Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 aligment Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 02:30 PM
coolblue65
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C4 aligment Q's

I wanted to see what everyone thinks of this alignment setup, searched over previous threads and have looked at Vette brakes page as well to come up with something somewhere in the middle.

Front:

Toe 0"
Camber -.75 to -1.0
Caster +6

Rear:

Toe 1/8" in
Camber -.5 to -.75

Background info: '92 A4, I have previously upgraded to C5 front brakes, last season I added a trans cooler and Carbotechs pads, xp11's in front and xp8s in rear. I just put in a 3.07 and added urethane bushings, and will be slightly lowering the car 1"-1.5". I drive my vette on the street a LOT not every day but usually all weekend and 1 or 2 weeknights. I autox 2-3 times a year and do 2-3 HPDEs a year, I don't want excessive tire wear but I want improved handling ;actually I want the best of both worlds- not possible I know, but I want it as close as I can get.

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2007, 03:27 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

You want 0 toe for the street, excessive toe is what eats tires the most.

At the track you want some toe out. It's easy to set at the track, just mark the toe links with some tape and reset before you hit the street. Clampshell hoods are good about that.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:59 PM
coolblue65
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
You want 0 toe for the street, excessive toe is what eats tires the most.

At the track you want some toe out. It's easy to set at the track, just mark the toe links with some tape and reset before you hit the street. Clampshell hoods are good about that.
Do I want 0 toe for both front and rear or are you just talking about the front? I have no problem messing with the toe myself once I get the alignment set.

As far as the camber #'s, do those seem to be a decent compromise?
Old 04-09-2007, 04:00 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Just the front.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

We are similar for cars and their use. I have found that the racing will wear the tires out pretty quick so you may find you won't have to change alignment. BTW how did the trans. cooler do? I just finished installing one, and brake ducts.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:03 PM
coolblue65
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
We are similar for cars and their use. I have found that the racing will wear the tires out pretty quick so you may find you won't have to change alignment. BTW how did the trans. cooler do? I just finished installing one, and brake ducts.
I put the trans cooler on along with fresh B&M fluid after my first track day because the trans would get so hot that fluid would bubble out the top vent, then drip on to the exhaust on sweeping high speed turns....causing lots of smoke! Since I installing the trans cooler I have not had that problem.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

I put a trans temp gauge in last week, on a 45° day the pan was 110° at cruise and 130° around town. Output temp is usually around 30-40° more. I can't wait to see what the temps are this summer. I put a cooler in but am waiting to attach the final hoses till it gets warmer. With the above temps it looks like I'll have to block the cooler in fall/winter/spring. I've done everything I can think of to lower the oil and coolant temps though. With a 180° thermostat I run 185° coolant and 195° oil temps, at Road America and on the street. I haven't run at RA in the heat of the summer yet though. I signed up for RA on the 15th with the F-body club, I'll attach the cooler for that.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:05 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coolblue65
Rear:

Toe 1/8" in
Camber -.5 to -.75
With that camber in the back you may want to run a little more up front, I think the rule of thumb is 1/2 deg more in the front than in the rear.

You may want to add some more toe in for the rear. I have a 93 A4 coupe that I a/x a lot and found that with 3/16" in on the rear I was still getting some snap oversteer.

There was an interesting discussion about it here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1647201

Get notified of new replies

To C4 aligment Q's

Quick Reply: C4 aligment Q's