Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im guessing my car isnt set up for AutoX?

Old 04-14-2007, 03:01 PM
B-rent
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Default Im guessing my car isnt set up for AutoX?

The more I watch and read about autocross the more I want to do it, but im pretty sure my set up isnt correct. Do you think I could get away with doing some noob runs and maybe just having fun autocrossing without ever getting serious, or would it not even be worth it and I should stick to the drag strip?

98 vert, auto, supercharged, runflats (i know they suck), baer cross drilled rotors, lowered front and rear, harness bar, 5pts.

and the other mods are in the sig

Or anything I can change to get me a better set up (besides tranny swap, selling the s/c cause that would cost to much lol)

Last edited by B-rent; 04-14-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:09 PM
MazdaRob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B-rent
The more I watch and read about autocross the more I want to do it, but im pretty sure my set up isnt correct. Do you think I could get away with doing some noob runs and maybe just having fun autocrossing without ever getting serious, or would it not even be worth it and I should stick to the drag strip?

98 vert, auto, supercharged, runflats (i know they suck), baer cross drilled rotors, lowered front and rear, harness bar, 5pts.

Or anything I can change to get me a better set up (besides tranny swap, selling the s/c cause that would cost to much lol)
You can always try it. If you do not like it you can stop. Even if your car is not ideally set up for AX, you may have fun just competing, then you may decide to get serious and either improve it or buy something more set up for AX. Either way it is inexpensive to just go and have fun and beats staying home doing chores.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:14 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Don't worry about it.
You know what the biggest challenge is on your 1st autocross?
Finding your way around the course.

Just get out and get some seat time, and above all else enjoy yourself!
Old 04-14-2007, 03:28 PM
B-rent
Le Mans Master

Cool thanks guys
Old 04-14-2007, 03:45 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah. Go do it. You'll likely be a bit lost the first time out, but it's kinda addictive. I have great respect for the autox set now that I've tried it a little.

Stock, the A4 corvette is pretty well set up for most autocross in second gear. Not sure how yours will be with the FI.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:48 PM
B-rent
Le Mans Master

Ill be lost for a while id guess Hopefully Ill get some tips and info at a forum meet or something, so well see.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:20 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ill be lost for a while id guess Hopefully Ill get some tips and info at a forum meet or something, so well see.
Look ahead. Have fun.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:31 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Go try it and see if you like it before you spend any money on autocross mods. The only exception would be a helmet if you don't already have one. Owning your own helmet makes life so much better, and you can use it drag racing as well.

Once your are there, walk the course twice. Get there early for that. If you local group allows it, ride with as many other people as possible.

On your first run, don't push it hard, instead try to get a feel for and learn the course. I've been autocrossing for four years, and I still have to do this. Start pushing for good times once you know the course.

If after a few events you do like it and want a better suspension set up, I know this works:

Z51/Z06 (same) front spring
Z51 rear spring
Z06 front sway bar
Z51/Z06 (same) rear sway bar
2004 Z06 shocks

That combo works great on a C5 coupe, and the parts are not expesive at all.

The run flats are going to kill your times once you are able to push it. They suck. If you want to autocross on street tires, stock stock Z06 Super Car tires are great and so are Michelin Pilot Sports.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:01 PM
B-rent
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZBRA
Go try it and see if you like it before you spend any money on autocross mods. The only exception would be a helmet if you don't already have one. Owning your own helmet makes life so much better, and you can use it drag racing as well.

Once your are there, walk the course twice. Get there early for that. If you local group allows it, ride with as many other people as possible.

On your first run, don't push it hard, instead try to get a feel for and learn the course. I've been autocrossing for four years, and I still have to do this. Start pushing for good times once you know the course.

If after a few events you do like it and want a better suspension set up, I know this works:

Z51/Z06 (same) front spring
Z51 rear spring
Z06 front sway bar
Z51/Z06 (same) rear sway bar
2004 Z06 shocks

That combo works great on a C5 coupe, and the parts are not expesive at all.

The run flats are going to kill your times once you are able to push it. They suck. If you want to autocross on street tires, stock stock Z06 Super Car tires are great and so are Michelin Pilot Sports.
Great info Im saving up for a second set of wheels and helmet. Imma keep the ones I have with runflats for long drives and daily use, and then get some nice black zo6 wheels and tires for events.

Some questions after reading your info is:
What level of helmet is allowed?
Mine is a vert, with a hardtop and is that ok without a roll bar?

Good news is I already got the zo6 bars and metal endlinks i have the adjustable suspension, not sure what it is though

Old 04-14-2007, 06:02 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Lots of good information in this sticky at the top of this section: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=673766 This is a good read: http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm Read thru the various posts and then go get some seat time.

