other" stud issues, if there are any!

Mike
Old 04-16-2007, 07:27 PM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Just a NCCC cone knocker at his first T1 race and all I can say is YOU GUYS ROCK

Drove up with another cone knocker to watch and lend a hand if needed to Tim and Rob in the 23 and 4 cars. Really enjoyed meeting a couple of you guys and the in car vid is too

Have run Roebling, Rockingham, and CMP in Group 2 ZR-1 and Z16 Z06 but you guys give it a whole new perspective

Best of luck to all of you during the season, hope to hook up with the circuit again this year
Old 04-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Rear Engine
Advanced

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
Laps 1-5 for your viewing pleasure...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZGKQVdGKEA

Jody, Joe G is only 35 years old. I don't think his age had anything to do with his (ahem) studs breaking...
Cool vid, what are the shift points? Meaning what is the mph for the shift into 3rd, 4th, and 5th? Those gears/shift points almost exactly where I shift in my "backwards" car except I take 10 in 3rd and never shift to 5th on the straight.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 04-19-2007, 01:39 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was a long weekend to say the least, but considering what happened I am in pretty good spirits and the car doesn't appear to be too bad. It's up at Phoenix right now getting a once over for all damage and safety related items. The tough part to swallow is at the time of the failure I was running 4th due in part to Murray getting the Black flag right before my incident. Top 5 in the crowd I was in, yeah, I'm damn proud of that. Especially since I just found out my car is about 25hp off of everyone else. I'll be starting another thread with a recap of my weekend when I get home from work tomorrow, so stay tuned!

Joe

Get notified of new replies

To Summit Point SCCA Natl results...

Quick Reply: Summit Point SCCA Natl results...