Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balancing corner weights...worth it for the street?

Old 04-14-2007, 06:31 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Balancing corner weights...worth it for the street?

A friend of mine has access to a set a corner scales, is it worth it to balance my '06 for mostly street driving?
Old 04-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Cape Cod Bob
Account disabled by user request 2 March 2009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my own personal experience I would say NO.
I could not drive in a straight line on the highway. The car would dart from side to side. I would constantly have to input steering corrections to maintain a somewhat straight line.
Bob
Old 04-14-2007, 09:22 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

NO-------

Not unless you do it perfectly.....Put on Hoosier's....and think you can outrun Helicopters......

If you want to lighten the car----then go on a diet.

TOTALLY POINTLESS FOR THE STREET

Manufacturer probably assumes 1/2 fuel load 180 lbs driver........

You could probably corner weight it and never know the difference on the street....unless you were driving 10/10ths..........and at that rate you would ball up the car in no time.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:34 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

Totally disagree. If you have adjustable end links for your bars, it can eliminate bar shift and the clunking that happens when the bar slides up against the control arm.

Also, may cars I've seen directly from GM have the corner weights off by hundreds of pounds.

I agree that it won't be a noticable performance gain, but it can help prevent contact issues, and avoid certain types of tire wear in extreme cases.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:49 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

My 04 Z06 has a track alignment, and is cornerbalanced and bumpsteered, and it drives perfectly on the street, with no handling or tire wear issues (yet). A year ago, I drove it on a 4200 mile road trip. It tracks straight with hands off. Don't know why you would not want it done.....However, I have "0" ZERO toe. Do not align with toe out.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Totally disagree. If you have adjustable end links for your bars, it can eliminate bar shift and the clunking that happens when the bar slides up against the control arm.

Also, may cars I've seen directly from GM have the corner weights off by hundreds of pounds.

I agree that it won't be a noticable performance gain, but it can help prevent contact issues, and avoid certain types of tire wear in extreme cases.
David is right, you won't notice a lot, but if a car is aligned and corner weighted a discerning driver can feel it. I used to be able to feel the difference turning left as opposed to right on my C4's, since the ability to cornerweight a stock class car was limited, but with the Z driving it hard on the street in places is a pleasure. Depends on how far out of square your cars was in the first place, but you won't know if you don't do it.

If it doesn't cost you anything, do it and enjoy...
Old 04-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Cape Cod Bob

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

Wish I had the car still with the adjustable endlinks and corner balancing I'd let you drive it and then you'd know exactly how it sucked.
And I didn't do this myself in the corner of my garage. I had a highly respectable race car shop do it.
Also I found out(after the fact)that the Z06 is prettly well balanced (mine was off about 1 or 2%) so it was a total waste of $$ for me.
Now maybe the older cars carry a different story but my C6 Z06 was in pretty good shape right out of the box.
So, I ripped off those adjustable endlinks and put the car back the way it was, and now I can go down the highway or around some cones, without the car searching all over the place.

Bob
Old 04-14-2007, 06:33 PM
fcarga
Instructor

I vote for corner weighting. However, if you have a "crappy" alignment, the car is out of square, bad/worn tires, cut bushings etc, corner weighting won't be worth a damn. Also lots of shops say they can do alignments and corner weighting and they don't know "jack". Go ask these people what the proper ride height is and where it's measured, ask them what the proper torque values are and you'll find very few competent shops. Just ask the guys the difference in how their cars feel and perform after someplace like Phoenix set up their car.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:41 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by fcarga
I vote for corner weighting. However, if you have a "crappy" alignment, the car is out of square, bad/worn tires, cut bushings etc, corner weighting won't be worth a damn. Also lots of shops say they can do alignments and corner weighting and they don't know "jack". Go ask these people what the proper ride height is and where it's measured, ask them what the proper torque values are and you'll find very few competent shops. Just ask the guys the difference in how their cars feel and perform after someplace like Phoenix set up their car.

Might not help depends on your sensativity and how far off your car is.
Mine wasn't off a lot but I sure like the difference.
BTW mine was done by Phoenix! Great job
Old 04-14-2007, 09:43 PM
corvettenilesg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fcarga
I had my 1997 corvette corner weighted and a mild autocross alignment by Danny Popp and it drove much better on the highway, less darting back and forth... and it really corners much better.
(you don't want a full autocross alignment on the street, I believe that will make the car dart left and right on the highway)
Unless your friend really knows what he is doing, I would leave it alone, or have a real professional do the corner weighting, alignment, car height, etc. complete package.

