Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XXXL Helmet Recommendations

Old 04-14-2007, 11:50 AM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default XXXL Helmet Recommendations

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a new helmet for my 8 1/2 size head! I am currently using a XXXL Arai motorcycle helmet. I'm looking for a SA2005full face helmet and would appreciate any recommendation.

I see that Bell offers the M3 Pro Xtra up to size 8 1/2 and as well as a new helmet this year called the M4 in XXXL.

Does anyone have experience with either of these or other XXXL size helmets?

Thanks,

John
Old 04-14-2007, 12:33 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bell helments are the only thing that go on my head.

Randy
Old 04-14-2007, 12:35 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey what's up fellow convertible with roll bar guy! You got any better pics of your setup that your avatar?
Old 04-14-2007, 08:32 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I need to take some additional pictures of the car with the roll bar installed. It's a stock wolfe racecraft 6 point with removable door bar.

I like the look and I do feel safer on track. However, it has all the shortcomings others have posted (rubs top of seat and is close to your head). Since this picture, I've installed a Cobra Imola seat which resolved of both issues

j

Last edited by JohnD60; 04-17-2007 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:44 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I love my ARAI SA05.
Bieffie was good until they went under.
Stand 21, although very popular with high end teams, I didn't like them at all. hardly any padding in there. and you adjust sizing by changing padding attached with velcro. So if you have a big head, = less padding.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:14 PM
Too Tall Bob
Racer

I've always had trouble finding a large helmet when I was riding offroad motorcycles, but when it came to an automotive SA helmet, that became a real problem.

I found the Bell M3 Xtra in 8 1/4 and it is the best fitting helmet I have ever worn! It's not one of those "Make the padding thinner" type of helmets that many of my offroad helmets seemed to be, but it is a larger shell with LOTS of comfortable padding and is scaled for the larger head.

I give the Bell M3 Xtra 5-stars!

(BTW, if there is any way possible to try one on before you buy it, try to do so. I have always had to buy "Whatever the biggest XXXL helmet you have in stock" to fit my head. I figured that I had to buy an 8 1/2 M3 Xtra too, but the guy talked me into the 8 1/4 and it fits perfectly.)

Last edited by Too Tall Bob; 04-15-2007 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Because I forgot something, that's why!
Old 04-16-2007, 10:45 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Bob. That does appear to be the helmet of choice for large size heads. I'm struggling to find a place near Austin TX to try one on.

Also, it appears Bell is offering a new version of the M4 helmet this year in XXXL which looks interesting as well. It's probably too soon for me to find someone who tried one of these.

Thanks again,

John
Old 04-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Too Tall Bob
Racer

John,
As important as helmet fit is, you might want to order both sizes and then just ship back the one that you don't want. For the extra $20-30 in shipping, it might be worth it so you get the one you want without guessing.

However, in the past whenever I have tried on Bell helmets, I've found that they are a little smaller than a typical helmet from another manufacturer in the same size. I thought that I might have had to go one size larger than normal, but that was not the case with this helmet. The dealer I purchased mine from suggested that I use the measurement of my head and match it to the Bell helmets chart, and it fit perfectly.

I've bought ALOT of helmets in the past, and this is by far the most comfortable one I've had yet!

Good luck!

Last edited by Too Tall Bob; 04-17-2007 at 11:16 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To XXXL Helmet Recommendations

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XXXL Helmet Recommendations