The mods can come after you get some experience in the car and on various courses. For the first year, you can run as a Novice almost anywhere in spite of the mods you have. Having a supercharger will put you into a class with some pretty fast cars but the trick is to learn by watching, trying, asking questions, riding with experienced racers, even having an experienced driver run your car with you as a passenger.

Most clubs and groups will have training or school events where you can pick up a lot of good tips. And get seat time That is the best thing you can do to become good. Then get more seat time

Having your own helmet is a plus as you get one that fits your head and you don't have to worry about what other heads (with issues) have been in there before. Don't scrimp on a helmet. Get a Snell SA2005 rated helmet and it will serve for auto-x, drag racing and track days. Don't bother with a M-rated (motorcycle) helmet. Good open face SA2005 helmets are available from Bell, Simpson, G-Force and others for around $250; full-face helmets are more but offer enhanced protection. Try some on if you can.

Then get seat time with it.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:14 PM
B-rent
Le Mans Master

Thanks again for all the help from every body on here. I usually hang out in Off Topic and C5 General I cant wait to give it a try and Ill most likely spend the rest of this weekend reading all the posts in this section
Old 04-14-2007, 06:27 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Good open face SA2005 helmets are available from Bell, Simpson, G-Force and others for around $250; full-face helmets are more but offer enhanced protection. Try some on if you can.

Then get seat time with it.
Pyrotech makes a good open face SA2005 for $150 in white or black.

Did anyone mention -- "Get lots of seat time?" It's the best money you can spend.

--Dan
Old 04-14-2007, 09:26 PM
corvettenilesg
Intermediate

You need to leave your ego at home, because much less cars will be schooling you for sometime to come. The two biggest improvements for improving times:

1. improving the driver, seat time, seat time, seat time
2. good tires

A supercharger is normally thought to give better linear acceleration then turbo cars with their sudden acceleration, which is bad in autocrossing.

The supercharger will probably put your car into Street Modified 2 class, a very advanced class, but you can still run novice driver class. You will find that most cars in SM2 will be running all the wheel and tire they can get under their car.

Go out and check it out, get a feel for the sport, have fun.
I have a automatic, although it is not the prefer option, I still have fun. Convertibles are not the preferred car in autocrossing, a coupe or hardtop will handle better in autocrossing, but as a beginner this doesn't matter, you could have the perfect car for autocrossing, but it will take some time for the new driver to become fast.

Good luck.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:52 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

B-rent,

First off, as mentioned above, read through the sticky at the top.

Second, understand that the thing in your car that isn't set up the most for autocross is you!

Third, when you get to the event, ask for an instructor; there's usually several available.

Make sure and let us know how it goes.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-15-2007, 12:04 AM
B-rent
Le Mans Master

Will do, get info on here
Old 04-15-2007, 01:58 AM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Don't scrimp on a helmet. Get a Snell SA2005 rated helmet and it will serve for auto-x, drag racing and track days. Don't bother with a M-rated (motorcycle) helmet. Good open face SA2005 helmets are available from Bell, Simpson, G-Force and others for around $250; full-face helmets are more but offer enhanced protection. Try some on if you can.

I got an open face because I like them better. Driver comfort is a factor as well, and I'm not comfortable in a full face.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:17 PM
MazdaRob
Instructor

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
B-rent,

First off, as mentioned above, read through the sticky at the top.

Second, understand that the thing in your car that isn't set up the most for autocross is you!

Third, when you get to the event, ask for an instructor; there's usually several available.

Make sure and let us know how it goes.

Have a good one,
Mike
Check out some of Mike's AX video, he can hustle the car around the track.

Also, our club(THSCC)has plenty of folks who will be glad to ride with you at an AX, some even have corvettes. The other clubs in NC are the same. Just don't let VMS4EVR scare you off, he can actually do a pretty good job at AX when he puts his mind to it.

You can look for me too.

Rob

Get notified of new replies

To Im guessing my car isnt set up for AutoX?

Old 04-15-2007, 08:22 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by MazdaRob
Check out some of Mike's AX video, he can hustle the car around the track.
Wow, thanks for the props. My last video was my favorite of the year, but I still think I left some on table:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QowaUEaL_A

And the previous event I left quite a bit on the table on the first slalom (sorry about the shaky video, my first mount wasn't near stout enough):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCU_pdCG20Y

and tried to get a bit too much on the back side of the course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkVy75nDuTE

Great thing about autocross is that, if the course is set up well, there's very little risk to your car (and virtually none to the driver).

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-15-2007, 11:10 PM
B-rent
Le Mans Master

Sweet Ill check out the vids one my tv shows are done tonight
Old 04-16-2007, 09:27 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Just get out there!!!!!!!!! Just be prepared, it is addictive, and a hole will quickly develop in your wallet

Seriously though, I did my very first full track weekend 100% stock, including runflats. The car was still better than I was that first time out - your setup is fine - go have some fun!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Im guessing my car isnt set up for AutoX?