Last edited by corvettenilesg; 04-14-2007 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:14 AM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alignment #1, for daily and track. Cornerweighting (done right) #2 for track. Saw little difference daily. I'll keep you on the track during those "little suprises".

Turns out my car was only 50 lbs off before C/W. Now, off only 2 (yes, 2 lbs!!!).
Old 04-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kelp
...Turns out my car was only 50 lbs off before C/W. Now, off only 2 (yes, 2 lbs!!!).
Is that with or without the driver in the car?
Old 04-15-2007, 01:36 PM
kelp
Drifting

Originally Posted by Miaugi
Is that with or without the driver in the car?
Er, duh. Sorry, with. 185 lbs - both shoes attached.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:45 AM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like some of the issues raised are alignment issues, not corner-weighting. At the risk of sounding "parental", if you drive hard enough on the street to really need your car corner-weighted, I hope I live no where near you. Go to a track day and let your car do what it was made to do!
Old 04-16-2007, 09:07 AM
Cape Cod Bob

Originally Posted by Bimota Guy
Sounds like some of the issues raised are alignment issues, not corner-weighting. At the risk of sounding "parental", if you drive hard enough on the street to really need your car corner-weighted, I hope I live no where near you. Go to a track day and let your car do what it was made to do!
Nope, you don't sound parential, just uninformed.
Not sure of the others here but I race my car mainly at high speed autox's. Have done many, many track days going back to the early 90's. Any car setup that is beyond my tools or expertise I have done by the best shops I can find (to my knowledge) in the northeast.
I had my car cornerweighted last year (and aligned) by what I thought was the best race shop here in the eastern U.S.
Simple truth is that my times and the car's performance were compromised after that was done. Began to think I was just entering the "old fart" stage of my life and maybe I should take up golf.
Since I don't give up easily, I thought I'd try taking off the adjustable end links, and putting the car back to the way it was.
BINGO, back fast again!
So, maybe the work was not done correctly. Maybe the alignment was off.
All I know is the car is performing the way I want it to now and I'm happy with the way it's handling. I suppose I could go back to the shop and have them redo the job. It's a 7 hour drive from my house.
But I'm not interested in playing around with the cornerbalancing anymore and the car is performing great.
Now, if I lived near Danny Popp, I would definitely see him.
Bob
Old 04-16-2007, 10:22 AM
kelp
Drifting

Interesting. Your reversibility of "improvements" to restore performance verifies that something was wrong. I do not really know what could have happened. My cornerweighting was done with me in the car, but when I installed the T-1 bars, I was not in the car (uh, well....of course, I was beneath it!). Thus my links were not preloaded. Perhaps yours were and it does not work well that way. Some of these things do not make realy good sense, I try to figure them out best I can. Conclusion: I would definately try again - with another shop, or some friends who have scales.

Oh, BTW I C/W with 1/2 tank of gas.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bob
Nope, you don't sound parential, just uninformed.
CCB, I am confused since your original reply was NOT to CW for street use. Suggest you re-read mine which concurs.

Regards,
-Steve
Old 04-18-2007, 05:44 PM
rickkym
Instructor

I was thinking about having my car corner weighted, but it's suspension is a stock 97 setup. Can it still be corner weighted or do you need adjustable end links (that would make sense).

How much does the corner weighting typically cost, and would a stock suspension really benifit?

(Hope I'm not thread-jacking)

Thanks!!
Old 04-18-2007, 06:56 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by rickkym
I was thinking about having my car corner weighted, but it's suspension is a stock 97 setup. Can it still be corner weighted or do you need adjustable end links (that would make sense).

How much does the corner weighting typically cost, and would a stock suspension really benifit?

(Hope I'm not thread-jacking)
Thanks!!
That's ok Info is what it's about!
Yes you really need adjustable end links Vette Brakes & products in Fla. about $110

aside from that your car is the same as all of ours in the adjustability department!
Corner weighting is just the icing on the cake. When you get the alignment right it makes sure it is equalized between left and right cornering. If you use non adjustable links it may (probably) will put a preload on the sway bars which will negate (some what) the corner weighting.

Get notified of new replies

To Balancing corner weights...worth it for the street?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Balancing corner weights...worth it for the street?